NEED SALAD DRESSING

Options
recipes or new brands to try that are super yummy and low calorie/fat etc..... Anyone?????

Replies

• nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I tried a nice one last night, fish sauce, lime/lemon juice and agave nectar in equal quantities. Yummo.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Some people LOVE Walden Farms products. I think they're TERRIBLE. They are zero carb/calorie and do tons of flavors. Maybe you'll do better with them than I did.

I'm waiting to hear what you get for recommendations too :)
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I tried a nice one last night, fish sauce, lime/lemon juice and agave nectar in equal quantities. Yummo.

hmmmmmm sounds interesting the fish sauce part
  • deniseearheart
    Options
    Some people LOVE Walden Farms products. I think they're TERRIBLE. They are zero carb/calorie and do tons of flavors. Maybe you'll do better with them than I did.

I've never heard of them.. Who sells them??? Also if I try a dressing I don't like I use it as a marinade for my chicken. SOunds weird I know but the yucky flavor always cooks out...
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Raspberry Vinaigrette

1 1/3 cups fresh raspberries or thawed frozen unsweetened raspberries
    1/3 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1 tablespoon cider vinegar
    2 1/2 teaspoons olive or canola oil
    2 teaspoons Dijon mustard

This is so good! I use artificial sweetner instead of sugar and it comes out to be even less calories. Otherwise it's:

Nutritional Analysis: One serving (2 tablespoons salad dressing) equals 37 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 57 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1/2 fruit.
  • deniseearheart
    Options
    Raspberry Vinaigrette

1 1/3 cups fresh raspberries or thawed frozen unsweetened raspberries
    1/3 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1 tablespoon cider vinegar
    2 1/2 teaspoons olive or canola oil
    2 teaspoons Dijon mustard

This is so good! I use artificial sweetner instead of sugar and it comes out to be even less calories. Otherwise it's:

Nutritional Analysis: One serving (2 tablespoons salad dressing) equals 37 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 57 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1/2 fruit.

yum thanks :)
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    bumping anyone have any recipes that are low cal but don't cause me to consume half my day's worth of sodium? note: lactose intolerant so i can't do cream based
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I usually make my own:

1 tsp olive oil
    1 tbspn citrus juice or vinegar (red wine vinegar, balsamic, white vinegar, lemon, lime or orange juice
    1/2 tsp mustard
    pinch of sugar and salt and pepper (to taste)

These amounts are very variable - usually I add the oil first - just a bit - then add everything else till it tastes good. If it's too tangy I might add a splash of white wine, too bland and I'll add lemon juice or vinegar.

Or, if I'm in a super hurry - 1 tbspn each of low fat mayo and red wine vinegar (mixed together) makes a good low cal dressing.
  • amanda6393
    amanda6393 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    A couple of great salad dressings:

Coconut Cream/Milk mixed with a small amount of sweet chilli sauce e.g. Trident.

Balsamic Vinegar (caramelised is best), olive oil, seeded mustard and a touch of maple syrup.

Asian Salad dressing: 1/4 cup of peanut butter, 1/4 cup of soy sauce/tamari, 1/4 cup of honey, 1T apple cider vinegar and 1t fresh/jarred ginger. Mix together until smooth, serves about 4 people for a main ( I use it on my Chicken/chinese cabbage salad and everyone that's tried it loves it).
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options

I've never heard of them.. Who sells them??? Also if I try a dressing I don't like I use it as a marinade for my chicken. SOunds weird I know but the yucky flavor always cooks out...

Cub Foods sells them in my area, otherwise here is their website:

http://waldenfarms.com/

I truly think they're terrible, but some people swear by them. I'm only giving you the site to look at LOL..I'm so NOT endorsing them. I threw mine away!
  • PHLLLY
    PHLLLY Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Ginger Dipping Sauce
    5 ounces sliced onion, rinsed in running water for 15 minutes
    2 ounces ginger, peeled and sliced thinly
    1 lemon, peeled and chopped, juice squeezed
    2 cups soy sauce
    1 cup rice vinegar

Combine all ingredients into a blender and mix well. Stir mixture completely before serving. Ginger sauce may be stored in a plastic or stainless steel container in refrigerator for up to one week.

Asian Vinaigrette
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    1/4 cup peanut oil
    2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
    2 tablespoons water
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh gingerroot
    1 tablespoon chopped celery
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1 1/2 teaspoons tomato paste
    1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
    1 teaspoon lemon juice
    Dash each salt and pepper

Combine all ingredients in blender container or wok bowl of food processor fitted with steel knife; process until almost smooth. Makes six servings. May be kept refrigerated up to one week.

I use the dipping sauce when I'm over calories but under sodium. haha
  • jazilee
    jazilee Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I find with ANY salad I am eating - my favorite trick is to put my dressing into a side dish and dip the tines of my fork into the dressing first THEN pick up the salad. Dressing hits the tongue as it pulls the salad off the fork so I get all of the flavor with a fraction of the calories - I only end up using about 1.5 teaspoons of dressing for a full salad, instead of 2 tablespoons.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I am totally addicted to Kens Steakhouse Lite Caesar. I won't eat salad or veggies without it. I panic if I'm running low.
  • LisaBeateith2012
    LisaBeateith2012 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I use the wishbone salad spritzers. It's a spray and each spray is only 1-2 calories

wish-bone-salad-spritzers-43647.jpg

I know, I know, processed food blah, blah, blah but hey! It tastes good!!! lol
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    raspberry vinaigrette is super tasty and you can get low cal/low sodium low everything bottles!!
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    i use cottage cheese
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Mine are usually variations on a theme. I don't buy dressings as I never seem to finish the bottles - I get bored with them. Add all ingredients to a recycled mustard jar and shake:

"French"
    1 tsp olive oil
    1 tbsp sherry vinegar
    1/2 shallot, finely minced
    1 tsp dijon mustard
    salt & pepper to taste

"Greek"
    1 tsp olive oil
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    1/2 tsp minced garlic
    pinch of dried oregano
    salt & pepper to taste

"Mexican"
    1 tsp olive oil
    1 tbsp lime juice
    1/2 tsp minced garlic
    pinch of cumin
    pinch of paprika
    salt & pepper to taste
  • urthalun
    Options
    I have been doing clean eating (and flexitarian) for months now. What I found for dressings is that they are super easy to make, can be fat-free/chemical-free, and still nutritious. Google around for some with the tag lines: tahini, green goddess lite, and clean. You'll find tons of choices, too many for me to list here. Good luck!

Also? If you buy any of the ones in spritz bottles, keep the container and make new dressings to re-fill.
  • anneliesedykes
    Options
    Bump!