Best abs workout for men?

Options
Hi guys,

My fiance wants to start training his abs & wants to do a workout similar to Jillian Michael's 6 Week 6 Pack but that is specifically aimed at men. Is there anything like this that you'd recommend?

Thanks x

Replies

• missy20703
    missy20703 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My husband saw great results using the ab ripper x from the p90x workout. It is only 15 mins and doing a few times a week should work wonders  (Its also my fav ab workout for me too!)
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Best abs workout to get them to show is to get down to 10% bf and lower.
  • leopard_barbie
    leopard_barbie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    My husband saw great results using the ab ripper x from the p90x workout. It is only 15 mins and doing a few times a week should work wonders  (Its also my fav ab workout for me too!)

That's great thankyou, will check it out!
  • leopard_barbie
    Options

Well aware of this, don't worry. He does a lot of cardio & knows you can't spot reduce fat, just tends to work his arms etc a lot more than his abs so wanted something in the style of JM where you mix abs exercises with cardio.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

Well aware of this, don't worry. He does a lot of cardio & knows you can't spot reduce fat, just tends to work his arms etc a lot more than his abs so wanted something in the style of JM where you mix abs exercises with cardio.

Well actually there is one exercise that I've found useful but it's a bit weird.

To give full backstory on it - as you may or may not be aware there are inner muscles on your abs - they are the ones that you use to pull your belly in. These are also the ones that create the 'grid' like effect. Working these does help flatten a stomach and emphasise a real sharpness between each section.

I stole this from tim Ferriss's book the 4 hour body:

Kneel on the floor and put your hands under your shoulders so that both arms and thighs are parallel to eachother and perpendicular to the floor.

Take a steady deep breath in and then out. Then breath in again, but this time when you exhale, do it as forcefully as you can. When you have exhaled, suck your stomach in really hard like you're trying to pull it towards the ceiling and hold it there under full tension for 10 seconds.

Release, breathe in once slowly and out again, then in and then out forcefully etc etc...

Try that for 10 reps and do it 3 or so times a week. Worst case is it doesn't work and he looks a bit daft for a few minutes every other day lol

Also - highly neglected are the obliques, but they make all the difference. mine suck *kitten* and I know I need to do something about it because it really is one thing that can totally alter the way someone looks.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Squats and Deadlifts, heavy ones, will engage the core like crazy. Add in accessories like ab wheel, hanging leg raises, dumbbell side bends.
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    What sort of abs do you want him to have?

What sort of abs does he want to have?

Marathon Runner
    Fit Model
    Body Builder
    Powerlifter
    Boxer - MMA

Different workouts for different results.
  • leopard_barbie
    Options

Well actually there is one exercise that I've found useful but it's a bit weird.

To give full backstory on it - as you may or may not be aware there are inner muscles on your abs - they are the ones that you use to pull your belly in. These are also the ones that create the 'grid' like effect. Working these does help flatten a stomach and emphasise a real sharpness between each section.

I stole this from tim Ferriss's book the 4 hour body:

Kneel on the floor and put your hands under your shoulders so that both arms and thighs are parallel to eachother and perpendicular to the floor.

Take a steady deep breath in and then out. Then breath in again, but this time when you exhale, do it as forcefully as you can. When you have exhaled, suck your stomach in really hard like you're trying to pull it towards the ceiling and hold it there under full tension for 10 seconds.

Release, breathe in once slowly and out again, then in and then out forcefully etc etc...

Try that for 10 reps and do it 3 or so times a week. Worst case is it doesn't work and he looks a bit daft for a few minutes every other day lol

Also - highly neglected are the obliques, but they make all the difference. mine suck *kitten* and I know I need to do something about it because it really is one thing that can totally alter the way someone looks.

Actually do this myself! It's made my stomach tons flatter & was recommend to me by somebody on here, have told him about this also.
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    To quote Tony Horton...

Abbbbbb.... Ripperrrrrrrr... XXXXXXXXXX

LOVE IT