Bathroom Scales

Options
I need to buy some new, accurate, mid-range bathroom scales (up to about £50). Does anyone have any recommendations? My current scales vary in reading by as much as a stone - very frustrating to say the least and now I am not sure if my start reading was accurate :(

Replies

• meridian35
    meridian35 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I bought these a year ago, they are pretty good and analyse body fat % as well as BMI:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8333951/Trail/searchtext>SCALES.htm

They are Salter glass body analyser
  • lisamlc
    lisamlc Posts: 61
    Options
    Thank You :)
  • iieee
    iieee Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've got this one and seems pretty accurate but doesn't do anything fancy like body fat %.
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8321808/Trail/searchtext>BATHROOM+SCALES.htm

Make sure you do it on a hard, even floor if you have any, carpets can affect the reading a lot.
  • lisamlc
    Options
    So.....I got some new ones and the old ones were certainly faulty - I weigh 2 STONE more than I thought. I am mortified. I have been eating really well and exercising hard and now I have taken a 28lb step backwards. I still know that I must have lost and I have guessed 7lbs because that is the average reading on the old scales just my starting point and the size of the task in hand has changed.

Had a good cry this morning but did not resort to comfort food.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    So.....I got some new ones and the old ones were certainly faulty - I weigh 2 STONE more than I thought. I am mortified. I have been eating really well and exercising hard and now I have taken a 28lb step backwards. I still know that I must have lost and I have guessed 7lbs because that is the average reading on the old scales just my starting point and the size of the task in hand has changed.

That happened to me when my scale started giving out inaccurate readings, I had to replace the batteries. I thought I'd been doing so well and I had to RELOSE the same 13 lbs I'd just lost. I hadn't lost it, my scale was mocking me.

I understand this completely :(
  • lisamlc
    Options
    It is awful, isn't it?
  • mirandamayhem
    Options

Oh no! That is gutting!
    But it just shows how much a number on a scale can bother us and affect our feeling of self worth. You're no different to who you were before you got the new scales. Don't forget that. xxx Keep on the path to health. We will get there. I've got 5 stone to lose, so you're not alone with big goals. xxx
  • fluffeesquirrel
    fluffeesquirrel Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Now I'm really scared about my scale accuracy!!
  • lisamlc
    Options

Oh no! That is gutting!
    But it just shows how much a number on a scale can bother us and affect our feeling of self worth. You're no different to who you were before you got the new scales. Don't forget that. xxx Keep on the path to health. We will get there. I've got 5 stone to lose, so you're not alone with big goals. xxx

Thank you, you are right, I am no different to yesterday, the numbers in my head and the number I have to lose are bigger. On the plus side my calorie goal has done up by 200!
  • lisamlc
    Options
    Now I'm really scared about my scale accuracy!!

I am sure it wont happen to you too. My old ones were giving wildly different readings (more than a stone difference between readings seconds apart) unfortunately I didn't notice until my first weigh in (I took them at their word when I weighed myself at the beginning).
  • Emmabulliemum
    Emmabulliemum Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have the weightwatchers glass ones from Argos but all scales vary unless they are regularly calibrated and you weigh at the same time on the same surface. I always weigh first thing and with no clothes on so I get an accurate-ish weight track.

However you can ditch the sceles for a bit and go by measurments as these are more accurate you can lose inches when your weight is staying the same :@)