Triathalon Training for Motivation?

Options
I know it is a tall order, and a long time away: But my goal is to complete the Coeur d' Alene, Idaho triathlon in August 2013!

I'm not a very good swimmer. I hate running. And I'm OK at biking but I need to buy a MUCH better bike.

So WHY am I doing this to myself?

Well, I've been trying to get into shape on and off for over 5 years now. I never get overly big, but I never get into tip top shape either. I get motivated for a couple of months then I slack for a while....YADA YADA YADA....you all know the story....

I think mostly it is a problem of motivation. It is hard for me to be motivated by "getting healthy" or "looking good next summer" . I am married, so I don't have dating pressures. I am a mom, so I DO have typical mom pressures dragging me away from working out....

Bottom line is; I think I need something MORE SPECIFIC to aim for. Coeur d' Alene is my hometown which I currently live a 7 hour drive from. I hope that will be sufficiently motivating and specific.

Any other triathletes or aspiring triathletes out there who want to start training with me?

Replies

• bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Might want to visit beginnertriathlete.com for triathlon training specifics for beginners. :smile:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a great idea - I'm not aiming to be a triathlete, but signing up for a running race always helps to keep me motivated to get out and run even on these dark cold winter mornings.
    Enjoy!
  • missjacki
    Options
    Might want to visit beginnertriathlete.com for triathlon training specifics for beginners. :smile:

great link! thanks.

Well, I'm on my 5th day of training. I've taken one day of "rest" in the middle.

going good so far...
  • lauraniwa
    lauraniwa Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You can friend me if you like. I started in triathlon 7 years ago and have done a variety of distances. I love it, completely addicted. I'd really like to have more mfp friends interested in the sport.
  • I'm training for my first Jiu-Jitsu martial arts competition in December. Learning a lot. Having a specific goal makes it way more fun. We should be friends!
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about the Syracuse, NY Iron Girl in August 2013. Might be a stretch but I think I can do it!
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    Definitely adding you as a friend :) I want to compete in a sprint distance triathlon in the summer of 2013 too! I am doing c25k now because I am a terrible runner and plan on buying a bike soon--I might start just using it to commute ~4 miles to and from work. I used to swim competitively, so I'm not as worried about that. I am working on building up my endurance again with swimming, and next summer I am going to try and practice a lot more in the waters of beautiful Lake Michigan--that is where the swimming portion of the race I want to do takes place, and I need to be able to deal with the choppiness of the water. Is the one you are planning on competing in open water or in a pool?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Nice. I'm kicking around the idea of IM Tempe next year.
  • missjacki
    Options
    Definitely adding you as a friend :) I want to compete in a sprint distance triathlon in the summer of 2013 too! I am doing c25k now because I am a terrible runner and plan on buying a bike soon--I might start just using it to commute ~4 miles to and from work. I used to swim competitively, so I'm not as worried about that. I am working on building up my endurance again with swimming, and next summer I am going to try and practice a lot more in the waters of beautiful Lake Michigan--that is where the swimming portion of the race I want to do takes place, and I need to be able to deal with the choppiness of the water. Is the one you are planning on competing in open water or in a pool?

I am also doing C25K right now.

Biking is my best (and that's not saying much) running I'm pretty bad at but swimming is my absolute WORST!

I never really learned to swim....sorta taught myself a crappy adapted style over the years....so I have to start my swim training at ground zero with adult swim lessons! EMBARASSING but necessary....

Yes, mine will be an open water swim on lake Coeur d' Alene in North Idaho (1,600 meter). That terrifies me. I know i can muscle through the rest but that swim.....YIKES!! Luckily it is my hometown and we are allowed to wear wetsuits....
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Dude, don't be ashamed of adult swim lessons! It' got me from zero to 1500 in 5 months! :smile:
  • MarlinWil
    MarlinWil Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    It is a year away, so it is understandable for you to stray during such a long period. Have you thought about committing to several "teaser" triathlons between now and then? Not sure if you have them over there, but here in Australia we have heaps of them. They are shorter, to encourage beginners and give them a taste for the discipline. I am doing one in November that has a 300m swim, 12km bike, and 5km run. I am like you, I seriously SUCK at the swim, LOVE the ride, and am growing in strength with the running.

If you can't find shorter tri's to do, then enter a few 5 or 10km runs in between - space them out by 2 - 3 months. This is realistic, and will keep you interested and motivated. And completing each one will fuel you up with inpiration and excitement for the next one. Go one step further and get your friends and family to sponsor you for the triathlon. Nominate the money to go to a cause you believe in. This makes you accountable, gets funds for a worthy cause and also makes it more real. It becomes about more than just you. This is a step you don't have to really think about now, but certainly as the time gets closer it can be something you may decide to do. Even form a team, so that you are all supporting and encouraging each other and also accountable to each other.

