The true causes of binges?

Options
I wonder how true this really is:

tumblr_m3hd7xiCz51ruo45oo1_500.jpg

Replies

• alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    No.... other then today (I have been good today) I eat junk all day long and stay under... way under.
  • notoriousgtt
    notoriousgtt Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'd put it down to a lack of disciplin and boredom.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I binged on" healthy" food like muesli, soya milk, cottage cheese, rye bread. So from a personal view this hasn't been true for me and other bingers that I know. Is there any evidence that this 'fact' is true?
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    For me, when I binge it's usually:

a) an emotional reason where i feel i need "comforting" (i'm now thinking to myself "Stop. What's really going on?" and talking with a friend.

b) when i'm too strict on my diet and cut calories way down, cut carbs way down etc....bang out of the gate at full speed with an all-or-nothing attitude has been the culprit of many a downfall. Now I take it easy and work treats into my nutrition plan so I don't feel deprived.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Myself and most people that I have asked, say that they binge when they are skipping meals or waiting too long between eating. Be sure to eat three meals a day and at least two snacks. Eat, just eat the right foods, plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean meats, etc.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Binges from my perspective are caused by self destruction and self harm. I could binge on hummus and cherries and celery. It's a mindset I hate this person how can I cause them an early death. Although, I did have my share of junk food binges.
  • Wingwoman21
    Options
    Binges from my perspective are caused by self destruction and self harm. I could binge on hummus and cherries and celery. It's a mindset I hate this person how can I cause them an early death. Although, I did have my share of junk food binges.

Yep, same here. Started binging when I tried to quit cutting because I hadn't addressed the emotional issues that led me to self-harm in the first place.
  • welsh_lass86
    welsh_lass86 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    No I don't think that's true at all. When I binge it's usually because I'm stressed, it's not actually anything to do the food I'm eating, just the physical act of stuffing my face destracts me from what's really bothering me.