Exercise at Home with Fibromyalgia

Wow, my first post here. I know there are a lot of other people that deal with fibromyalgia so I'm hoping to get some help.

I was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue. I'm currently not on any meds as I can handle the pain for now and I'm trying to get myself in better shape before things get worse. I weigh 230 pounds (after losing 15 on the HCG diet - which triggered a flare up). I'm counting calories now and taking supplements, but I know I need to exercise in order to warm up my muscles and build up some stamina.

My problems with exercise is that I always go too far too fast, and now that my gym membership has been canceled (thanks to a nasty bank error) I'm trying to find ways I can exercise at home that will be okay with my fibro. I don't have weights or any machinery (except a recumbent bike) and I don't have a pool (or at least one that works). I would really appreciate any help, even if you tell me to weight lift soup cans ;)

Replies

• mason045
    mason045 Posts: 4 Member
    Do you have cable? I'm not sure where you are, but in my area we have Time Warner Cable and they have exercize on Demand. You'd have to really look thru the exercizes (there is alot of them!) but hopefully you'll find something that works for you. And yes--soup cans are good in a pinch! Good luck!
  • when i started to exercised i bought a 6-8 in stepper..... just stepping up and down on the stepper while lifing your arms up over your head, for 15 mins to start... over time increase your workout gradually. it's great for building leg muscles and cardio with the lifing of arms:) put your fast up beat music on and your set.... Dancing is another way to burn calories.
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    UntypicallyJi, GOOD FOR YOU! I actually did my master's thesis on fibro and exercise! The most successful exercise for fibro is walking, so all you need is a good pair of shoes. Check in your area for free places to walk year. Round. Most malls have clubs in the mornings before stores open. Also, are there any colleges or universities nearby? Most indoor tracks are open to the public and eliminate excuses when weather is poor! Let me know how I can help!
  • Thanks all. I don't have a car so if I were to walk, it would have to be just around the neighborhood. I'm going to try and do that. I also looked up videos on Tai Chi but I don't even know where to begin with that. Any recommendations?
  • LadyHappyfish
    LadyHappyfish Posts: 23 Member
    Thanks all. I don't have a car so if I were to walk, it would have to be just around the neighborhood. I'm going to try and do that. I also looked up videos on Tai Chi but I don't even know where to begin with that. Any recommendations?

Hi I have FM on tons of meds for it I found Firbromyalgiaexercise.com on youtube. this chap looks a bit like van diesel he shows you non contact boxing, he tells you how to step it up of how to do it from a chair (what I can do today is not what tomorrow has for me)
    He has a web site too, he offers food help. As he is a sufferer he knows about our yeast (some call it gluten issue)

I did his exercises in front of my laptop, Now I have bought the biggest loser for kinect and to the boxfit on that.

If you can swimming is brill. If you are at a point of having difficulty getting in or out your pool might have a disabled session you can join.

Best of health