What can I get away with?

Options
Im totally new to this whole getting and shape thing. I have never been satisfied withmy body and decided to stop whining about it and start doing something! Theres a few things I hate.. Running or jogging, gyms, and not being able to enjoy a poutine very once in a while.. Do I sound hopeless? Any ideas what activities I can do to tone up? Food ideas? Exercise programs? How often I should be working out? Ive been consuming no more then 1500 cals a day. Switched to water instead of juice and pop, only eat whole wheat products, and started to add healthy granola bars and fruit as snacks. What else!!

Replies

• Strobins05
    Strobins05 Posts: 716
    Options
    Get up and MOVE. Congrats on making this change in your life but you have got to find ways to be active! Walk, buy some free weights or DVD's to workout to and stick to it. There are TONS of things you can do to exercise at home, you just have to have the WILL and DRIVE to do it. Much success to you!
  • stanthia
    Options
    You will learn by trial and error. For now, I'm sticking to 1200 calories a day (unless it's a day I exercise). You don't have to go total deprivation. I love Dove's Dark Chocolates with Almonds so I eat three of those every day, savoring each one. I think we tend to eat too fast so I really try to slow down and focus on the flavor and texture of what I'm eating. I bought some beautiful smaller plates so my meal fills up the plate. Drink lots of water. For a fun way to exercise, you can take a Zumba class or order the DVDs and do it at home. It's more fun with a friend. Best of luck!
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Great start! My advice, as mentioned, is just to MOVE. Walk on lunch break. Do a plank when commercials come on TV. Right now, do 50 jumping jacks. All the little things add up. As for the poutine. I had one today! Just exercise a bit more to fit it into your calorie goal
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Your still kinda whining....

Our brains are not static, overtime we've programmed them to think a certain way. We can reprogram them.

At any rate, get up an move: walk, ride a bike, etc. Once you get more fit try the gym again, you might like the gym after you are fitter and you brain experiences the positive feeling a workout brings.

As for the poutine...avoid it at first, eat healthy. Here is what I discovered, by eating healthy for 3 months I reprogrammed my brain so problem foods were no-longer attractive to me. If you eat healthy and enjoy the benifits of doing so, it is very likely poutine will no longer appeal to you.
  • srathfelder
    Options
    I've lost 60 lbs since January by just watching what I eat (I'm doing Weight Watchers) and walking. My husband and I have just recently gotten our bikes out and fixed up to start riding. I try and walk everyday, but I have a son with a form of Muscular Dystrophy and epilepsy so it doesn't always go the way I want it to. A friend invited me here to MFP and I have learned how to use those Weight Watcher points much more effectively comparing the points and calories.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Try to join a high intensity exercise class twice a week. I joined Bootcamp and have been only doing that consistently twice a week and I reached my goal.

Now that I have reached my goal, I decided to try a Triathlon and so I added a 3rd workout to my week at the pool.

I don't want exercise to dominate my life. I enjoy movies and hanging out with my bf. I don't want to have a hard lifestyle to maintain.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I HATE HATE HATE exercising, too, but unfortunately it has to be done in SOME fashion. I do Power 90, 5-6 days a week, and I moan and groan every night before having to do it, but I always feel SO good after it's done, and it's really paying off!!!! You definitely need to find some sort of activity... it's not all about weight loss either..your heart needs it. Go hiking, bike riding, swimming, or even just walking. Find something that you love to do and do it regularly.... it sounds like you have a great start with your diet, but the body also need exercise and activity!
  • karae16
    karae16 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I totally understand the poutine-craving- just try to limit it to one a month or so. Or try to substitute it with low-cal oven french fries and gravy.

As for exercising if you hate running/jogging just go for a medium-intensity walk. Honestly last summer I started going for 1.5 hour walks 4 times a week and eating better (but not keeping track of my food as i do here) and I lost 20 pounds.

Also I was surprised how many calories you can burn doing house chores. I know it sounds strange but just scrub floors for a few hours and you'll have a clean house and a few hundred calories burned.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Im totally new to this whole getting and shape thing. I have never been satisfied withmy body and decided to stop whining about it and start doing something! Theres a few things I hate.. Running or jogging, gyms, and not being able to enjoy a poutine very once in a while.. Do I sound hopeless? Any ideas what activities I can do to tone up? Food ideas? Exercise programs? How often I should be working out? Ive been consuming no more then 1500 cals a day. Switched to water instead of juice and pop, only eat whole wheat products, and started to add healthy granola bars and fruit as snacks. What else!!

I had to Google poutine to see what it was. It looked kind of disgusting to me, but if you really like it then have it occasionally. Just don't have it every day and eat light for your other meals that day.

Otherwise just stick to plenty of veggies, lean meats, vegetable fats, fruit and whole grains most of the time. Keep your sugar and sodium levels low and meet your protein and fat goals. It's okay to splurge now and then. Skinny people do it too.

For exercise, have you tried Zumba? It's really fun!
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    Options
    i hate working out, too. huh. i've found a few things that are working now/have worked in the past:
    roller-skating
    swimming
    dance
    yoga
    biking - i got my first bike since junior high this summer. i'm working on staying upright. ;o) but i learned to love the stationary bike because i can do other things at the same time - read, listen to music, watch tv, play video games...and yeah, there's going to be people who say "if you can do something else while you're doing it, you aren't doing it right!" but i'm starting easy. when it gets *too* easy, i up the resistance.
    eventually i'm going to have to find some exercise that's more intense, but for now, since my body hates me and i'm really out of shape, any exercise is good exercise.
  • AmberLeighD
    Options
    If you don't like the gym due to the amount of people... I go after 9pm or before 7am and find it much thinner crowd. Love 24 hour gyms! :)

If you don't like regular exercising..swimming is awesome for those that love water!
  • AmberLeighD
    Options

I had to Google poutine to see what it was. It looked kind of disgusting to me, but if you really like it then have it occasionally. Just don't have it every day and eat light for your other meals that day.

Went to Canada one summer and tried Poutine... soooo goood!!! Looks can be deceiving. (burger king had them in Ontario)
  • NoSpandex
    Options
    OK, I had to know what poutine was, so I googled it. Yikes! The pictures were bad enough, but then I read the description of ingredients. Wow. Don't believe I could choke down a bite. It must be an acquired regional taste. This is what I read. Is that accurate, or is somebody pulling my leg?

http://members.shaw.ca/kcic1/poutine.html
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio and don't do much of it, and it hasn't stalled my results (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/689196-why-you-shouldn-t-listen-to-the-scale-pics). My new love when it comes to exercising is body weight exercises. Just Google it and you will find plenty of free exercises. To spice it up I do them in either ladders or pyramids. Ladders are when you choose a set amount of time like 5 minutes and then you decided your max reps like 5. Then you would 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 (do the number of reps at each step, so 1 push up, 2 push ups, etc) until your times runs out and rest in between each set, typically the same amount of time it took you to complete your reps (I got this from the Your Are Your Own Gym-Highly recommend it) and pyramids are a little harder to describe, but they are awesome. I wrote a blog post describing them: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jnhu72/view/pyramid-work-outs-363234. I did a pyramid of bench press, leg lifts, and 14" step ups today and it was a killer work out for me. My total was 100 bench presses, 200 leg lifts, and 300 14" step ups.
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    and yeah, there's going to be people who say "if you can do something else while you're doing it, you aren't doing it right!" but i'm starting easy.

Hey, it's a start at least your not laying on the couch doing those things, so I say great job!