What do you eat for bedtime/midnight snacks?

KaitieBug
KaitieBug Posts: 559 Member
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
My old problem is back: I wake up in the middle of the night, many times, and at least one of those times I'm hungry. I had nixed my middle-of-the-night hunger, but since I keep waking up, it's returned :grumble: And no matter what I try to choose, I will go even farther over my calories. But, I can't ignore my body, when it tells me it's hungry, it's hungry!! So, what kind of healthy food does everyone like to eat that's filling when this happens to them? And what kind of filling but low cal snacks do you like for a little bedtime snack? I always want comfort food late at night before bed, and if I don't eat something warm, I don't feel any satisfaction so I keep eating (nasty little habit, eh?:wink: ) My before bedtime snack last night was an activia fiber yogurt, yummy, but not satisfying AT ALL...so I caved and went back to the kitchen for some chips and leftover warmed cheesey chip dip:blushing: That hit the spot...oh, and a pierogie, but I only had one instead of the whole batch like I wanted:happy: My husband and I have a cup of caffeine free herbal tea before bed and sometimes that helps curb the appetite, but not always. So I'd like some suggestions for healthy, warm snackage before bed and middle of the night (that's when it's especially hard to have a healthy snack!) I had a fiber one bar in the middle of the night last night, was very proud of myself, but it was too rich for my picky stomach at that hour so I got a tummyache instead:cry: BUT, I was full!:laugh: I do so well during the day, making healthy choices and eating small portions-and then about dinner time, I blow it! :grumble: Any suggestions are much appreciated-about the food issue, not the sleeping problem, I know what causes that, can't do anything about it. :ohwell:

Replies

• Nmama
    Nmama Posts: 191 Member
    I dont eat after 7 pm, but oatmeal is warm, or a low cal homemade veggie soup...
  • Katrika
    Katrika Posts: 4 Member
    I, too have difficulty getting to sleep if my stomach 'feels' empty even though in reality it may not be. There is a desire for something comforting so I take the time to figure out what that might be so I am not randomly grabbing food that does not satisfy the need by providing the flavor, sensation and experience that I desire. That only leads to eating until I finally consume what I was craving in the first place.

I've had a package of flavored instant oatmeal topped with some craisins and a few chopped pecans to add a satisfying crunch. Another one that works for me is a wee ritual of preparing Sleepy time herbal tea in a nice china cup served with a 100 calorie pack of shortbread cookies that I put on a china desert plate. The tea helps me drift off to dream land within a half hour and the number of cookies in the pack is substantial enough to provide the sense of this being more decadent calorically than it is. A baked apple done in the microwave is also hot and satisfying. Add a dash of vanilla, a sprinkling of Equal and cinnamon and about a quarter teaspoon of butter and few chopped nuts and raisins packed into the hole provided by the core removal. Hot cocoa is nice in Winter as is a cup of hot apple cider. In Summer, I might have frosted glass of chilled wine, an ounce of cheese and a few whole grain crackers.

So much of this is a state of mind. When you take the time and effort to make this a satisfying experience, it will be. As soon as you allow yourself to feel deprived, you will have convinced yourself that you are. It's not just about the food. This is a journey that involves many aspects of becoming your best self according to your own personal standards.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Katrika,

From now on when I am hungry at night I think I'll just come to your house!!:laugh: :laugh: Great suggestions.

