Depression - what helps??

Options
2»

Replies

• aswinter
    aswinter Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When I used to get really stressed out with classes and feeling overwhelmed with life, I'd go for a run or a walk. Doesn't really matter how long or how far you go at first, but then when you keep at it you realize you're going farther and for longer each time and that really makes you feel a lot better.
  • thedancingleper
    thedancingleper Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Therapy, clean eating (it takes a while but you'll notice a difference in mood after a few weeks), pills, and behavioral changes. The latter you can learn in therapy (but also from books if you can't afford a therapist). I think learning to change the way you think is the most important element for depression specifically. I was diagnosed bipolar 10 years ago, so I have a lot of experience in these things. Good luck.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I suffer from depression as well and have not had a test done to be sure its a chemical imbalance or not, but i've been at this for 2 months, exercising for 30 minutes or more for 6 days a week and i have noticed a considerable difference in my mood swings. I feel like the lows dont go as low now, and when i do feel down it doesnt last as long as it used to or even really bring me to tears like it used to. I'd like to say the steady boost of endorphins is helping. My poor self image only made the depression worse so I suspect that taking an active role is helping with that as well. Good luck!
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Thanks PU_239
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Do what your doc says- but pay extra attention when they say proper nutrition and exercise. I have taken meds, but also added vitamin D (blood tests and doc recommended) and magnesium. The best thing I have done is to accept what I don't have control over and change what I can control. I am certainly not "healed", but I am much happier. Good luck to you!
  • JoannaJoyReynolds
    Options
    Go see a good doctor, one that you can trust (get references from friends if need be). He or she can probably help you more effectively than all of us. And NOT all doctors just jump straight for the happy pills. They should give you a healthy, all round solution.
    :smile:
  • eireannyoung
    eireannyoung Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Clean eating and exercise! For sure!

I was on antidepressants for six years, and at first they helped a lot, but they kind of lost their effectiveness over time. After some very uncomfortable withdrawals, I got off of them using diet, exercise, and herbs.

For me, personally, my biggest food triggers for depression were grains and sugar. Your mileage may vary, but I'd definitely recommend cutting out sugar if nothing else. Also make sure to eat plenty of vegetables, healthy fats and protein.

As for exercise, I just go for a 30 minute walk each morning and it gets me in a better mood for the rest of the day.

Herbs that I use to help depression are: rhodiola rosea, licorice, siberian ginseng, gotu kola, nettles, and green tea
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I've never been clinically diagnosed to suffer from depression, but I have had bouts of it since late childhood, and experienced a severe depression that started last September and only lifted in January, coincidentally when I started to exercise and eat better on a consistent basis. Suicidal thoughts and feelings of worthlessness went away, and I had the energy to do more than get out of bed. For me, it wasn't a conscious thing like 'I feel sad. I'm going to go to the gym to feel better", it was more getting into a routine of bettering myself physically, and my emotions balanced out as a result.

I am currently in a very stressful family situation right now, and I don't think I could have handled going through this had it happened last winter when I was so depressed, the thought kind of scares me.
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    Hi hope you are feeling good right now Im no expert here but I find the gym helps me a lot Im lucky not to suffer with depression and I have every sympathy for anyone who does,I do understand pressure and stress Im carer to my mum with Alzehimers and I know if I didnt have regular exercise I couldnt cope at all it just clears my mind I hope this helps a bit and that you are ok
  • johnsnana
    Options
    I have suffered from it alot in the past 35 years (alot was due to my environment but also childhood trauma. It is a proven fact that exercising helps with depression, releasing endorphins which help you feel better, so anything you can do to keep moving will help! Also some people have allergies to gluten (in breads etc.) or don't react well to too many carbs/sugars, you might try cutting way back on those & try eating more veggies. There has been studies that taking Fish oil can help with depression. But depression can be a very serious, life threatening condition so I suggest talking with your doctor first since we are not doctors here ;o) I took meds, for me they only made me more depressed/suicidal in fact, & it was quite depressing trying to find the right med & the right dose (it can take years under doctor's care). So I would try changing the things you can first, your eating & exercise, then if it doesnt improve, see a doctor. Alot of people want an easy fix (a pill) a cure all, there isn't one. Like everything worth having, it takes work.
    Best wishes to you, feel free to ad me to your friends if you need support.:flowerforyou:
  • VickyFine
    Options
    Exercise does help your depression as does anything that gets your mind off of you. Read a book. Make something. Get outside if possible. Talk to a friend or family member. Help someone. Smile. Laugh. Look things up on google. I feel for you. Depression is tough. Hang in there.
  • NotThePest
    NotThePest Posts: 164
    Options
    Run as quick as you can to the book store, apple book store, amazon, etc or your local library and get this book, SPARK: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain, by John Ratey, MD. There are several chapters on how exercise effects the brain's chemicals and moderates the ones that control mood and emotion.

After reading that book and another one he wrote called, The User's Guide to the Brain, I know longer exercise to control my blood glucose levels, but to keep my little brain cells intact and in working order.
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with major depression at 14. I have days where I get so depressed and I have no idea why. I hate feeling like that... but I've noticed that exercise truly helps with that. Ever since I've started exercising regularly and eating better, I'm in a much better mood than I was. Other than that, therapy can be helpful too.
  • KellyUK1987
    Options
    I have severe anxiety, and moderately severe depression, and find that swimming really helps. It's so calming and soothing for me.
    I go for about an hour, and spend about 10 - 15 mins just floating around to collect my thoughts, and see the way the water moves, I find it therapeutic.

Depression is a physical, as well as mental, illness. As the chemicals in your brain are out of balance.

I find that putting my mind to something allows me to forget about the depression. Such as Calorie Counting. I'm obsessed with it at the moment. Every little thing I eat, is put in to this site. If I'm going to go over, I just simply do a bit of exercise / WiiFit so that I can bring it down again. So I know that I am in control :)
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Step 1: Start keeping a journal. It doesn't have to be elaborate, but enough to know which are your toughest days and which are better.

Step 2: Track your food and exercise.

Try to make better food and exercise choices. After a month, see if there's a pattern. Over several months, see if those tough days seem to fall in the same pattern each month.

If you have the leeway, see a good nurse practitioner and get checked out. They are way better about this sort of thing than full on docs, IMO.
  • Jigglebewie
    Jigglebewie Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I'm suffering from depression, and social anxiety =[

I find that exercise reeeally does help me. I don't exercise to lose weight in my mind, I exercise to feel better and the added benefit you lose weight =] Sometimes I only feel good for a few hours after exercise but it's feel better than sitting there all day, like I do being miserable. I find it very hard to concentrate on stuff, I left my job cuz it got so bad I couldn't face going daily, and I have no mtivation for doing my coursework =/ the only thing I seem to be doing well in is the whole fitness thing =] I'm reading, researching and exercising. The best thing is to start slow, do something you think you will enjoy, not something you hate. I'd go walking but if your like me, I don't like going out and feel very self-concious so I prefer to do aerobics dvds.

The healthier food has helped me a lot too, when I eat crap I feel liek it helps at first, that I'm just ignoring everythign and eating my feelings, but the next day, boy do I feel so bad =[ As I've been eating a lot better for the past few months, it gets easier and makes me feel good.

I have been reading a book that doesn't exactly have a magical solution, but it has some things you change in your life: The Depression Cure (Without Drugs) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Depression-Cure-Six-Step-Programme-Without/dp/0091929814/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1343996763&sr=1-1 Could help or give you some ideas on where to start. I'm currently having CBT to help with my negative thinking, and am on a waiting list for a social anxiety course. Defo get some professional help tho *hugs*