Not enjoying water

Options
2»

Replies

• missypoo1974
    Options
    My only tip is keep a water bottle (or drinking cup) in your hand. You will drink it without even thinking about it. Do this whenever you can...sitting watching tv, driving somewhere, if you go for a walk, etc. I have found that I can drink a liter of water on my 1/2 hour drive to work. I know it sounds silly, but it's worth a try, right?
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I like pellegrino or topo chico in a glass with ice and lime...ahhhhh...drinking it now.
  • krystymc
    krystymc Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i can't stand water either. our town's tap water is disgusting, so my family drinks filtered. but that still isn't fun. i'm a sipper, i used to have a big glass of pop/soda on my computer desk all the time to sip at. never really been into coffees and the like, just the sweet drinks. it was a comfort, it meant life was good if i had that cola there.

now i'm very aware of how much water my body needs. so i have given up trying to like it. i don't want to force myself. but, like a hard workout or like a physical challenge or goal, it's not there for me to like it. it's there for me to conquer, to hurdle, to work through and move beyond.

to me, and clearly others, water sucks! but it's so necessary that i try to not force myself to like it and just accept the fact that i NEED it. so badly. we all do.

changing containers helped too. i remember beer drinking days of decades gone by, when we were all happy with a brewskie we could chug really fast like a college pro. find a container that measures the water with numbers on the bottle, and has an easy to drink from opening, so you can just chug that stuff down fast and hard and smack your lips, calculate how much you drank, record it and feel satisfied for that...albeit somewhat sick in the tummy for the first little while.

water may be an acquired taste but i don't expect i'm ever going to like it. but i sure love what it does for my body!

here's my bottle. http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?Prod_ID=RP091201 oddly enough...they call it a chug bottle! and i only now realized how many ounces it holds *hangs head dejectedly and smirks* apparently counting ounces of water i drink isn't something MFP will do for me...*goes to adjust something* >.>
  • mushroomcup
    mushroomcup Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I used to be sort of the same way. I didn't hate water, but I didn't want to drink it and I think my body got used to being dehydrated. About a year ago, for a couple of weeks I just dealt with it and forced myself to drink a lot of water (I carried a large water bottle with me everywhere I went, even around the house). At some point during those couple of weeks, I think something just clicked physically and I was suddenly CONSTANTLY thirsty. I went from drinking maybe a cup or cup and a half of liquids (not water) a day to two liters of water a day. Now I rarely drink anything other than water; the only other drink I "regularly" have is coffee and that's only a few times a week. I never would have expected it a year ago, but water is now appetizing to me if that makes sense.
  • SmileyFaceGuy
    Options
    When I first started drinking water, I hated it too. How I overcame this was seriously just by chugging it; I didn't have too much of a problem drinking as long as I didn't let it linger in my mouth. Now, I don't mind drinking water at all.

I don't agree with the others suggestion cold water, but that's just personal preference. I like room temperature water. The only problem with room temperature water, however, is that it gets hot when you take outside while exercising in the summer. Eww.
  • sportjeep
    Options
    My fiancé have the Pur water filter pitcher that we drink out of. And yes I have tried just about every water flavor single serve packets out there. Though I'm still using them, I've been taking all of your suggestions into consideration and been trying to keep up. I'm at 3 cups now and am planning on drinking more thanx to the many suggestions :).
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I like skim milk, coffee, lattes. That's how I get most of my liquid in.
  • tigerlily132
    Options
    My only tip is keep a water bottle (or drinking cup) in your hand. You will drink it without even thinking about it. Do this whenever you can...sitting watching tv, driving somewhere, if you go for a walk, etc. I have found that I can drink a liter of water on my 1/2 hour drive to work. I know it sounds silly, but it's worth a try, right?

I completely agree. I have a 16.9 oz water bottle at work which I constantly fill up. By the end of the work day I've had 8cups without even thinking about it. Today I had a total of 11 cups of wate
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options

I completely agree. I have a 16.9 oz water bottle at work which I constantly fill up. By the end of the work day I've had 8cups without even thinking about it. Today I had a total of 11 cups of wate

That's a great idea, but my problem is that I always set them down and forget about them. Probably lost $50 worth of nalgenes that way.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    ive always loved water and drank water... just knowing how good it is for you!!! and once you get into something and used to something you want it more...and water is calorie freeeeeeeeeee...
    like a lot of other people on here I too like it very cold! I throw water bottles in the freezer and have em ice cold for workouts!
  • kmbirkel
    Options
    Maybe try using a straw to start out with or add slices of lemon or lime in the glass. You don't taste it quite as much. When I first started incorporating more water, I found filtered water to help tremendously - not bottled water, but filtered (like a Pur or Britta filter). My office has a filtered water cooler from Culligan and that helped too.