Kaitie,

I know you said something warm, but lately I have found a small banana, or half of a larger one, and a teaspoon of almond butter to be very satisfying. Good luck.
  • futfurd
    futfurd Posts: 33 Member
    The problem is that filling and low calorie don't often mix. Fiber, and protein are the items that satiate best, they also have some calories. My suggestion is to save a few snack calories from the day and use them for your snack. Then have some oatmeal, quinoa cereal, or peanut butter and celery, but only eat lightly. Eating that late is never a diet friendly thing to do, so tread softly!
  • tanzmitpalmer
    tanzmitpalmer Posts: 124 Member
    If I wake up starving, or can't sleep because I'm too hungry to get my head to shut up, I'll do something bready. Folded cheese sandwich (seems to work best for me)... folded nutella sandwich... peanut butter and jelly... just something bread. Gives my stomach something to keep itself busy with so I can catch some decent sleep... and I'd rather get some quality sleep than fret over time-restrictions on eating.
  • KaitieBug
    Thank you for the suggestions everyone!! :happy:
  • skearns
    skearns Posts: 16
    One or two Graham crackers and a cup of tea. Yum.
  • kms322
    kms322 Posts: 7 Member
    Have you ever heard of Weetabix? It is a type of bisquit/cereal..it is VERY filling, eat two with a half a cup of milk, You can pour a little honey over it or blueberries if you would like, but it keeps me full for quite a long time. I don't know if it would be too heavy before bedtime but if you ate it around 7 or 8pm it would probably be fine. Try it and let me know if it works. Good luck!
  • Iffer75
    Iffer75 Posts: 2,817 Member
    I guess I would suggest warm tea or water. Technically you should not eat 2 to 3 hours before bedtime in order for you body to start working it's magic at nite. If you make this a habit to eat in the midde of the nite, you can definetly change that habit, it really is not good in order to lose weight. You are not helping your body by feeding it in the middle of the nite. When you do that, your body will have to compensate for those calories and fat along with the rest of the food you ate throughout the day.

I am just being honest, not trying to upset anyone. I wish you luck with whatever you decide. :bigsmile:
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    I am not usually a fan of oatmeal, but I have found that I LOVE Active Lifestyle instant oatmeal. They're about 170-180 calories each, and they taste so yummy! I too crave warm, comforting foods at night, and this helps.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    If I'm seeking "comfort food", I'll eat a couple crackers and a slice of cheese. Crackers seem to help with my carb / salt cravings and I am the world's biggest fan of cheese.
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Have you ever heard of Weetabix? It is a type of bisquit/cereal..it is VERY filling, eat two with a half a cup of milk, You can pour a little honey over it or blueberries if you would like, but it keeps me full for quite a long time. I don't know if it would be too heavy before bedtime but if you ate it around 7 or 8pm it would probably be fine. Try it and let me know if it works. Good luck!

You can eat Weetabix with warm milk if you want something warm.
  • ourgang
    ourgang Posts: 229
    I don't know what to tell you to eat, but on the Jillian wii 2010 she says no carbs 2 hours before bed......
    What can I have that is "NO CARBS"?????????????
    Last night I had cal's to eat, but everything I went for had carbs. WTF
  • KaitieBug
    I don't buy any of the "no eating before bed" stuff...no offense to anyone, and I do appreciate the suggestion!:flowerforyou: -but it does not work for me:ohwell: . I know my body well enough to know when it really is hungry, and if that's right before bed, oh well! I'm not going to eat a full meal, but neither will I ignore my body telling me what I need...I've lost plenty of weight doing it this way, so I'm gonna keep on truckin!!:laugh: I'm one of those people that has to eat every 2 hours or so. Or I get very dizzy...cranky...sick...evil...it's not fun :tongue: I don't usually eat in the middle of the night, but if I wake up, and I'm hungry, I have to eat. Or I don't get back to sleep :grumble: Just need some better suggestions for food, I don't want a 350 calorie meal in the middle of the night, but a carrot stick doesn't cut it lol!:laugh: I will look for those Weetabix...graham crackers are good too, I forgot about those after we ran out!....yes saltines do help!....I like oatmeal and farina before bed, but last time I had oatmeal before bed it made me sick:cry: -granted it was the fruit n cream kind (which I love since they're only 130 calories and I don't eat much sugary stuff) and sugar and I do not get along after certain hours lol! Anyway, thanks so much to everyone for all your help, I will be adding lots of this to my grocery list :happy:
  • KaitieBug
    I don't know what to tell you to eat, but on the Jillian wii 2010 she says no carbs 2 hours before bed......
    What can I have that is "NO CARBS"?????????????
    Last night I had cal's to eat, but everything I went for had carbs. WTF

Ehhh...I don't like Jillian.....but if it works for you, GREAT!! :bigsmile: It's kinda hard to have ANY food without a card in it though, isn't it?! You could try looking for something low carb then, instead of no-carb? Better than nothing!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    I used to drink coffee and milk but I gave that up. Now I do green tea. Or warm milk (actually carnation mixed with water b/c I don't drink enough to buy a container). Peanuts butter, yogurt, cheese or some type of protein (chicken sliced ham etc).
This discussion has been closed.