Biggest calorie burner workouts?

Options

Replies

• BeanQueen3000
    Options
    Consider your bubble busted :(. Lots of them are WAY off. Invest in a HRM (i have yet to do this myself) if you want a more accurate view of what's going on.

As i haven't got the money to drop on an ugly watch right now, I've been rounding down the numbers that the cardio machines spit out and logging that. Any of them will give you a good run for your money if you use the incline/resistance settings liberally, but i've found that my most satisfying workouts tend to come from the elliptical machine, set to intervals.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Don't believe any of the predetermined calorie burns on MFP! Wear a heart rate monitor or its nothing more than a guessing game. :)

These just guess as well and can be well out. I think doing a combination of both MFP, a HRM if you have one along with common sense (how intense to activities feel relative to each other) is the best way to go :-)
  • bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My biggest with HRM was kickboxing or step aerobics (60 min) one was 550 and other was 532!
  • Steelman73
    Options
    Biking does good for me. Here is one from last Fri.

Steelman73 burned 940 calories doing 70 minutes of "Bicycling, 12-14 mph, moderate (cycling, biking, bike riding)"
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    All depends on the person and their weight/heart rate and time. I could burn 300 calories running for almost 40 minutes or I could burn 500 calories for the same amount of time going back and forth between a sprint and a comfortable pace. It's all in how much effort you put toward the activity.

Anyway, I'd have to say most recently my big calorie burns happen when I run 6 miles (ends up being 700+ calories). I switch my workouts up between 30 Day Shred (26 min, burn 200 calories or so), Elliptical (typically 40 min., 300 or more calories depending on my intensity) and running (distance, anywhere from 3 miles to 6 miles, 300-700 calories).

The longer you keep your heart rate elevated for a certain amount of time the more you'll burn.
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Don't believe any of the predetermined calorie burns on MFP! Wear a heart rate monitor or its nothing more than a guessing game. :)

Unless you can't afford a heart rate monitor! :) THEN probably cut MFP's calories burn by half.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Trying to bite your ear can burn about 100 calories if you do it for 20 min. Try doing a HIIT workout with that sucker!
  • thedancingleper
    thedancingleper Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I may not be sure of how many calories I'm burning because I don't have a heart rate monitor, but I find that I sweat and feel my heart pounding the most when I'm doing circuit training. I figure I must be burning a decent amount if I'm painting like a dog and sweating buckets. I plan to get a heart rate monitor this weekend to figure out how much I'm really burning.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    The human body can only lose so much fat in a day.
    After that its muscle.

Slow down this isnt a race!
  • alobmaster
    Options
    i really wish we had some mountains to hike around here!
    i've been wanting to try out zumba-i couldn't make any more of a fool of myself than in turbo kick ;)
    so far elliptical is the best machine so far to burn off quickly...i've never heard of jacob's ladder? we belong to the Y so they might not have as much as bigger places...
  • mrsb102
    mrsb102 Posts: 16
    Options
    Spinning, bosu, and cardio circuit classes seem to do well for me. I also took kickboxing classes at a kickboxing gym for about a month or so.
  • Reneefit135
    Options
    This is a great question and i have been wondering the same. Im always disappointed with the number of calories burned from weight lifting and i agree that i need to break down and get a HRM...
  • ddevenny
    Options
    INSANITY! ! Best, hardest workout ever (in my opinion - I'm kinda old ;)! Can burn up to 1000 calories per workout (65 mintues) !
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I do the Turbo Jam videos and they are good burners. On average, I burn 10 calories per minute of exercise, AFTER deducting for my average hourly TDEE. I do wear a chest strap HRM so I get an accurate reading.

So a 44 minute cardio workout for me burns about 430 calories net. Pretty good! I push myself to the max the entire time, after the warm up. I get a very limited amount of time to work out, so I have to make it good. Of course, the better shape I get in, the harder I have to push to get higher burns.

If you are serious about tracking calories burned, a HRM really is the way to go. I got a very inexpensive one on Amazon (Pyle) for $25 because I didn't have the money for a Polar and I didn't want to wait three months to save up the money since I'm breastfeeding and wanted accurate counts. It was a cheapie, but it's been great for me so far. I use it 5-6 times a week. If you have the money, go for the better one. But in my case I figured, if I have to replace it in six months, it's okay for $25.
  • poeco76
    poeco76 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I was just reading in Shape that jump rope burns a ton of calories:
    Slow Pace:
    130 pounds – 470 calories burned per one hour;
    150 pounds – 560 calories burned;
    180 pounds – 650 calories burned;
    205 pounds – 750 calories burned.
    Medium Pace:
    130 pounds – 590 calories burned per one hour;
    150 pounds – 704 calories burned;
    180 pounds – 820 calories burned;
    205 pounds – 930 calories burned.
    Fast Pace:
    130 pounds – 710 calories burned per one hour;
    150 pounds – 850 calories burned;
    180 pounds – 980 calories burned;
    205 pounds – 1120 calories burned.

What the... who in their right mind is going to jump rope for an hour at a fast pace (or any pace, really)?!?! My lord... I would die!!! :O) Of course, I would love to burn those calories. I suppose it is something one builds up to, and not something one wakes up one morning saying, "Gee, I'd like to jump rope for an hour today."

Love this suggestion though!
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    HRM is most important...

I burn highest when running however i've built up a level of fitness which makes it so hard to burn unless its high intensity cardio...

Last big burn was a very fast paced run of 101 minutes and didn't even hit 450!
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Last week I joined a turbo kick class-that kicked my wimpy butt! MFP claims it was worth over 700 cal-which was awesome! (if it's correct?)
    Just curious what some of your biggest calorie burner workouts are? I'm always up for new ideas and motivation :)

If you get a heart rate monitor you will know the number of calories you burn when you work out.
  • shesquats
    shesquats Posts: 91 Member
    Options

Oh please don't ruin the illusion for me... ;o)

It's true. You really need a HRM because what one burn another may not. There are too many variables: age, weight, BF%.....Any workout that incorporates HIIT is usally a good cal burn though.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    MFP overestimates most workouts the only actual way to know what you burned is to use a HRM. That being said, I think that martial arts type cardio classes burn alot, so does zumba.
  • Obrienlo
    Obrienlo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    rollerblading! Fun and a great workout, if you put a lot of effort into it!