Tired of being tired

Options
Well I don't really know how many people are up this late lol basically I've been big all my life and I'm tired of it. I downloaded this app yesterday so today is going to be my first day actually using it. I'm excited to say the least hahah but mainly nervous I'm not a very open person but I figured how else can I succeed if I don't give it my all(" I'm ready to start my life (: thanks for taking the time to read this!

Replies

• minnie22
    minnie22 Posts: 60
    Options
    Hi & welcome to mfp, well you've done the first step & on the right track, you can add me if you want :o)
  • xodnox
    xodnox Posts: 5
    Options
    aw thanks(: and will do!
  • mmreed
    mmreed Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Hello! Welcome to MFP!

MFP is a really great resource to keep you focused and connect you with a wealth of fitness resources and like minded folks.

1. Log your foods every day - don't skip days, or parts of your day. log everything!
    2. Analyze each day - see where it went good and where it went bad - too much fat? maybe too many carbs? over the calorie limit? Identify and plan how to correct it for tomorrow.
    3. Reach out to the community with questions or advice needs.
    4. Build a network of friends here!
    5. Above all, do not believe everything you read here. There is a lot of great advice, but also some misleading and hype type advice. Part of getting fit is educating yourself in aspects of health and fitness. Make sure any questionable advice is looked at with a scientific eye and look for facts, evidence, and most importantly real world proof.
    6. You are more than a number. Sometimes the scale may not say what you hoped - thats fine. weight loss is not a straight line declination. Its a bumpy line that drops over time. Don't let single day numbers get your focus away from term based results.
    7. Vary your exercises. Your body forms memories and can slow down how it burns fat and builds muscles. Keep it confused! Hit it hard with cardio styles. Build lean muscle to burn even more fat.
    8. and above all - take your photo now! You will want to look back and have a starting BEFORE picture to proudly display along with your series of PRESENT or CURRENT photos during your transformation and continued lifestyle of fitness.

I welcome you, and anyone else out there to add me as a friend. I have made fitness and health my passion and love the idea of folks joining me in my new lifestyle of being fit, healthy, and most importantly - HAPPY!.

I'm here to support and motivate!!! I find my own success comes easier when I help and fuel other folks success.

and remember - most folks care more about the quality of fuel they put in their lawn mowers than the fuel they put in their bodies. Don't be one of those people. Whole foods. Natural foods. Intelligent choices.

Fit for life,
    Mark M. Reed
    aka Marc Mayhem - Fitness Blogger, and Motivator!

Add me as a friend and take part in my daily fitness discussions, tips, and commentary on MyFitnessPal!
  • Jetski9
    Jetski9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, Welcome to myfitnesspal! im very new to this as well, i joined mfp a while back but only had the phone app, things are very different on a computer, so much more that you can do in here! someone said to me recently there are a lot of things people tell you to do to loose weight and exercise and eat healthy, sometimes its not so easy to follow the all of the rules all of the time and she said it can sometimes set you up to fail, she said to me just do things gradually, but consistently, and with foods, everything in moderation, most of all love yourself! Hope you like this app as much as i do its so helpful !! have a gr8 day! jen.. :happy:
  • mylifeisbeautiful
    mylifeisbeautiful Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Today is my first day too :smile:
    Here's to our steady progress and success!!!!
  • Tryin2LiveFree
    Tryin2LiveFree Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I have been active for about 2 weeks. I have found this website be a great tool. For the most part it makes me be accountable to myself. No one can tell you a magic trick to lose weight. But remember you didn't gain the weight overnight so, you won't lose it overnight either. Just take it day by day. Good luck to you.
  • 1blesse
    1blesse Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i just started yesterday also and so far so good .Login everything is making me feel more accountable and i just completed my day and after putting my workout in it told me i earned extra calories and that got me all excited because i was feeling bad for going over my carbohydrates for the day.We can do it together if you want .Stay positive.
  • Tishia11
    Tishia11 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You just mastered the first step to make a change! Add me! MFP is a great resource for us all, and you will meet many of friends that will support you, and keep you motivated during your journey to a healthier lifestyle.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    That is how I started on MFP a little over a year ago - by installing the app and visiting the website with a "Let's see" attitude.

