Running Advice Please

Options
So today I just completed the last day of the C25K (couch to 5K) program. Yay me! Except ....I am not running a full 5K yet. Max is about 30 minutes straight for about 2.25 miles. Which is about a 14 minute mile. Pretty slow I guess. I'm doing this on my treadmill, at least until it cools off a little here. But the thing is, it's the best I can do right now. I don't know if its the extra weight I'm still carrying or that I quit smoking just a few months ago but it's all I can do. I wear a HRM and I can tell that I recover quicker than I used to and it takes longer to 'max' out my rate so I'm improving, but its slow...

So on to my question. Now that the program is over I need a new goal or some kind of structure. I can't decide if it would be better to try to go faster for a shorter period of time or try to continue at my pace and add mileage slowly and hope that speed will eventually come? This may be a dumb question and it may not even matter in the end which I do, I'm not sure... Or.... If I am not able to do more than 30 mins in a row if I walk for a bit and then run another mile, is that still beneficial towards this goal?

I know I'm over thinking this, (its a gift what can I say?).... but thanks in advance for your advice. :smile:

Replies

• A_Valerie
    A_Valerie Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your ultimate goal. do you really want to run a 5k? if so you will want to increase the time. Use the last week but add more time. If you want to increase speed then slowly up the pace you are running.
    Another option you may want to consider is increasing the incline, that will add difficulty to your existing run.
    Hope that helps.

I am finishing up week 3 today and I used to be an avid runner(6 miles a day/ 5 days per week) until i hurt my ankle.
  • lrazzo
    lrazzo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I run at the exact same pace as you (14 minutes mile or there abouts) and I've run six 5k's this year. I just adopt the attitude that my goal is to finish the distance, not worry about the time. I ran my most recent race at about 44 minutes for the 5k. That's so freaking slow compared to everyone else but I have decided my goal is endurance and distance, not time. So my roudabout answer to your post is that I'd suggest challenging yourself to not watch the clock, but to move up to 2.5 miles, then 2.75, then 3, and so on and so forth. I found it so much more satisfying to conquer miles than worry about time. I am never going to be a fast runner, but maybe I can go for long distances? I am trying. Contemplating but nervous about a possible 10k in my future, but first my next goal is 4 miles. Baby steps!

I also used C25k program to get to where I am now.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Find a training plan for a 10k, or even a half marathon.

Just keep going. Run 3 times a week, with rest days in between. Start with 2 miles on Tuesday (for example), then 3 miles on Thursday and 4 miles on Saturday. Make one day your speed training day, if your interested in upping your pace.

Great job.

Ps. It doesn't matter if you are running a 7 minute mile or a 14 minute mile, it is still a mile.
  • Mrbigt28
    Options
    Alot of times things are mental... Your body will do whatever your mind allows it to do... Good ahead and speed up alittle for the same amount of time... Alot of times we get what i call comfortable at what we're doing. Step out of your comfort zone and let it all hang out. if you on treadmill doing 4mph push it to 5mph. once you get going you wont even notice a difference
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My goal was 3 miles per workout. I don't run (yet...who knows what the future will hold), but I do walk 3 miles at a time on the treadmill, with an incline of 5%.

Maybe you just want to make that 3 miles the goal. If you're too tired at the end of the 30 minutes to keep running, walk the rest of the distance, and try adding a bit more running with each work out.
  • KravMark
    KravMark Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Good advice all Thanks!!
  • BlueMacaroniArt
    BlueMacaroniArt Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Wow, I don't know who to reply back to because you have all given me things to consider. I appreciate it. I'm not sure what my goal is other than I just want to run. I want to enjoy it and I tend not to enjoy things I am not good at. And by good, I don't mean I need to win races or be impressive to anyone other than myself, I just need to feel like I'm doing my best...
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this as well, but I'm still only halfway through C25K. Since I'm currently doing C25K on time, by the end I want to make sure I really am running the full distance. If I am not up on distance I will work up on distance and then I want to add days to my running schedule until I match the pretraining program listed here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/142.shtml

After that, who knows? I'll roll dice between harder 5k training programs, 10k training programs, or sitting on the couch eating cheesecake.
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if you are running a 7 minute mile or a 14 minute mile, it is still a mile.