I've heard that slices of cucumber are supposed to be good, but I'm a little afraid to try it. Like wrensong27, water is pretty much all I drink now outside of morning coffee. The more I exercise, the more I crave it now. Keep after it, you'll get there!

Cucumber water is the most refreshing thing in the WORLD. Give it a try! What have you got to lose, besides the 50-100 cents the cucumber might cost? :)
  • urbansmamma
    urbansmamma Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I just chug it a few times a day. I have a starbucks 24 oz cup and if I drink it 3 times per day I'm good. The big straw helps to suck it down faster. Add lemon and thin cucumber slices. I also like strawberry slices.

Another thing that helps is get a 16 oz pint glass. Pound a pint first thing in the morning, another before breakfast, before lunch and before dinner and you are done. You'll eventually get used to it,but I recommend you don't do the crystal light. It has all kinds of chemicals and additives. Pure water is AMAZING for you and helps you lose weight and benefits your body.
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I was the same, never drank water. But I bought a one litre 'bobble' bottle, that filters the water as you drink it. I keep that with me every day and make sure that by the end of the day that I have finished that bottle at least once, if not more. I won't allow myself any other drink, except milk in my coffee. It was hard, but between the still water from the bobble, and fizzy mineral water (which I use as my treat when I don't WANT water) I've learnt to be ok with it.

I do this too. I got a water bottle from my mom's law office (one of their promotional items) when I visited her last. I hated water -- it's just so... blah -- but I got some MiO and found some flavors I really like.

Drinking water, I've found, is more of a habit than an enjoyment. Yeah, it doesn't excite me, but then again, neither does eating a low calorie diet. Dangnabbit, I want my Starbucks drinks back! So, to make it feel more like something beneficial like exercise, I drink one bottle of water after my morning coffee. One over lunch, then one in the afternoon before I leave work. If I finish the third one early enough, I "treat" myself with either a coke zero from the soda machine at work or another cup of coffee.

Then for dinner, I let myself drink whatever I want (that's zero calorie). In the beginning, it was a chore. But now, it's more habit than anything and I definitely, DEFINITELY can feel the benefits of drinking 74+ ounces of water a day.
  • casnic25
    casnic25 Posts: 81
    Options
    I use something called Mio. It flavors your water with zero calories.
  • echeeks
    echeeks Posts: 1
    Options
    I have the same problem I drink it because I must but it is hard for me as well. I have started using fresh lemons and that makes it a lot easier.
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Hi, I found that if I drank water first thing after waking I could drink a good cup or cup and a half, which is a nice portion of the daily amount suggested. Then try a glass with each meal. It helped me to think that I didnt have so much left to go. :drinker:
  • 4Elyse2012
    4Elyse2012 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I go through phases of loving water, then will go for a while where I can't stand the thought of drinking plain old water all day. The best remedy I have found is actually FOOD! Fresh, raw foods provide almost all the water we need and if you hate drinking water, eating is certainly a good option to make sure you are covered!

Recently the idea of drinking 64oz of water a day as a rule has been questioned; not that its a bad thing to do it and if it makes you feel better, go for it. There hasn't been much scientific evidence to back up either side, 64oz or not. There's an interesting article from the American Society of Nephrology (kidney study) on their website by Dr. Dan Negoianu and Dr. Stanley Goldfarb about the subject. They have found that there's no real scientifically proven benefit, although the opposite hasn't been studied either. Worth reading!

So I've found eating more fresh foods replaces my need for drinking a ton of "plain" water, but that might not be the case for everyone. Listen to your body and it will let you know what it needs!
  • sportjeep
    Options
    I use something called Mio. It flavors your water with zero calories.

I've done the Mio, but at close to $5 I've gotten out of them just because of the price :(.

@urbansmamma: Why not the crystal lights? I know you said they have the additives and other chemicals, but from the ice tea that I have, I haven't read any of it. I've heard good things about the crystal light, but....if your saying something different, then I'd like to be educated about them :D.