Cheap testing supplies for diabetics

Options
One thing you learn about being a diabetic is how expensive the testing supplies are. Walmart has put out a new meter that uses more affordable test strips.

The ReliOn Prime meter is about $17, which include the meter and the case only. But, test strips are a reasonable $9 per box of 50. That's WAY less than I've been paying for One Touch Ultra strips, which are more like $55.

I checked my local WalMart today. They were out of test strips, but I got one of the last two meters for $16.24. I ordered a box of 50 test strips, lancet device and lancets for $21.02 including shipping from Walmart.com.

If you pay for your own test strips this could be a big money saver.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/ReliOn-Prime-Blood-Glucose-Monitoring-System-Blue/20752266

Replies

• carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I got my test strips this morning, and decided it would be good to check the new inexpensive ReliOn meter against the OneTouch Ultra I've been using for years.

This was three hours after eating, and a run to the grocery store, so it was pretty typical of my early afternoons. I did all the readings within a couple minutes total.

OneTouch: 92, 88
    ReliOn: 88, 86, 83

They're all relatively close, so I'd consider this meter as accurate as my old one for far less money.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this, I don't have diabetes but I know someone that does that has been struggling with costs.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious what are those numbers ? I use to be diabetic and my tester only ever showed my sugar levels like say 7.3 or something ... yours are like 92 88 83 ect ....
  • carld256
    Options
    I think it's a difference in the units. The US uses mg/dl while the rest of the world uses mmol/L. From what I've read 100 mg/dl converts to about 5.6 mmol/L.
  • denisekh88
    Options
    That is great info...thanks so much for sharing!

Great numbers too :wink:
  • elizabeth5151
    Options
    different countries have different numbers for blood sugar levels: 7 is the 'norm' for Australia. the higher numbers 90+ are probably American levels - don't know what norm is there!
  • ZoeyRobinson
    Options
    You need a prescription for the walmart brand lancets right?
  • carld256
    Options
    No, I ordered them online, no prescription needed.

btw: to avoid any possible confusion, by lancets, I don't mean anything with insulin, but the small needles that go into the lancing device.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6u96A1nAI18HB6VyCkF5Iy5GfynP7B44eXteT_NdXmBES_9pv6Q