388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    According to my HRM my biggest cal burners per 60 min workouts are:

NROL4W (lifting) plus HIIT

Spin bike HIIT
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    .i've never heard of jacob's ladder? we belong to the Y so they might not have as much as bigger places...

Jacob's Ladder is this crazy thing: http://www.jacobsladderexercise.com/. I call it the rack (as in torture device). It's kinda old school, and a lot of gyms don't have it. But it kicks butt. For instance, on the directions on the machine it says "Caution: Jacob's Ladder will cause a very high heart rate." Not "may", but "will". Other than classes, I've found no way faster than to get a sweat up FAST.
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Insanity work outs... I'll burn 500-520 cals for 39-41 minutes. This is comparable to fast runs for the same period. A run at a 6.8mph pace might put me at 30-40 calories more.
  • walker54
    walker54 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Swimming is my biggest calorie burner, when I really push myself. I use an interval workout and the pace clock on deck to make sure I don't slack too long between sets. I'm saving up for a heart monitor to use in the pool.
  • jallison12
    Options
    I do a Cybex stepper machine at the gym at lunch. On the level I set it at, at the pace I go I reach 600+ cals in 30 mins. Mon/Tue I got back on and did 20 mins more and got over 1000+ cals for 50 mins.

It's just weight, time and intensity setting. I know it isn't that scientific but I LOVE seeing 600+ at the end of the workout.
  • bellorum
    Options
    Calories are burned in a few ways. Now, I'm no fitness pro, but I understand a couple things... Doing high-intensity workouts that are muscular in nature, will burn CRAZY calories!. Also, your two largest muscle groups are your legs and your back. If you work those two groups pretty hard you will burn a lot more calories than if you were to work out just your arms or your abs.
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Water jogging and swimming for me, just bought a polar hrm so we will see with my water classes next week (reality will set in )
  • chickentunashake
    chickentunashake Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Last week I joined a turbo kick class-that kicked my wimpy butt! MFP claims it was worth over 700 cal-which was awesome! (if it's correct?)
    Just curious what some of your biggest calorie burner workouts are? I'm always up for new ideas and motivation :)
    I burn by turbo kick barely 380 cals, waering HRM. The most burns I have is by insanity HIIT workouts, which are around 55 min, but even then I burn around 500 cals. But, I combine 2 workouts a day to get me my burn around 700 - 1000 cals
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    living
  • caldon4523
    caldon4523 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    The longer you workout the more calories you burn. Here is what I've found out:
    Calories/ minutes
    Nautilus Workout 1 / 4
    Running (jogging) 1 / 12
    Treadmill 1 / 16
    Elliptical Trainer 1 / 12
    Stationary bike, general 1 / 10
    Stationary bike, vigorous effort 1 / 15

Several factors to consider when planning your workout.
    1. How many calories do you want to burn?
    2. How vigorous an effort are you willing to put in (ergo the heart rate monitor). If you read a magazine while riding a stationary bike you will not lose as many calories as if you concentrate in maximizing your burn rate per minute.
    3. What area do you want to concentrate on? Core, muscle, strength, lose weight or if Robert Pattinson will get back with Kristen Stewart?
    4. Too much of something will make you lose interest. Switch your routine. (Also, consider muscle confusion.)
    Bottom line is to enjoy your workout. Do it with a friend. There is nothing wrong with reading if Pattinson will move on. At least your out there trying!
  • HappyHungry
    Options
    How many if you're 115 pounds? :D
  • shannaleemartin
    Options
    Swimming (if you know how) is ALWAYS great exercise! MFP has for 60 minutes of any swimming at 200 lbs. (approximately 89.3 kilograms) is 500+ calories burned!!!
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    How many if you're 115 pounds? :D

I weigh a bit less than you and with the most vigorous exercise I burn about 14 calories in a minute, for me the only way to do that is a full out sprint. Nothing else gets my heart rate high enough.
  • PoliticalRN
    PoliticalRN Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Uphill Hiking carrying 10-25 pound pack burns a lot! It usually takes about 180 minutes to do such hikes and if I remember right it burned 1600+ calories. I usually hike pretty challenging trails of Northern California and I believe I do burn that much calories on a 3 hour hike up the hill!
  • heaven_511
    heaven_511 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I would definitely suggest you investing in a HRM. I use one w/chest strap for accurate calorie burn. I love Zumba and when I actually give it all I've got at high impact I burn b/t 950 - 1000 cals/hr. I also get a high cal burn on the eliptical with the resistance at abt 8 (1hr).
  • p0kers0ph
    p0kers0ph Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    For me it's running or some kind of kickboxing workout
  • shawn46106
    shawn46106 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I was just reading in Shape that jump rope burns a ton of calories:
    Slow Pace:
    130 pounds – 470 calories burned per one hour;
    150 pounds – 560 calories burned;
    180 pounds – 650 calories burned;
    205 pounds – 750 calories burned.
    Medium Pace:
    130 pounds – 590 calories burned per one hour;
    150 pounds – 704 calories burned;
    180 pounds – 820 calories burned;
    205 pounds – 930 calories burned.
    Fast Pace:
    130 pounds – 710 calories burned per one hour;
    150 pounds – 850 calories burned;
    180 pounds – 980 calories burned;
    205 pounds – 1120 calories burned.

yup...anything with jumping will spike your calorie burn. i do kick outs, stride jumps, jumping jacks, and what i call "hot boxes" to boost my heart rate. at the end of a rep of 50 jacks, or 30 hot boxes my heart rate is usually around 155 or so. ( i try and keep mine at an avg of 130-140 while working out)
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Half Day Long Mountain Biking in the Alps.

From my notes: 900 meters of climbing, 6h43, 4327 kcal (off the HRMs - one of the two actually records 5795 but I think it is wrong), 12 people and only one fall. Beer x 2.
  • tonilizzy88
    tonilizzy88 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    my biggest burns with my HRM are :-
    punch bag and jump rope
    running
    spinning
    hiking

and they all depend on what i put in. if im tired you can see it in the burn e.g. i did a boxing session in my garage after a long shift and burn 250cals in 30mins yestarday after a good sleep i burnt 400 in 41 mins

but i descovered the skipping rope (jump rope) and OMG that bad boy burns if ur not tripping up all the time lol
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Hands down for me it is the elliptical.... 65 minutes on and I usually average 1200 calories burned per my Polar FT60.... that is around 80% of my max heart rate (140-150 bpm)...... Best of Luck.....