Fat?

Options
I don't think I've ever met my allowed amount of fat...I changed my macros to 40/30/30, and am consistently way under. Is it important for me to be eating more healthy fats, or does it not matter? Thanks!

Side note: I also take 3 fish oil capsules per day, 1000mg each.

Replies

• cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    It matters for me, and what I've found works. Fats help regulate hormones, keep cells healthy, etc., but I'm not a nutritionist, doctor, or biologist-- eating a good percentage of fat works for my lifestyle and goals. I find that when I eat as close to whole foods as I can, including nuts, avocados, full-fat dairy, and whatever fat's attached to the meat I'm eating, I feel better. And I think it keeps my coat nice and shiny, too. ;D

You'll get all sorts of opinions. My advice is to try it, eating as close to those macros as possible (and whole foods, when possible), and see how you feel. That's the true test. <3
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    It helps me stay satisfied or full enough to get me along to my next meal...I find that if I don't incorporate healthy fats I'm STARVING by the time that I get around to the next snack/meal. Do you experience that at all? Also, when consumed in moderation, they are heart-healthy in the sense that they increase good cholesterol and promote the decrease of bad cholesterol..I think your goal of 40/30/30 sounds great, and I would try to stay as close to it as possible :)
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever met my allowed amount of fat...I changed my macros to 40/30/30, and am consistently way under. Is it important for me to be eating more healthy fats, or does it not matter? Thanks!

Side note: I also take 3 fish oil capsules per day, 1000mg each.

How much do you weigh?
  • rach41413
    rach41413 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am rarely hungry. That's why I'm asking...I don't feel deprived in what I eat, but if there are benefits to eating more fat other than feeling full, I want to hear about them! :)

My highest weight was around 278, I started MFP at 270, and now I'm at 245. My calories are currently set at 1450 per day, and I net anywhere between 300 (with a LOT of exercise) and 1300.
  • lauraniwa
    lauraniwa Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Interesting - I'd like to see your diary. I spend my meal planning trying to find enough protein and not go OVER fats. Most of my protein is white meat, eggs whites, tuna, or nuts/seeds, and it just adds up. I'm now very careful with cooking and making my own dressings to avoid excess fat elsewhere. (like my *kitten* - he he he).
  • rach41413
    Options
    I opened up my diary for you! I looked back a bit and did find one day I went over on fats...a day I ate lunch out. Ohhh, restaurants! I do only have skim milk, fat-free yogurt, and 1 or 2% cottage cheese...but I HATE anything over 2% milk. If it seems worth it, I'll definitely buy full-fat yogurt and cottage cheese, though.

Most of my proteins are dairy, tilapia, eggs, and chicken. Pretty much anytime I have beef is when I'm at work or someone else is making the meal. I don't eat many nuts/seeds because they tend to be so expensive! I could also fork over some cash for those, if needed, though.

Oh, and with my diary: the meals got messed up cuz I added snack times in there yesterday, so pay no attention to the times. :)
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    It matters for me, and what I've found works. Fats help regulate hormones, keep cells healthy, etc., but I'm not a nutritionist, doctor, or biologist-- eating a good percentage of fat works for my lifestyle and goals. I find that when I eat as close to whole foods as I can, including nuts, avocados, full-fat dairy, and whatever fat's attached to the meat I'm eating, I feel better. And I think it keeps my coat nice and shiny, too. ;D

You'll get all sorts of opinions. My advice is to try it, eating as close to those macros as possible (and whole foods, when possible), and see how you feel. That's the true test. <3

Same here - I find that eating a decent % of fat works for me. Nuts, avocados (yum!), some full fat cream in my coffee etc.

Everyone will find something that works for their body and their lifestyle. But do keep in mind that many vitamins are fat soluble, and without sufficient fat intake your body won't be able to absorb enough of them (vitamins A, D and E for example).
  • rach41413
    Options
    Ohh, interesting, I didn't know that about vitamin absorption. That is definitely a pro for eating more fats, I don't want my diligent vitamin-taking and vegetable-eating to go to waste!