Teachers trying to get fit?

Options
Hello all my fellow teachers! I'm starting to stress about getting all my things ready for the first week of school and finding myself over-eating my calories... stressing in general, and feeling unmotivated! I'm just getting into this routine and I'm worried going back to work will break that up.

Anyone feeling same or have some motivation?

Replies

• knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    i found this whole thing easier to do WHILE i was teaching. my day was more structured. wasn't sitting around the house...didn't have a whole cabinet full of stuff i could eat, could only eat what i took to school with me... knew i had to exercise at a certain time b/c i didn't have so much time to "do it later"... i've always done better, in several areas of my life, with some decent structure. i know there are a ton of teachers here, maybe search the forums for some previous threads.

add me as a friend if you like...it'll be good to have some teacher motivation too.

good luck.
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    i found this whole thing easier to do WHILE i was teaching. my day was more structured. wasn't sitting around the house...didn't have a whole cabinet full of stuff i could eat, could only eat what i took to school with me... knew i had to exercise at a certain time b/c i didn't have so much time to "do it later"... i've always done better, in several areas of my life, with some decent structure. i know there are a ton of teachers here, maybe search the forums for some previous

THIS!

I plan exercise into my day and add it it to my calendar so others can see it and know I'm going.

I'm lucky as my school has a gym I can use too and I have to ask for it to be left open, this commits me.

Good luck, you'll do great!
  • andrewlazenby
    Options
    i found this whole thing easier to do WHILE i was teaching. my day was more structured. wasn't sitting around the house...didn't have a whole cabinet full of stuff i could eat, could only eat what i took to school with me... knew i had to exercise at a certain time b/c i didn't have so much time to "do it later"... i've always done better, in several areas of my life, with some decent structure. i know there are a ton of teachers here, maybe search the forums for some previous threads.

add me as a friend if you like...it'll be good to have some teacher motivation too.

good luck.

This! X10. I am almost looking forward to getting back in my class. I usually ride my bike in 3 times per week (30 miles round trip) and I am typically to busy to just eat for the heck of it....

Feel free to friend me
  • chm2616
    chm2616 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher, too! I do find it easier while the school year is going on to stay on track with things. Something got into me though (this summer) cause I have been doing pretty welll! Also doing P90X and keeping as motivated as I can! My husband and I have been doing the workouts together!

I am a pretty positive and supportive person and anyone can feel free to add! (Please reciprocate support/encouragement!) :smile:
  • Mcampbell75
    Mcampbell75 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher too and was beginning to think the same thing. I think I'm just going to have to plan more. Figure out meals and snacks ahead of time and schedule exercise into my day.
    Feel free to friend me, maybe we can figure it out together (haha).
  • Trojanlc75
    Trojanlc75 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am a high school teacher. I stress eat big time. Usually its during the school year when I get home from school, bone tired and just eat a whole pizza. I was down to 160 at the beginning of the school year last year, by June I was 188. I am going to try to keep off the weight and hopefully lose more this school year. I am looking to walk a 1/2 marathon in May, I am hoping that goal will keep me on track.
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    My bestie is a teacher and she gets up early before the kids and gets her workout done at 5am. I know it's early but she says it helps her get her day off to a good start. Good Luck and feel free to friend me for support. :drinker:
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I am hoping that it will get easier when school starts up again. I started exercising regularly in late May and then started MFP in June, my goal was to get in some type of routine so that when I go back it would be easier.

I do better with structure as well. Bringing my lunch and not being home all day really helps to keep me on track, it's when I get home at night where I falter!

I have a friend at school who is gong to be my fitness buddy. We are going to try to keep each other on the right track and stay motivated!
  • JennyDuffy
    JennyDuffy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher too!

Funny enough i've not thought about the new school year yet. Been relishing the fact that i have a whole six weeks off. I seem to be able to do more exercise now I'm on holidays and enjoy it more as a result. I don't feel the pressure of having to get it done within a time window due to deadlines with school work and marking etc. However I'm sure in the coming weeks it will dawn on me that I have a lot of planning to do for September 3rd! But if anything the exercise I'm doing during the day has given me a ton more energy and I seem wide awake all the time instead of like the school year. hoping it keeps going on into September and beyond so i'm no longer crashing out at 9:30pm every night! ha!

