Exercise on the Job?

Options
I work in a hospital and am constantly on my feet. Out of an 8 and 1/2 hour shift, I spend 8 hours on my feet going from patient to patient.

For anyone working on their feet the whole shift, would you think it's accurate to post this under the exercise diary as "Walking, 2.0 mph, slow pace" ?

A hectic 8 hour shift("Walking, 2.0 mph, slow pace"), or 480 minutes, is 1491 calories.
If all I did was sleep for 24 hours, my body would burn 1,548 calories.
(You can check yours here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator )

This seems pretty accurate to me. I want to read other people's opinions so I'm not cheating on my exercise when I'm stuck at work all day.

Thank you!!

-Krissy

Replies

• sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I'm a RN in the hospital and thats what i put as my starting activity level when I began so no I don't chart work as exercise. If it was it would have worked for me before. Lol
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    You can set up your profile to factor your job into your calorie intake instead of as exercise.
  • pinkmoonk
    pinkmoonk Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Oh, awesome! I'm having trouble finding where to add that in. Is it under the exercise tab?
    Sorry and thanks again! :)
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Just increase your activity level so you're not sedentary but lightly active or moderately active or whatever.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I have an extremely physical job, unloading pallets and stuff. I walk about 13k steps per day

Unfortunately, both my Dr. and my Nutritionist told me that you cannot use work as exercise. Your body is used to walking and will just consider that as normal. Unless it's actually doing something above and beyond, it's not going to be a 'bonus' for you. I just couldn't wrap my head around that fact that my super busy job wasn't exercise, but it makes sense. If I'm doing that 5 days per week, it's just my normal status quo. It was only by adding in workouts that I started losing weight.

Sure is disheartening though :(
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Oh, awesome! I'm having trouble finding where to add that in. Is it under the exercise tab?
    Sorry and thanks again! :)

Go to your goals page and set up your goals again - you'll see the option there to select "active" as your daily activity setting. Much easier than trying to add it every day as exercise.