I need advice..on jogging and running please!

Options
I want to start jogging today but I don't want to stress my body.
How should I go about jogging as a beginner? Please I need tips/advice!

Replies

• determined136
    Options
    Start small....Jog at your pace...even if it is just around the block and then increase it day by day...when you get a mile under your belt start increasing your pace.

You CAN do this...be patient with yourself and just try to do better today than you did yesterday...before you know it you will be running a 5K.:flowerforyou:
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I want to start jogging today but I don't want to stress my body.
    How should I go about jogging as a beginner? Please I need tips/advice!

C25K, is a great program to get you started! Make sure you have some running shoes (get fitted), get the program or podcasts to help ya and give it a go!
  • classictoaster
    Options
    C25K. Went from barely being able to run 1:30 to running 30 minutes straight.
  • momtobe06
    momtobe06 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    c25k- they even have versions for the treadmill...
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Like everyone is saying Couch to 5K (C25K) is wonderful. I think this was also mentioned, but go to an actual running store and have them check your gait. They can tell from the way you move what kind of shoes you need. I was skeptical, but went and SO glad I did! These are the best shoes for me I have ever owned. And the price wasn't any worse than a normal sporting goods store.
  • _dreaface
    _dreaface Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Okay everyone. I looked it up on Google and i'm not quite sure how this works lol
  • _dreaface
    Options
    As in what do I click and how do I get to start?
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Do you have a smart phone? If so just put the app on the phone and it tells you whAt to do.

It's very simple - you alternate running and walking, and over time you build up the running to longer intervals.
  • _dreaface
    Options
    Yes I have an iPhone. Thanks!
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I just started C25K today, too! I have the Ease into 5K app on my iPhone. I think it was $1.99. It's great because it gives you all the cues you need and lets you play music from your playlists through it. I run it concurrently with RunKeeper so I also know how far I ran and my average pace.
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of different C25K programs. I have the Zenlab one. There is a Coolrunning one that I have heard is a good one as well.
  • jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I started with Couch to 5K and an now running 3 miles 4-5 X a week. I used the Ipod Active.com C25K app. It makes it very easy.
  • fitX38
    fitX38 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K is a running program ... walking/jogging slowly at your own pace...Here's a link: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml I just started yesterday with day one and if you are as out of shape as me you can take it slow...I am doing day one again today and will continue to do day one until I can jog for the full time that you're supposed to. If you have an iphone or android theres an app that does all the timing for you and you can listen to your music playlist at the same time.

oops...I should have read the comments before I posted...hope you found it on ur iphone its a great program!
  • mayberry310
    mayberry310 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of different C25K programs. I have the Zenlab one. There is a Coolrunning one that I have heard is a good one as well.

Ditto the Zenlab. I even got the C25K free app and LOVE IT! I see you said you have an iphone, me too so I know it'll work for you. I'm still in the first week so if you download it and want a newbie running buddy add me.
  • BellaRenee08
    Options
    c25k is great, I actually plan on restarting tonight, I went from barely able to move to running 5 miles a day, till i gave up running silly me lol. I find its easier to focus on running if i have my favorite music.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Yep, I can't speak highly enough of the C25K program from Cool Running. I did it the last time in 2008 and I'm running in my 3rd 1/2 Marathon next weekend. It works! :)
  • _dreaface
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    I will start when my ankle heals up :)
  • mimstero
    mimstero Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I would alternate from jogging for 30 sec and walking a min and do that for a while. Try to go for 20-30 min. Slowly increase the time spent jogging and reducing the walking. I did this 4 years ago, slowly working my way up to about 5-6 miles, and I have completed 2 half marathons in the last 10 months. You'll get there if you keep with it!