My workout - Opinions please

Options
Just last week I started doing 150 situps a day. The first 3 days I was sore but continued to work out. This week I've ramped it up a bit. 200 sit ups after breakfast, 200 after lunch and 100 before dinner. I also recently started doing planks. 10 seconds at a time with 5 second intervals. And I'll throw in around 100 crunches per day.

I am 20 years old, 5'9 and after doing this the past week (AND EATING PROPERLY) I've lost about 8 pounds. I'm wanting to basically drop my body far quite a bit and get down to about 150.

Any suggestions?
I can't do running or walking because I'm working at in my home and it's too humid and hot to work out in the heat.

So I would like opinions/suggestions

Replies

• CelestinoZ
    Options
    If you are trying to lose belly fat situps won't help, all they will do it make you look more fat because the abs are pushing the stomach out. When trying to lose weight you cant spot reduce. If a gym membership is too expensive, look into the community center in your city. You need to find a way to incorporate cardio into your workout, also be sure to do some resistance training. If you neglect to do resistance training you could end up losing a lot of muscle instead of fat.
  • run17
    run17 Posts: 27
    Options
    If you have a iphone or an android try the nike training club app. I downloaded the one one for women but there is one for men also. it is free and it has literally kicked my butt! You can do it at home. All you need are dumbells and a medicine ball. I donot have a medicine ball at home so I use a ten pound weight. It works fine. I do the advanced get lean or toned segments. The more you workout - you earn bonus workouts that you download for free. It really works. Last summer I had to wear big, long shorts- this summer I can wear jean shorts and a bikini! It is tough but the instructor talks you through it. before you know it- you are done!
    It is a total body workout.
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    If you have a iphone or an android try the nike training club app. I downloaded the one one for women but there is one for men also. it is free and it has literally kicked my butt! You can do it at home. All you need are dumbells and a medicine ball. I donot have a medicine ball at home so I use a ten pound weight. It works fine. I do the advanced get lean or toned segments. The more you workout - you earn bonus workouts that you download for free. It really works. Last summer I had to wear big, long shorts- this summer I can wear jean shorts and a bikini! It is tough but the instructor talks you through it. before you know it- you are done!

Do they have the nike training club app for android? I can't find it.
  • run17
    run17 Posts: 27
    Options
    1. Nike Training Club App

From personal experience, this app is hands down one of the best exercise training apps that I have ever downloaded to date. The Nike Training App does exactly what the details of title states. Training. It works as your own portable personal training offering a wide variety of leveled workouts tailored to your personal workout needs. Each workout has instructional videos demonstrating exactly how to perform each step as you move through the session. Workouts run from 15 to 45 minutes which cater to people who are just starting to implement a exercise regimen and to the much more experienced athletes. Another great thing about this app is that it is definitely challenging and offers award badges for completed workout to keep you focused and motivated. Nike Training Club is available for iOS smartphones, the very similar Nike Boom app is available for Android based phones.:happy:

Sorry- I just looked this up and pasted it. google Nike Boom app for androids. I have an iphone.

here is the link- www.freewarelovers.com/android/app/nike-boom
  • msprouse8
    msprouse8 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You really need to do some cardio to loose fat. Try running in place, jumping jacks, jump rope, butt kicks...etc....anything to get your heart rate up and sustain it.
  • knittingbandmom
    knittingbandmom Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I've not seen any of the P90X or similar type videos but maybe something along that lines would help. Jump rope? Jumping jacks? Anything aerobic to go along with all those situps? I'm looking into getting a good used stationary bike for my son.

ETA: Insanity workouts. That's the one I couldn't think of earlier. Good luck.
  • Muscles_Curves
    Muscles_Curves Posts: 385 Member
    Options

Neither can I
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Neither can I

Because it's not there. Nike Boom is available for android, but that's not the training app like iPod has. Try Workout Trainer for something similar. Or better yet, got to youtube and lookup Marcroops Bodyweight.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.skimble.workouts&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5za2ltYmxlLndvcmtvdXRzIl0.

For the OP, stop doing so many situps. You're not going to get much benefit from repeated situps. You're going to have to work than your abs if you want to get in shape.
  • dereksutton
    Options
    So dieting and situps aren't going to continue giving me the results I
    Seeing already?
  • CelestinoZ
    Options
    Seeing already?

You're making good progress. You've lost weight, but dieting alone without resistance training will cause you to plateau because you will lose muscle if you neglect to resistance train. And you won't find anyone that says spot reducing will work, it just doesn't.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Seeing already?

How you eat is a huge part of the results you'll see. Even if you did nothing but eat at a deficit, you will lose weight. Where that weight comes from, that can be affected by the exercise you do. Strength training helps you preserve your muscle mass as you lose weight.