danikiz
danikiz Posts: 12 Member
How do you do it? Please assist.

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    How do you do it? Please assist.

it is impossible to 100% give up carbs--unless you are going to eat nothing but meat and fat--but it is totally possible to reduce them drastically.

I have been eating lowER carb for 3 months now, and will probably continue to do so for another 3 months...

For breakfast I eat 2 eggs, 2 slices of soy bacon...then sometimes 1/2 cup full fat cottage cheese, and up to 1 cup of blackberries.

For lunch I eat a huge salad--romaine, cucumbers, cheese, 2-4oz of shaved turkey...sometimes up to 1/2 an avocado.

For dinner I eat a portion of whatever I make for the family--the other night I had oven baked chicken and green beans. Another night I had chicken sausage and hash browns...

Because my goal is to eat ~100g net ( total carbs minus fiber) you will see that I have things like mini ice cream bars or frozen fruit popsicles in my diary--it is HOT here, and I don't want to sit here and watch the rest of the family get treats and not have one myself. It's all about fitting in enough treats that you don't feel deprived...
  • rocknrollcliche
    Options
    Hi guys,

I am quite new to the message board side of things here but thought id give it a shot. Im needing help with a carb issue also. Im conditioned to wanting potatoes or pasta etc with every meal. Eg: chicken breast, salad and i feel i NEED a jacket potato or something similar. Does anyone have any ideas of what to replace this with? Just salad/meat on its own doesnt seem to be filling enough. Same with pasta, bread etc. Always want carbs but i struggle to find things to replace them. Sick of eating salad for lunch every day! Thanks :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    just have two portions of vegetables with the meat, and no potato / pasta. Salad is too watery for me too, with little nutrient content.

So green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, leeks, etc to accompany the protein.
  • rocknrollcliche
    Options
    So calories- wise is it ok to have twice as much green veg just to avoid the potatoes? sometimes my plate has more than 3 varieties of veg and i think im eating too much.
  • sarahrbraun
    Options
    some veggies have a lower carb count than others...if you have a large portion of lower carb veggies you are more likely to feel full without taking in a TON of calories. This GI ( glycemic index) chart may be of some use to both of you--you want to eat mostly fruits and veggies marked "low"

http://www.weightlossforall.com/glyemic-list-fruits-vegs.htm

if you look, you'll see that carrots have FOUR TIMES the carbs of cauliflower...so you can eat 1/4 cup of carrots OR 1 cup of cauliflower. Which do you think is more filling?
  • tjk71
    tjk71 Posts: 167
    Options
    You can boil & mash cauliflower like mash potatoes.....(I know not the same but its close enough) add a little butter.
  • jlynn6810
    jlynn6810 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You can boil & mash cauliflower like mash potatoes.....(I know not the same but its close enough) add a little butter.
    I actually just saw a recipe for the faux mashed potatoes using boiled cauliflower then you add a wedge or 2 of the low calorie laughing cow cheese wedges and some salt and pepper...and mash it all up. I plan to try it tomorrow! :smile:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    A good way to start is to half the carb-heavy items you used to eat - so have one slice of toast instead of 2, a smaller postion of pasta, etc.

Another good tip is to record everything you eat, and then analyse it to see where your big carb-culprits are.

I aim to stick around 100g carbs per day.

For breakfast I eat eggs, mostly. Sometimes yoghurt. For lunch I'll have a soup or salad. Dinner will be fish or meat with loads of veg, and maybe a small bit of pasta, couscous, etc
  • rocknrollcliche
    Options
    some veggies have a lower carb count than others...if you have a large portion of lower carb veggies you are more likely to feel full without taking in a TON of calories. This GI ( glycemic index) chart may be of some use to both of you--you want to eat mostly fruits and veggies marked "low"

if you look, you'll see that carrots have FOUR TIMES the carbs of cauliflower...so you can eat 1/4 cup of carrots OR 1 cup of cauliflower. Which do you think is more filling?

Wow I didnt realise carrotts were so carby. I ate a mountain of them last night! haha oops! thanks for that chart, ill certainly look at that and start planning my meals better.

