I eat way to much fat.

Options
I was wondering how many grams of fat you all eat per day, and what helps you keep it low?
I find myself eating like 40-50 grams a day, and that seems like a bit too much.

Thanks in advance!x

Replies

• Phoenix212
    Phoenix212 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I usually end up around 30 g, but it's pretty easy to keep it low when you make all your own food. Choosing healthy fats is easier to keep it low, like almonds, avocado, olives... sometimes i'll have 2% cottage cheese in the morning and that's about the only time i'll have fats in my dairy ( I can't stand the taste of fat-free cottage cheese). If you think it seems high, take a look at where all those fats are coming from. Usually it's pretty easy to find fat-free or reduced fat variations of the same thing.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    What percent of your total caloric intake is fat ? The recommended amount is 20-35%. I'd focus on that rather than just the number range you gave. I eat a lot myself :) lots of nuts, nut butter, and avocado in my diet!
  • Fitsicle
    Fitsicle Posts: 14
    Options
    Sorry, but what do you mean by that?
    Today I had 1,429 calories & 58 grams of fat.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    That's about 33% calories from fat. It's fine.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Saturated fat is not bad for you . Fat is your friend. The whole concept that fat causes heart disease is a total myth.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Just as long as it is not the bad fats like Saturated or Trans Fats. The Unsaturated ones are good for you.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I guess just watch it throughout the day when you plan your meals. I have this problem and occasionally have over 100 or 120 grams :( but my calories are higher. So its not an insane amount. You could look at other people's food diaries to get ideas.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    research .
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I just make sure my fat is "good fat," and other than that, it's the only macro I don't worry about going over. I eat 1700 per day, with about 35% or more coming from fat. Today, I ate 1690 and had 94 grams of fat, but it came mostly from uncured bacon, coconut oil, avocado, olive oil, and feta.

I've realized that carbs are what generally make me gain or plateau, so I've been trying to eat Primal for the last couple of weeks. I feel better than I ever have, and don't feel bloaty at all, like I did when I'd eat a lot of carbs. This, of course, is just what I've learned works for me.

I hope this helps! <3

(Edited to add that a bit of the fat I ate today also came from walnuts, local grass-fed beef, and coconut butter. Yummmm.)
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    is it saturated or trans fat? no? then you're fine.

fat is essential. it creates your hormones and cell linings :)
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I just make sure my fat is "good fat," and other than that, it's the only macro I don't worry about going over. I eat 1700 per day, with about 35% or more coming from fat. Today, I ate 1690 and had 94 grams of fat, but it came mostly from uncured bacon, coconut oil, avocado, olive oil, and feta.

I've realized that carbs are what generally make me gain or plateau, so I've been trying to eat Primal for the last couple of weeks. I feel better than I ever have, and don't feel bloaty at all, like I did when I'd eat a lot of carbs. This, of course, is just what I've learned works for me.

I hope this helps! <3

(Edited to add that a bit of the fat I ate today also came from walnuts, local grass-fed beef, and coconut butter. Yummmm.)

While I'm not eating Primal, I totally agree with this - if it's healthy fats I don't worry about it at all (I'm at about 40-45%/day).

For me it's definitely refined sugars and yeasted breads that make me gain weight or plateau.

Keep in mind that fat is essential for absorbing many nutrients, and that "fat free" foods (like yogurt or dressings) often have increased sugar and other crap, to make them tasty again.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I eat between 28-45 depending on the day.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Usually no more than 30 grams a day but a few days here and there have gone higher. That said I just readjusted my macros yesterday and its set at 33 a day now.
  • 88Fifi88
    88Fifi88 Posts: 13
    Options
    Low/No fat dairy! It tastes amazing great and gluttonous but is really guilt-free and filling. It keeps my fat under my goal =)
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Saturated fats are BAD for you!
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    My fat goal is 102g, I usually get about 90g which are from olive oil, eggs, turkey sausage, a few treats, cheese, peanut butter and other meats.

You need fat, just like you need protein and carbs.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Just as long as it is not the bad fats like Saturated or Trans Fats. The Unsaturated ones are good for you.

You can easily have small amounts of saturated fats and not have it be a problem. Trans fats whether partially hydrogenated or fully hydrogenated are far worse than saturated.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

Some saturated fats are okay. They are very stable and don't go rancid like unsaturated ones.
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I aim for no more than 20g of saturated fats.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I actually have a pretty high fat diet compared to some (but I'm a gainer/maintainer so its probably not as important to me as it may be to others), I have it set on 63g (30% of 1900 calories), though yesterday it did go over and had 95g ekkk, but 80g of that came from very good sources, almonds, coconut oil and olive oil, most of the rest of my fat comes from dairy. But I eat a fairly high maintenance, and when I exercise it can be easier to meet my calories when I have fats. I should start cutting it down though.