Healthy Mashed Potatoes?

Options
2»

Replies

• faymom
    faymom Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Make your "mashed potatoes" with boiled cauliflower.
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Try the low-fat plain yogurt. I tried it for Christmas dinner and people who hate "diet food" asked me how I made them because they were so good. I think it was like 14 potatoes, 2 Tbsp. butter and 2 small cartons of plain yogurt. Very amazing.
  • musicmom04
    musicmom04 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    i use skim milk and laughing cow cheese. it's super yummy and you don't have to use butter.
  • sarahrawks
    Options
    my stepmom would do squash for fake out mashed potatos. she would grate them and do something. they were amazing
  • Brandiann
    Brandiann Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    You can also make sweet potato, mashed and add some cinnamon and a little of Splenda's Brown sugar blend.. Very tasty and healthy!! Yummy..
  • Jenbabe402
    Options
    Just wanted to note that I tried the cauliflower/potato mash and I personally loved it! No butter needed. However, my fiance hated it and said it smelled and tasted farty. I'll be making it again, for just me...
  • hellokari
    Options
    I also use cauliflower. I do half potatoes and half cauliflower with fat free sour cream and garlic powder. I mash it all together really well. It's really good!!!! My husband hates cauliflower and I used this recipe and he never knew it. Actually he thought those were the best mashed potatoes he had ever had. LOL I never told him.

mmmmm sounds so good! i think ill have to make this tomorrow! thanks!
  • ready4change
    ready4change Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Personally, I LOVE LOVE LOVE mashed potatoes. I know it's not always the absolute healthiest choice, but it's better than fries when I go out to eat. After reading this, I tried the mashed cauliflower... and ate 2 bites. It definately has the same texture, but if you're a big mashed potato fan like myself, probably just want to stick with the real deal. Just my opinion though!
  • ready4change
    ready4change Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Personally, I LOVE LOVE LOVE mashed potatoes. I know it's not always the absolute healthiest choice, but it's better than fries when I go out to eat. After reading this, I tried the mashed cauliflower... and ate 2 bites. It definately has the same texture, but if you're a big mashed potato fan like myself, probably just want to stick with the real deal. Just my opinion though!

All in moderation!
  • scru10izer
    Options
    So how does that work using only Cauliflower? I want to try this. Do you have a recipe? My wife does not cook much so it will be me doing it and I am not much of a cook either. Let me know. Thanks

Here's a recipe from Whole foods that I like. Be sure to cook the cauliflower very soft- I steam mine. I use a small food processor. You can also sub frozen for fresh. I also add lo-fat cream cheese instead of cream.

Mashed Cauliflower

Serves 4
    Mashed cauliflower tastes similar to mashed potatoes but reduces the carbohydrates. This simple recipe produces a smooth and creamy dish, and you can add a bit of cream, if desired.

Ingredients
    1 medium head cauliflower, cut into small florets (about 6 to 7 cups)
    2 to 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    2 to 4 tablespoons water
    Sea salt to taste

Method
    Boil cauliflower in water until very tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and place in a blender or food processor. Add olive oil and water, one tablespoon at a time until a smooth consistency, similar to mashed potatoes, is reached. Season with salt and serve immediately.

Nutrition
    Per serving (About 11/2 cups/155g-wt.): 110 calories (80 from fat), 9g total fat, 1.5g saturated fat, 3g protein, 7g total carbohydrate (3g dietary fiber, 3g sugar), 0mg cholesterol, 190mg sodium