When you guys have eggs for breakfast, do you just eat them on their own? I always feel the need for toast or something similar
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    When you guys have eggs for breakfast, do you just eat them on their own? I always feel the need for toast or something similar

Its a bit weird at first. For example I always had eggs with hot buttered toast with lashings of ketchup or brown sauce. Now I would just have 3/4 egg whites and 1 yolk and some turkey ham.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    My usual egg breakfast is a microwave scramble. I'll soften some sliced mushrooms and spinach in a bowl for 30 seconds, then add 1 whole egg and a good glug of egg whites. Into the micro for 30 seconds, stir, maybe add some chopped ham or grated cheese at this stage, back in for another 30 seconds, or until set.

Or a soft boiled egg is lovely with asparagus spears to dip into it instead of toast soldiers.
  • rocknrollcliche
    Options
    My usual egg breakfast is a microwave scramble. I'll soften some sliced mushrooms and spinach in a bowl for 30 seconds, then add 1 whole egg and a good glug of egg whites. Into the micro for 30 seconds, stir, maybe add some chopped ham or grated cheese at this stage, back in for another 30 seconds, or until set.

Or a soft boiled egg is lovely with asparagus spears to dip into it instead of toast soldiers.

thanks for the advice guys. Is it strange eating just the egg whites? does it taste much different?
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    A good way to start is to half the carb-heavy items you used to eat - so have one slice of toast instead of 2, a smaller postion of pasta, etc.

Another good tip is to record everything you eat, and then analyse it to see where your big carb-culprits are.

I aim to stick around 100g carbs per day.

For breakfast I eat eggs, mostly. Sometimes yoghurt. For lunch I'll have a soup or salad. Dinner will be fish or meat with loads of veg, and maybe a small bit of pasta, couscous, etc

Thanks for the 1/2 tip! I will try that!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Um, I don't. Why would anyone want to do that?
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I am a cronic low carber. LOW not NO. During the week (Sunday 7pm to Friday Noon) I do not eat bread, cereal, crackers, rice, pasta, etc. I do eat yogurt (lots of carbs in dairy products) veggies and fruits. I set my goal to be 35% of my calories from carbs. On the weekends (Friday Noon to Sunday 7pm) I relax the restriction and allow myself something from my self restricted list at one meal per day (so if I go out for lunch and have half a sandwhich I'm done for Friday). I try to keep my carbs to 40% on those days. Most of my carbs come from dairy products. The key is planning. If I don't plan its more difficult. For example, today I'm going out for dinner so I know that means its a light lunch no grains. I also know where we're going tonight so I checked the website for the menu and I'm planning what I'll eat. I try to have it figured out before I get there and don't even look at the menu so I'm not tempted.

Its a life style. It works for some. Not for others. When you first start out you can experience carb withdrawal. Not fun but it only lasts a few days. Good luck.
  • Pixie_star1234
    Pixie_star1234 Posts: 55 Member
    Options

OMG! I love you for this tip! Thank you!
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    So calories- wise is it ok to have twice as much green veg just to avoid the potatoes? sometimes my plate has more than 3 varieties of veg and i think im eating too much.

You're better off to eat more veggies and less carbs. I am diabetic and have no blood sugar problems eating this way. Eat carbs, and I am in big trouble.
  • sarahrbraun
    Options

Wow I didnt realise carrotts were so carby. I ate a mountain of them last night! haha oops! thanks for that chart, ill certainly look at that and start planning my meals better.

my go-to breakfast is 2 whole eggs, 2 slices of soy bacon....sometimes I will have it wrapped in a low carb/high fiber tortilla, or i will have some full fat cottage cheese and/or blackberries. it's usually about 350 calories and under 12 net carbs. Fiber varies depending on what I eat. People are amazed when they see me eat a huge plate of food since I am "dieting"
  • JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Um, I don't. Why would anyone want to do that?

I was just thinking the same thing... Carb is not your enemy, just stick to complex carbs and manage your grams consumed... Carbs are your best source of energy and can be your friend in the weight loss journey! The drastic change you see at first in the scale is water loss instead of fat loss since carbs (glycogen) hold on to water.
  • 1jlazymom
    1jlazymom Posts: 197 Member
    Options

This is great if you add different seasonings to it like a little roasted garlic or Mrs. Dash. My family doesn't seem to mind the swap of cauliflower instead of the potatoe. Considering we are of German/Hungarian background and 3 things have always been guaranteed at meal times bread, potatoes and beer.