I have logged on every day since - over 400 days - and reached my goal of losing 35 pounds! Now it is about maintaining and strength training.

So, this does work if you keep at it. Good luck!
  • punkypants
    Options
    welcome! im 4 days in and this is starting out to be such a positive journey, there are soooo many people on here and every one of us wants to lose weight so its not like facebook, we will never get tired of hearing about your diet :) we are all in this together. :happy:
  • xodnox
    xodnox Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you everyone for being so supportive already(: I'm super excited and can't wait to keep this journey with all of you!
  • NcBound
    NcBound Posts: 4
    Options
    Welcome! You're not alone at all! You got this!
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I think you've found a great tool - just sticking to the calorie and exercise goals that MFP set for me in the beginning has helped me make steady progress for two months. Stick with it.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Welcome to your new life!

I know that sounds silly...but I have discovered so much about my strengths throughout my weight loss journey, when before my focus was on all my weaknesses. So, when I reached 197 pounds at 5'2" tall, it was what I expected since I was bad at everything.

MFP helped me become accountable to myself - writing down everything I put in mouth was SHOCKING at first. I learned to beat down the negative voice in my head and made a plan. MFP app and website let me analyze my food intake and exercise (that came later) and really see what my body needed.

Feel free to add me as a friend, too - and best of luck to you in your journey. Every portion of a pound lost increases your resolve to succeed - so keep at it! :)
  • innerballs
    Options
    you are not alone-- my energy level is in the red..but I did manage to do some squats during commercial breaks --- :ohwell:
  • CanadianGina
    Options
    I am new to this site also.. so hi all..

11 years ago I lost 60 lbs on another weigh-loss program and kept it off for 9 years..

Things changed in my life and so as it goes... I found most of the lost pounds..

I worked for this weight-loss agency for 11 yrs and of course with the weight gain they found a way to relieve me of my duties.. It was a very sad day for me.. I must say..

Now after a number of weeks of living the pity party, I decided I was not going to let this get me down. I have done this before and dang it, I am going to do it again.

But in order to get the job done, the first thing I needed to do is to learn to love me again. I know that I haven't at all changed on the inside, I am still the same person that I was in a smaller body. I can do this.

I am an ECE, PSW and a Addictions worker. I am confident in all 3 fields. I love to learn new things.

I am looking forward to a new beginning and making many new friends on this weigh-loss journey. I am looking for any support I can get, I am open to suggestions and I am more than willing to give support to anyone who needs it.

From this day forward I vow to think positive thoughts and to work hard to achieve my goals. Baby steps.. I day at a time.

If it is to be, It is up to me..
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Great comments by mmreed. Definitely take the time (even if you aren't excited about it) to take some pictures now. I didn't do a good job of that so I have to go back to pictures from last year to gauge the improvement. The one thing that he didn't say but is very important is that don't worry about what works for everyone else. See what others say, experiment and do what works for YOU.

Also, as alluded above, you will have weeks where it feels like you aren't getting anywhere. However, if you are honest with yourself and vary your routine, you will see improvement. I dropped the first 17-18 lbs pretty easily but after that, I've had good weeks and bad weeks and plenty of plateaus. Looking long term, I've lost 8.5 lbs since May 5th (roughly 13 weeks). In theory, it should have been closer to 11 lbs with the calorie deficit I was running. Considering the two weeks that I spent in hotels in that time frame, it's not bad.....but it can be discouraging. Think long term....not short term and appreciate the victories.
  • stephanieGbraswell
    stephanieGbraswell Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Dont worry just give it your all and you will do great.
  • steadybutsure
    steadybutsure Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    welcome on board. trust me if you commit to logging your meals and working out even for 20mins a day, you will succeed with this app. as time goes on, you'll automatically start aiming to be below your calorie goal. Beware, this website is ADDICTIVE.