So many ways you can inspire yourself and keep it real, interesting and exciting. You are embarking on a wonderful experience, and for sure it will change your life. I personally would like to be one of those grandma's out there doing triathlons and half marathons (can't picture myself doing a full one!) and showing the younger girls that it doesn't matter how old you are. Even better would be to have my kids and grandkids doing it with me!!

All the best

Wil
  • MarlinWil
    MarlinWil Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Oops. Inspiration!! (For those of you who caught my end-of-the-day, I'm-tired-typo!!)
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    It is a year away, so it is understandable for you to stray during such a long period. Have you thought about committing to several "teaser" triathlons between now and then? Not sure if you have them over there, but here in Australia we have heaps of them.

^^^ This exactly.

I have set a long term goal to complete & compete in a Triathlon early next year over here in Australia - but like VitaraWil has already suggested it was a little bit too long away to keep me motivated, so when I felt strong enough and with some training over the past couple of months, I have entered myself into a couple of other events to keep my motivation going. I am doing a 10km jog/run on September 2nd and then a 'teaser' triathlon on October 14th which a short one to see if I like it.... Cannot wait.

I enjoy a short jog (5-10km) and am fine with a short ride (5-15km) however I used to be a swimmer but it's been a while since I have and being in 'open' water will make it that much more complicated! So I will begin my swimming training very soon!

Good luck with it all, but I also think you should have some short-term goals in the interim to keep you motivated all the way up to you long-term goal :smile:
  • Mamafood
    Mamafood Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to enter my first triathlon in September ...... Dreading the swim :-s
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    What distances is your triathlon? When you say Coeur d' Alene, many triathletes think of the Ironman held there, but I think that is in June. If this is your first triathlon, I wouldn't attempt the Ironman distance (2.4 mile swim, 120 mile bike, and 26.2 mile run). The sprint or Olympic distance is a great goal.

Get a swim coach or join a swim masters group. (Masters in swimming is anyone over 18). That will get you in the pool and will help your stroke.

Before the actual race be sure to do some open water swimming. Swimming and sighting to a buoy with hundreds of other people around while wearing a tight wetsuit in very cold water is much different than swimming by yourself in a lane of a heated pool. My community offers weekly Stroke & Stride (also call Dip & Dash) races that allow you to swim 1500 meters in open water followed by a 5K run. Look for them next summer. Also some lakes and reservoirs offer open water swim times in their swim area.

Over the winter (you obviously live in a cold area), try to get to a spin class regularly (or get a trainer for your bike) so that you are fit when it warms up in the spring. You might find some 50+ mile organized rides to do next summer as training. Or find a bike group to join.

Also, I agree with the previous poster about doing some tester races before the big one. Do 5Ks and 10Ks. See if you can find some duathlons (biking + running) before the big event.

You can do it and its the best feeling in the world when you have done it!
  • amiers11
    amiers11 Posts: 33
    Options
    I am 5 weeks away from my first triathlon. I am doing the Iron Girl in South Lake Tahoe, CA on 9/16. I am very similar in that I would stay committed for a couple of months then stop. Training for the tri has kept me motivated and I think I am going to be addicted to doing them from now on. Feel free to add me for support or tips for training :)
  • missjacki
    Options
    No, don't worry I am not doing the Coeur d' Alene Ironman. I doubt i'll ever do that, or if I did it would be at least 5 years away!!

No this will be the Olympic distance triathlon held in August of each year. 1,500 meter swim, 20 mile bike, 10k run.

Yes, I agree I need to find some lesser events to compete in between now and then.

My friend was just telling me about the "Warrior Dash" coming up in September 2012 that includes a 5k run plus other various things like climbing a cargo net, jumping over fire pits and climbing under barbed wire....that sounds fun.

Plus I'd like to do at least 1 if not 2 "Sprint" distance triathlons between now and next august. Problem is that I'm not anywhere near ready for the swimming portion.

I just signed up for my first private adult swim lesson for this saturday; that should get me started on my way....
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Olympic distance triathlon one year away is a very attainable goal. My first triathlon was also Olympic distance and I had to learn how to swim and learn how to ride a bike (I grew up in an urban area so didn't do much cycling as a kid). I also started with group swim lessons and learning to overcome getting panic attacks in deep water. If I can do it, anyone can.

What I didn't realize back then is that when you are swimming in open water with a wet suit you are very buoyant. It's almost impossible to drown. Hopefully that will alleviate some of your anxieties. if you get into trouble, you can always just flip on your back to float, get your breath and your wits, and then continue. There are some good "active rest" drills you can do in the pool also, to build your confidence of what to do if you think you may get into trouble on the swim.

I'm just getting back into triathlon training now and building a base for summer of 2013 racing (including half Ironman goal August 2013 - toying with idea of full ironman in Tempe in 2013 or 2014).

Feel free to friend me. Best of luck!