Very true!! I'm with the opinion to keep adding a little time each day to your run (you can easily do another 3-5 minutes). Before you know it you will have that 3.1 Miles and then some!
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    First off, you are doing great.
    If I am not able to do more than 30 mins in a row if I walk for a bit and then run another mile, is that still beneficial towards this goal?
    Big YES to this. The best thing you can do as a beginner to improve your running is to get more time and more miles in. Taking walk breaks is fine. The speed will come as your body becomes more efficient at running. If you have the time and energy, I'd work up to 30-60 minutes, 5 times per week, alternating longer and shorter days; adding only 5-10 minutes per week to a workout. Once you've been able to do this for a couple of weeks, then you can start exploring some strategies to work on your pace if you like. If you don't have quite that much time to spend, less is fine too of course.
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    The best advice here is to pick a new goal. One new goal. Don't try to increase speed and distance at the same time. You'll get to a 5k either way, whether by speeding up until you can run it in 30 minutes, or getting so you can run long enough to finish it at your current pace.

Either plan is fine, but if want to they to the magic 5k number faster, I'd concentrate on the distance first. You're pretty close on distance, a lot farther away on time. Once you can do a 5k then work on getting faster.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    2 months ago I was running a 14 min mile. Now I toggle between 10-11 minute mile. I have run about 4 5k's and a 4 miler during that time. I hate training runs, so when I do, I only run about 2 miles. My concentration is cycling, so I believe that, combined with the tiny training runs and the races have helped build my speed.

I have no desire to run anything other than 5k's so I am content with building speed.
  • britt8808
    britt8808 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    When it comes to running you have to pick speed or distance and work on one at a time.
    Rule of thumb is no more than a 10% increase to distance at a time.
    So if you can do 2.25 now than next week try to increase the distance to around 2.4 miles for the next week. It will take you longer since the pace won't change, but in reality the difference in time running shouldn't be more than 2-3 minutes a week.
    The week after increase the distance to 2.6 miles etc....

Once you can do your 5k than you might want to consider working on speed.
    For speed you have a few options:

1) interval training (so do a quarter mile at a faster pace than you normally run). If your normal speed is a 14 minute mile than try to run it at a 12 or 13 minute pace. Then rest for 2-3 minutes (or however long it takes your heart rate to go down) and repeat it 4-6 times. (The better you get at running the more you will do).

2) Distance work: This usually works better if you run outdoors. But what you do is you get a route down and you stop increasing the distance. As you do it over and over you will start to run it faster because running it gets easier so you find you can push yourself harder. To keep yourself honest you can try to time the workout once every week and half to two weeks. I recently used this method to get my 2 mile time down and it let me drop roughly 40 seconds in around a month and a half. (intervals do work faster but they are not nearly as fun).

Whatever you choose to do congratulations on running. If you want feel free to message me and I can try to help you build a more specific plan.
  • formbuddy
    Options
    I am training for my first race - a 10K in mid-September and am currently in week 7 of the C25K program. At my current pace I do not think that I would be able to run 5K in 30 minutes either. Nevertheless I am trying to increase my pace as follows:

1) Mornings (treadmill, everyday) - 2 minutes brisk warm up walk - 18 minutes jogging (increasing the speed by 0.1 Kmph every day - am currently running at 9 Kmph) followed by 5 mins cool down walk

2) Evening (outdoors, three to four times a week) - C25K (don't care much about the pace, just want to complete the workout without stopping)

Once I finish C25K, I am planning to take up the bridge to 10K program. I probably wouldn't be able to complete it by race day, but will still try my level best to complete the race without stopping!
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of science out there on faster v longer. Beginners like to see progress so the instinct is to say get to 5k then try to speed up over the same distance. This works to a point and is satisfying.

It is interesting that you say you reach your HR max during your workout - this is because you can no longer supply the oxygen demanded by your muscles. This will not improve quickly by trying to go faster. In order for your muscles to adapt to being more efficient you need to stay within the aerobic range - slower and longer.

Try running for a set period of time - and dont let your HR go over your max less 50. (if your max is 180 then stay below 130) . This will almost certainly mean you will have to walk at some point. But stick with it and improvements will come and you will soon be running longer and faster with the same heart rate. It feels counterintuitive and goes against the 'no pain no gain' mantra but it works.