Favorite Oatmeal?

Options
2»

Replies

• lfischer
    lfischer Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yup, old fashioned Quaker's are in the canisters. I get mine at Costco - it is ridiculously cheap. Something like $6 for the equivalent of 4 of those large canisters!
    Look in the bulk section or the baking section for the steel cut oats. Bobs Red Mill has a ton of small containers (plastic bag looking containers) that are usually in a row 3 shelves tall or so. You will probably find a few different oatmeal varieties in this brand.
  • lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I like quakers old fashioned for breakfast, 1/2 cup with 3/4 cup water in the microwave with 1/2 cup frozen blue berries, Nuke it for 1.45 minutes (I like mine thick and chewy) I drizzle 1 tsp of honey on it.
    the other thing I do, this may sound weird, but I have 1/3 cup oatmeal and 1 tablespoon crunchy natural peanut butter and 1 teaspoon honey, mix it all together and eat it. No cooking, I don't know why but I am hooked on it!
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    I hate instant oatmeal, so I put in the 8-10 minutes it takes to make the oldfashioned kind.

I'm partial to Quaker or Red Mill Old Fashioned Rolled oats and have recently been enjoying it like this:

Cook 1/2 cup oat meal in 1 cup boiling water for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. After 5 minutes, dump in a 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries, stir and cover for about three minutes or so, to heat the blueberries and let the oatmeal steam a bit.

Top with a big tablespoon of lowfat greek yogurt mixed with a teaspoon of honey and a pinch of cinnamon.
  • kermiehiho
    kermiehiho Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I usually eat quick-cooking oatmeal (because it's quick), and some stuff I've tried adding that I liked include
    1. bananas (sometimes with a half tablespoon of peanut butter)
    2. apples and cinnamon
    3. raisins and cinnamon
    4. blueberries (or a mix of blueberries, raspberries, blackberries)
    I also plan to try microwaving in some sliced pear and cinnamon sometime.
    I also put oatmeal in hamburgers instead of bread crumbs; it makes the burgers really soft and moist.
    Just updating; I didn't care for the pear in there. I think I'd have liked the pear better by itself.
    :tongue:
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    this is from the HG 200 under 200 cookbook ...Complete & Utter oatmeal insanity

1 packet plain instant oatmeal
    1/4 cup fiber one bran cereal(original)
    1/4 cup light vanilla soymilk
    2 TBSP canned pure pumpkin
    2 Tbsp fat free reddi-whip
    1Tbsp sugar free pancake syrup
    1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    5 sprays I Cant Believe Its Not Butter! spray
    1 no calorie sweetner packet
    dash of salt

Place all ingredients except for the reddi whip in a medium microwave safe bowl .. add 1/4 cup of water and stir. Microwave for 45 seconds, then mix well . Microwave for an additional 30 to 40 seconds . Allow oatmeal to thicken before removing from the microwave. Add the reddi-whip and stir well ... Then enjoy the best bowl of oatmeal you've ever tasted

Makes 1 serving
    Per serving 179 calories 3.5g fat, 367mg sodium, 40g carbs, 11g fiber , 3g sugars and 7g protein
  • bradybrookes
    Options
    Just had to barge into this thread . . . I LOVE OATMEAL and eat it everyday for breakfast – and sometimes if I am looking for a “hot” snack. It’s super filling and good for you. I buy the Old Fashioned oats at Costco . . super cheap. And the steel cut oats at a store that has bulk foods for .44 cents per pound!!! If you have a store that sells bulk, this is usually a cheaper way than the Bob’s Red Mill.
    143992.png
  • maz165
    maz165 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I don't have time to cook breakfast in the mornings, so I keep a box of Kashi's Heart to Heart instant apple cinnamon oatmeal in the my desk drawer at work and have it first thing when I get into the office every day. It's SO DELICIOUS and if you have one of those water coolers or coffee pots that has the hot water spout option, you don't even need to put in the microwave.

It's not as good for you as some of the recipes listed here, but it takes less than a minute to throw together, is very portable, and is certainly not bad for you! I love it. It really has helped me change my eating habits in a major way.