I agree with the other posts about needing structure though and as most of us teachers, I plan what i'll do the day before. i find the best stuff for me when working though is doing Jillian Michaels DVDs as they are only 20 mins, but high intensity, so can fit it around all the work I have to do too! not only that but the endorphins I'm clearly living off right now seem to help with the stress.
  • 1971Rebecca
    Options
    I am an elementary teacher and really thought that my progress would be great this summer without the daily stress and routine of the school day etc. I found out that I need those to stay on track. I lost way more weight during the school year than then this summer. I actually miss the positive strength I felt when I walked past the teacher's lounge avoiding the sweet treats sitting all over the tables!
  • HornsUT32
    HornsUT32 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I am a teacher, and I find it SO much easier during the school year. I limit what I eat and know exactly when I need to exercise. Not to mention, as a teacher we don't really have time to sit during the day. We are on our feet for most of it, at least as a middle school or high school teacher. I am sure it is the same for an elementary teacher too. All I know is that for the last 4 summers I have gained weight, but not this summer! I have only lost about 7 pounds, but I kept it off and didn't gain, so that is a major success for me!

The first few weeks of a new year are always hard, especially since our bodies are used to sitting around and doing nothing productive for a few months haha. I am even looking in to natural energy supplements to help me get through it. But once that third or fourth week hits, I am full stride, and this weight loss thing is so much easier.

I have posted about this before though, and find that teachers either prefer the summer or the school year for weight loss. I did find that about 75% of us prefered the school year though haha.
  • jaena4
    jaena4 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher too and add me to the list of those who find it easier to keep track during the school year. Last year I started working out during the day at my school's gym and that was wonderful. Although sometimes I'm ravenous when I finally get home, I try to keep quick but healthy options on hand.

Feel free to add me - I'd definitely like to have more teacher friends!
  • jcreynolds98
    jcreynolds98 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I teach high school science and hope that the eating thing will be better when school starts because I will not be sitting around the house with temptations all around. I have to drive 1 hour and 20 minutes one way to get to work so we leave the house by 6am every morning. It is usually 5:30 or 6:00pm when we finally get home as I have to wait on my husband to get off work most days. (we ride together and I drop him off at his office then head to school). Exercising is going to be the difficult thing for me. I can't get up at 4am to work out after staying up until midnight or 1:00am working on stuff. I always feel overwhelmed when I get home thanks to cooking, cleaning up, laundry, and of course stuff for school.
  • valz2000
    valz2000 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I teach at a 7-12 school ( personally I teach 7,9,10). I find it so much easier to stay on track during the school year. I am actually really looking forward to getting back to my schedule and routine. Feel free to add me.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    The key for me during the school year is that I have a schedule that I stick to pretty consistently. I bring my gym clothes to work with me, and change at the school before I leave. If it's a gym day, I leave work and go straight to the gym. If its a run day, I go home, unload the car, and go straight for my run. No stopping to sit down because then I'm less motivated to get back up again.

That being said, I'm going to miss the flexibility and added time I have during the summer. I do teach summer school, but it's only part time 3 days a week, and I bring home much less work during the school year. I love that on my days off I can fit in both a morning and evening workout, but I also have much more time during the week to actually let my body rest a bit. I think that can be the hardest part of the school year - between work, workouts, and daily life requirements, there's little time for the body to actually rest and relax.
  • momof4ts
    momof4ts Posts: 118
    Options
    Thank you for posting this question! It was the end of the year pic that got me serious about HEALTHY lifestyle and i started MAY 30th its been a great 2 months! But in the back of my mind i have wondered how i can do it during the school year! I have 35 more pounds to lose! All of your posts have helped me so much! I am encouraged to getup at 5 and get it done! Then on with the day! I so want to KEEP IT UP!! I have to!
  • iammegs
    iammegs Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm really intrigued by the teachers who find the school year easier in terms of getting fit.

I was so proud of myself Spring 2011: I lost 30 pounds and even kept it off all summer! Then I moved, the school year started, and I felt like I didn't even have a chance to figure out eating patterns and the like. I also live in South Texas, and my school, coworkers and students frequently bring the most unhealthy - but delicious - staff meals and treats. I gained 20 of those hard-fought 30 back!

So while my first year's down, I still need first-year teacher tips in terms of how to live! Open to any motivating friendships, but especially from knowledgeable teachers. :) Let me see how you do it!