I wish MFP could just tell me what to eat :)

Options
pjjammy
pjjammy Posts: 4 Member
does anyone have a way of figuring out what to eat each day so you have the right amount of carbs, protein, fat, sodium etc? --- At days end, when I am trying to figure out dinner, I'll look at MFP and see where I'm at, what do I have left, and its so hard to get everything to go to zero, not over in something and under in something else. I wish MFP could assess what I ate in the past, what I therefore probably have in my kitchen again, and suggest, "oh eat rice with broccoli, a little salmon and add some butter for fat!"

maybe I just need a diet to follow, one that tells you what to eat for the right daily nutrition. Anyone have a suggestion?

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    MFP is supposed to be a tool, not do it for you.

However, try browsing the recipes or nutrition forums on here. There are some great ideas. It takes some practice but don't stress too much on getting it right to the zero. It's okay to have 2 grams and/or cals under or over your goal.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above answer. This is a learning process. We all started with not much knowledge. You just have to log all your meals, look at the nutrition in the things you like to eat, and learn to tailor it to your needs.
  • emmamiso5
    emmamiso5 Posts: 44
    Options
    Try eating protein with two fist fulls of veggies at each meal. This was the diet from my previous trainer. Good healthy snacks 1-2 per day. The more you minimize the splurges, the better.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    get some friends
    look at their food logs
    ????
    profit
  • brendas026
    brendas026 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    sparkpeople.com is the same as mfp and just as popular,plus that website tells you what to eat exactly. theres a grocery list you can print out at the beginning of the week , it tells you what you are going to need. it has more to-do stuff on their.
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    check out the following website: swole.me

you're welcome :D
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I fill out my meals in the morning before I start eating, that way I will know the outcome for the day. It takes some getting used to, but pre-planning meals is the best way to stay on track.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I fill out my meals in the morning before I start eating, that way I will know the outcome for the day. It takes some getting used to, but pre-planning meals is the best way to stay on track.

This.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    get some friends who eat around the same amount of calories and do the same workouts and look through their diaries for ideas.

or start off with a list of some foods that you really like and think of ways to enjoy them so they fit in your calorie budget
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It's not that hard. Just start plugging in foods into tomorrow's diary. Play around with it till things look just so. Do this every single day for a few weeks and you'll have the hang of it before you know it.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I suggest sparkpeople.com too. :) It's a calorie-counting website like MFP, but it gives example meals and snacks every day. You can delete/change the pre-planned meals too if you end up eating something else.
  • DaneDillinger
    DaneDillinger Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    get some friends
    look at their food logs
    ????
    profit

HAAAAAAAA! Underpants Gnomes reference. Outstanding.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    You don't need to aim for exactly zero.

Everyone has their own idea of what is appropriate. I can't see your diary so I don't know what your daily calorie goal is. But *I* think you should be eating *most* of your allotted calories including your exercise calories. If you are a bit under you'll be fine. If you're a bit over you'll be fine too but I wouldn't make a habit out of it.

So long as you're eating a caloric deficit but enough to sustain your bodily functions AND moreover energizes your mind & body you'll be fine.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    get some friends
    look at their food logs
    ????
    profit

<SNORT!> :laugh:
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I suggest you look at soscuisine.com
    they offer meal plans following all the guidelines from many governmental and health agencies.
    If you follow one of their plans, you are sure to have all the recommended minimum and you are always free to add more or to substitute some meals by others from their database.
  • pjjammy
    pjjammy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will both relax a little :) and look at some of the suggessted meal plans / websites! Appreciate all the feed back!