Started my journey to lose over 100 pounds

Options
Hi everyone. My name is Tanya and I found this awesome site through another community message board. I am realy liking the food diary which is important since I tend not to eat the best even though I know better :ohwell:

I have not always been overweight but since I developed fibromyalgia (and many other issues through the years), my weight has crept up to almost 230 pounds. That is way too much weight for my little, 5'2" frame. Ultimately, I want to get down to 120 but I also know that may be difficult with my pain and fatigue issues. I'm taking it slow and steady, starting out with a 10 minute workout each morning. In a month, I'll add another 10 minutes and so on.

I'm not following any particular diet but I am trying to rewire my thinking to the way I thought about food when I was younger. Then I ate only when I was hungry and only ate enough until I was satisfied. Now I eat to deal with fatigue and issues like thinking the food is going to be the last I ever get and that I have to eat to make others happy. I also have a huge sugar craving but I have been getting that under control. I also do not drink as much soda as a I used to. However, some days, it is one can of soda after another but that is usually once a week or less. I'm getting there slowly which is fine.

I can't wait to hear from others. I usually try to do things on my own but I think I need the extra support from others if I am going to successfully change my habits and lose the weight before I develop even worse issues than what I have now.

Tanya :flowerforyou:

Replies

• fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You'll love it here. I've been on the site for about 2 months now and here's my advice to you:
    - Log EVERY single thing you put into your mouth.
    -Drink all of your water for the day (i used to have a big problem with this but i found that it benefits me in so many ways)
    -Eat you're whole allowance for the day. Aim for nothing more, nothing less.
    -Do not limit yourself so much that you want to give up. ex. : if you are craving chocolate, leave some room in your allowance to have some.
    -Explore the settings of your diary to make it work for you.
    - Come to the mfp community if you have any questions or need some support

I wish you good luck on your wonderful journey! Just think about how great you will feel if you follow through with doing something to improve yourself.:flowerforyou:
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Oh honey you came to the right spot! I understand ur plight! I eat out of any emotion, happy sad stressed mad board you name it I stand accused! But you can do this it just takes determination, grit and getting back up when you have been knocked down! Good luck Sis!

If you need anything just yell!
  • bigred717
    Options
    I really like what gymnast2010 said. Well said!
  • kookla33
    kookla33 Posts: 234
    Options
    Welcome! I hope this will be an exciting journey for you! This is a very helpful and supportive site.
    You are doing a good job starting out small and not beating yourself up. Step by step you will get there, and you will inspire others on the way.
  • zippitydo
    Options
    Hi I started my 100 pound journey on March 13,2009. I have lost 54 pounds and am still working hard. I hope to be able to say on December 31,2010 that I have lost 100 pounds. I wish you lots of luck. Just work at it day by day, drink your water, exercise at least 30 minutes a day, and have a treat of dark chocolate every now and then. It will work!!! Just don't get discouraged when no one notices right away. I had to lose 37 pounds before anyone noticed. Good Luck!!:flowerforyou:
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, just wanted to let you know you're not alone. I'm not even 5 ft. tall and weighed in at 225 lbs (well the last time I weighed myself before committing to a change). I think one of the most important things to remember is you didn't put the weight on overnight so it's going to take time to take off.
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    Hi tanyashealth,

You will be so glad that you are here. I started here last year and I am so glad I did. I am also 5'2 (I am actually a bit shorter, but not enough to count:laugh: ) and I need to lose over 100 pounds. I can so relate to that feeling. I wanted to welcome you to this site and tell you congrats on taking that first step. You can do this. By the way I am also part of a group on here that is a bunch of women who weigh over 200 pounds and we support each other on this journey. It is soooo nice to talk and encourage others who know what it feels like to be over 200 pounds. Why don't you come check us out. Here is our link.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/73818-over-200-club-fit-for-the-holidays-open-group?page=8#posts-1012365
  • Momma2four
    Momma2four Posts: 1,534
    Options
    Hi tanyashealth,

You will be so glad that you are here. I started here last year and I am so glad I did. I am also 5'2 (I am actually a bit shorter, but not enough to count:laugh: ) and I need to lose over 100 pounds. I can so relate to that feeling. I wanted to welcome you to this site and tell you congrats on taking that first step. You can do this. By the way I am also part of a group on here that is a bunch of women who weigh over 200 pounds and we support each other on this journey. It is soooo nice to talk and encourage others who know what it feels like to be over 200 pounds. Why don't you come check us out. Here is our link.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/73818-over-200-club-fit-for-the-holidays-open-group?page=8#posts-1012365

Our link moved and I wanted to make sure you found us if you were interested.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/74520-over-200-club-new-year-new-body-open-group
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    WELCOME! This is the place to be, log your calories daily, and keep moving, you will see results, trust me.
    Best of luck to you!
    Tami
  • tlapdx72
    tlapdx72 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hi Tanya:flowerforyou:

I like your name. My name is Tanya too:tongue: I love this site. It helps keep me motivated. My biggest thing was if I had a bad day I would give up. Now I don't let bad days get me down. I just get up the next day, and work harder. Keep up the good work. I'm here for ya
  • tanyashealth
    Options
    Things for the tips! Drinking enough water has always been an issue of mine even though I know it is the best thing I could give myself.

Thanks everyone for all your support and motivation. I have used other sites before but I have never had this much help and encouragement before. I knew this was the right place when 1) I had so many responses to my introduction and 2) when I found a recipe from one of my cookbooks in the food list!