no weight loss - strength training

Options
Hi there,
I recently started on MFP and my exercise has been a strength class most days (lifting weights for an hour) and a bike every second day. I lost weight in my first week, but then started more regularly going to strength classes and I didn't lose anything in my second weigh in (despite still eating under my calorie allowance every day)
My excuse was that it's because I'm building muscle - any thoughts?
Thanks!
Natasha

Replies

• MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    You're not building muscle if you're eating at a calorie deficit, but your muscles are probably hanging on to water to repair themselves.

Most likely water weight that will drop soon enough.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    You're not building muscle if you're eating at a calorie deficit, but your muscles are probably hanging on to water to repair themselves.

Most likely water weight that will drop soon enough.

Yep! Give it more time. 2-4 weeks would be a better gauge.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    For a minute I thought that was a picture of you lol....well we know Beyonce's workout routine is working!

These strength training classes - do they incorporate light weights with a lot of repetitions? I've been to a few in the past and that's how they were structured. They were great cardio and conditioning but not very challenging in regard to strength training. You might want to strength train on your own with heavier weights.

Also if you open your diary you will get more feedback from people.
  • keina629
    keina629 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much!
    Maybe it is water weight - I am lifting reasonably heavy weights compared to the rest of the class, enough to notice some quad definition already (which is very exciting!).
    Hopefully my next weigh in is more successful.
    And Beyonce - my goal body! Though that will require some serious hard work :)
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    and also make sure you're eating enough.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Given the minimal information we have, everything is pure speculation.

seeing you have a goal of 10.5Kg (or roughly 25 pounds), and are doing more strength training than cardio...put your focus into your measurements and muscle tone. 1 pound is 1 pound on the scale, but the density of muscle versus fat is far greater.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,555 Member
    Options
    More than likely water retention and glycogen storage.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • keina629
    keina629 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I think I have just worked out how to make my diary public - maybe it will give more information! Excuse my sweet tooth...
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    More than likely water retention and glycogen storage.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This^^^