Have anyone tried Barefoot Shoes?

Options
snha
snha Posts: 388 Member
I heard of these yesterday for the first time and since I am preparing for my first 5 k running, I would like if they truly work. Have you ever tried them? Do you think they work?

Thanks--Sam

Replies

• ox45
    ox45 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I currently have a pair of Vibram Five Finger Treks and absolutely love them! I will warn you though, you said you are training for a 5K. Make sure you have at least a few weeks before your event to get used to them. This is a whole new style of running, and you need to go through a learning curve. I wouldn't suggest running more than 10 minutes or 1 mile for the first week in them or else you could over train the different muscles you will be using. Then slowly work up your distance and time and you will be back up to where you started!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I have some and they are fine. These are barefoot runner SHOES, not the vibram/other toe booties. No injuries, though I'm not a fast runner.

In truth, I have some good Teva sports sandals and I like running in them much better. Same basic principle but they flop less on my feet. Protects the soles, let your feet flex and move as they should . . .

If you go for the toe booties, try them on first. They feel really funny on me and my husband and brothers' toes are too long for them.
  • heatgal976
    heatgal976 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other poster to not jump right into Vibram shoes. I tried them and I personally don't like them at all. But I have heard from other runners that once you go to five fingers, it is harder to adjust back to a regular running shoe because your running strike changes. Try going to a specialty running store. They will be able to give you good feedback on them.
  • snha
    snha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    thanks everybody. i did decide to stick with conventional, but excellent, running shoes. it seems barefoot running has its own hazards that might be ok for experienced runners. since I am not one of those, i decided to go with a solid good running shoe.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    You could start with something in between. Nike Free, Saucony Kinvara, New Balance Minimus. All fine minimalist shoes.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I have New Balance Minimus (NB makes the ONLY 4E width minimal style shoe that I could find).... but I don't use them for running, I use them for lifting :D
  • jhohn96
    jhohn96 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Vibram Five Fingers are amazing! I just purchased some a few weeks ago, and running in them has done wonders for my body. My knees no longer hurt when I run, and my gait has improved. I would suggest the Bikilas, because they are designed specifically for running. Like many have said before, you must ease into running in them to avoid any stress fractures or injuries.

Happy running! :happy:
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I have never ran before in my life, and I decided to go straight to the Vibram Five Finger shoes. I got a pair of Bilika and I LOVE them! They are amazingly comfortable and there is no pain from heel-striking, because you land on the balls of your feet instead. I'm having to start with VERY short distances (1 mile) and build up very slowly, as I am using muscles in my legs I have never used before.

I love the idea of barefoot/minimalist shoes because it is a more natural way of running. Also, they have found a link between the thickness of the sole of your shoe and the risk of leg/back injuries from running. That's one of the reasons why I decided to try them out.
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    These are my 'barefoot' running shoes. Dunlop Volleys. Same design since the 1970s.
    Will probably graduate to Vibrams eventually, but these are a much cheaper alternative at only $35 a pop.
    Not sure if you can get them outside Australia though.
  • coloradocami
    coloradocami Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have and NO, they were not worth it to me. If you run on a beach they would be nice, but mine have are really just become expensive water shoes
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I have Fila Skeletoes, and LOVE them. The first time I wore them, it rubbed a blister on my instep (weird place, right?), but since then I've used Vaseline on my feet first and they're great. After training in them for 2 wks, I wore them at my first 5k and they were awesome. Plus, I was the only one there with "barefoot" shoes and got a lot of attention for them!
  • SkyMusic
    SkyMusic Posts: 43
    Options
    Vibram Five Fingers changed my life. Literally.

I have a pair of Bikilas and I love them so much. I hated running; I hated how hard it was to breathe and how it was a struggle the whole time. Vibrams changed the way I run, and enabled my body to move the way it was meant to, from my pinkie toe even up to my whole body. My feet don't hurt anymore when I run, and my leg muscles work harder.

I highly recommend Vibrams. You will not regret it - but make sure you don't run in them for at least 2 weeks. It really does take time for feet to adapt.
  • 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    So, I recently got a pair of Vibram''s Five Fingers. I love them - they are so comfortable!

But - I am now sitting in the recliner with my leg wrapped since I pulled my calf muscle today while running. It's my own fault - inexperience and impatience are a bad mix. I tried to go too far too soon.

I'll still use them for kettlebell workouts - they are fantastic for that; but I'll go much much slower with running in them.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    You could start with something in between. Nike Free, Saucony Kinvara, New Balance Minimus. All fine minimalist shoes.

My friend here forgot to mention that Brooks also makes excellent "barefoot" running shoes. (I have the Pure Connect and love them)

They don't really "work" for anything, it's a particular running style. Some people love them, (like myself, now I can't run in anything heavier) some people don't.

It's really all personal preference.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Vibram Five Fingers are amazing! I just purchased some a few weeks ago, and running in them has done wonders for my body. My knees no longer hurt when I run, and my gait has improved. I would suggest the Bikilas, because they are designed specifically for running. Like many have said before, you must ease into running in them to avoid any stress fractures or injuries.

Happy running! :happy:

This!! I have several pair of Vibrams..... I wear my KSO's for casual wear, Komodosport LS (The crossfit crowd wears these) I wear when I weight train and my Bikilas LS are designed for runners and/or joggers I would recommend them for your 5k but you need time to ease into them. You will be working muscles in your feet that you didn't even know you had... lol Best of Luck....
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I use Nike Free Runs. They are minimalist, not barefoot. I'm happy with them!
  • ThinnerHill
    ThinnerHill Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I am currently waiting on my first pair of vibrams to come in the mail. I got the komodosports cause they fit the best and personally didn't like the way the bikilas fit my foot. I'll keep you posted when I get them
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I'm a seasoned runner but I've just bough my first pair of minimal shoes. New Balance MT00.

i did a test run (1.5 miles) in them yesterday and liked them (although they felt very different than my "traditional" NB759s).

I blogged about my reasons for buying them here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Aperture_Science/view/if-you-had-the-chance-to-start-again-what-would-you-do-that-was-different-362507

and will add a blog post comparing them to my 759s with pictures of the two shoes together and a little report on how things are going, early next week.
  • mjs101102
    mjs101102 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I started off running about 2.5 years ago and bought myself Nike Lunarglide (prior to knowing anything about Vibram). I ran in those for about 3 months and dealt with hip pain and shin splints. During that time, I found out about Vibrams through my trainer and bought a pair of Bikilas for cross training/weight lifting. I decided to start running in them as well. You do have to ramp up your mileage slowly to build up muscles that you might not have used regularly before. I ran my first half marathon in them about 4 months later and my first full marathon another 12 months after that. Those have since worn out and I've replaced them with Komodosports, but to be honest, prefer the Bikilas for road running. I will be switching up to a dedicated pair of shoes for the gym and a new pair of Bikilas for strictly running. I do know some people experience hot spots (ie. rubbing) w/ various shoes. I get more rubbing w/ the Komodos than I did with the Bikilas (but only at longer distances and if it's particularly warm). Good luck with whatever you decide...and keep in mind, it may take some trial & error until you find THE right shoe for your feet.
  • nicole9008
    Options
    Anytime I'm driving and I see someone running in those stupid toe shoes I fantasize about running them over because they look so stupid. But I have friends that swear by them. :tongue: