How do you eat healthy on a budget?

Options
I am wanting to eat better (not doing bad really) but just am not sure how to go about it. My kids (6 & 3) and husband are not really interested in the whole fruits and veggies thing. How can I eat better without having to buy seperate foods for myself and the rest of the family on a budget? I get $225 a month for food share and that lasts us 2 weeks and then we buy the rest ourselves for the last two weeks. I already plan out our dinners and buy the ingredients for those. My meal plans usually consist of Mon, Wed, Fri some kind of chicken dish, tue, thur, & sat some kind of hamburger dish and sundays are a whatever we have day.

Replies

• DawnMarieMomofTwo
    DawnMarieMomofTwo Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i really havent had to change by budget just stopped buying junk foods and started getting veggies and fruits instead, it all kind of avg out in the long run.
  • worshipmom
    Options
    We don't buy junk. The occasional ice cream and that is it. I want to shop at farmers markets but they don't have any fruit right now in my area at least. I would like to cut out the processed food but just am not sure where to start.
    i really havent had to change by budget just stopped buying junk foods and started getting veggies and fruits instead, it all kind of avg out in the long run.
  • sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    you could try making more from scratch. i make my own yogurt takes only milk and a starter but you can maintain a mother culture so that is only needed the first time. my hubby and kids love pizza so we buy crust (0.57 for a package) and then top it ourselves. you could top half with burger or peperonie for your hubby and kids and half with veggies (squash actually tastes good on pizza) or put veggies on all of it so they get some to but add meat to their part of the pizza.

if you have room in your freezer you could buy an extra loaf or two of bread when it's on sale and freeze it.

my oldest (almost 3) is not big on the fruits and veggies that are in season now. but i make his plate and that's what we are having (i won't serve him something i know he absolutly does not like like strawberries). he usally gives me some grief about having to eat the cucumber slices or blueberries and if he does i cover them and when he is hungry latter he can have them. a child that young won't starve themselves. it's healthy for him and it's in season which means it cost me almost nothing at the farmers market.

i do what you do with a menu and list. and have found that as i switched to healthy it really didn't change my grocery bill we just ended up with less leftovers because i did not want to throw food away so i would prepare less and thus buy a smaller quantity. i am a vegetairan and we have a freezer full of deermeat so we have to budget very little for meat in our grocery bill.

you could have more vegan dinners. it won't hurt anyone and this is the time of year to do it with all the produce in season. or if it fits into your budget buy meat in bulk if you don't already. it is expensive the first purchase but will end up saving you for the month.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options

Agreed... I'm a college student on a pretty strict budget. Food isn't really ever cheap in my eyes, no matter if it's a bag of chips, or a bag of fruit. But honestly, I rather pay 50 cents for a pound of bananas than $4 for a bag of chips. I've noticed that fresh foods are cheaper than prepared and processed foods... at least where I am. I've actually been saving money.
  • worshipmom
    Options
    I make all our meals from scratch pretty much. I buy all the ingredients I need and then make the meal at home. We make our own pizza crust, when we have pizza. I have been thinking about incorporating more meatless meals but am jsut unsure how to go about doing it after always having a meat with dinner.
    you could try making more from scratch. i make my own yogurt takes only milk and a starter but you can maintain a mother culture so that is only needed the first time. my hubby and kids love pizza so we buy crust (0.57 for a package) and then top it ourselves. you could top half with burger or peperonie for your hubby and kids and half with veggies (squash actually tastes good on pizza) or put veggies on all of it so they get some to but add meat to their part of the pizza.

if you have room in your freezer you could buy an extra loaf or two of bread when it's on sale and freeze it.

my oldest (almost 3) is not big on the fruits and veggies that are in season now. but i make his plate and that's what we are having (i won't serve him something i know he absolutly does not like like strawberries). he usally gives me some grief about having to eat the cucumber slices or blueberries and if he does i cover them and when he is hungry latter he can have them. a child that young won't starve themselves. it's healthy for him and it's in season which means it cost me almost nothing at the farmers market.

i do what you do with a menu and list. and have found that as i switched to healthy it really didn't change my grocery bill we just ended up with less leftovers because i did not want to throw food away so i would prepare less and thus buy a smaller quantity. i am a vegetairan and we have a freezer full of deermeat so we have to budget very little for meat in our grocery bill.

you could have more vegan dinners. it won't hurt anyone and this is the time of year to do it with all the produce in season. or if it fits into your budget buy meat in bulk if you don't already. it is expensive the first purchase but will end up saving you for the month.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    What kind of food do you normally cook? There are cuisines that lend themselves easily to being meatless; like Indian, Japanese and Latin based dishes.
  • sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    i woulld start out replacing one meal as meatless do that a couple of weeks then try 2 meals a week for a few weeks then try 3 etc....as far as you can/want to go.

i make a lot of "meat" dishes just leave the meat out.. wouldn't work with taco's but works good with bakes or even pasta dishes. i think a bake or pasta dish meatless would be best to start your family out with. otherwise when i do a meatless meal veggies like squash curretly would be the "main" part of it and then some fruit and/or yogurt and maybe a second veggie.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    i woulld start out replacing one meal as meatless do that a couple of weeks then try 2 meals a week for a few weeks then try 3 etc....as far as you can/want to go.

i make a lot of "meat" dishes just leave the meat out.. wouldn't work with taco's but works good with bakes or even pasta dishes. i think a bake or pasta dish meatless would be best to start your family out with. otherwise when i do a meatless meal veggies like squash curretly would be the "main" part of it and then some fruit and/or yogurt and maybe a second veggie.

You can totally make meatless tacos! http://www.loveandlemons.com/2012/05/23/black-bean-tacos-zucchini-avocado-salsa/
  • Damiilla
    Damiilla Posts: 66
    Options
    Theres tons of ways to hide the flavour of veggies if thats what you family is concerned about. I cook for my boyfriend and I, usually I'll eat most things raw, but I found he will eat most things swimming in cheese. :p
  • worshipmom
    Options
    That sounds like it might work. Thank you for the suggestion!

• worshipmom
    Options
    That is a good suggestion, thanks!
    Theres tons of ways to hide the flavour of veggies if thats what you family is concerned about. I cook for my boyfriend and I, usually I'll eat most things raw, but I found he will eat most things swimming in cheese. :p
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    shop at farmers markets for fresh goods. they are usually cheaper than at grocery stores - plus they're local which is even better!
  • worshipmom
    Options
    I make casseroles, tacos, spaghetti, chix legs, chix breasts. I used Campbellskitchen.com for a lot of my meals.
    What kind of food do you normally cook? There are cuisines that lend themselves easily to being meatless; like Indian, Japanese and Latin based dishes.
  • worshipmom
    Options
    I never know what to get when I go to Framers markets. And the ones around here only have veggies, I was really hoping to find one with fruits. And I am such a ditz cuz I keep forgetting to go to the one right in town during the summer.
    shop at farmers markets for fresh goods. they are usually cheaper than at grocery stores - plus they're local which is even better!
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    The suggestions about the gradual transitions are smart. It seems like you're making some awesome homemade dinners-- what about finding ways to make them healthier? In pizza, use sprouted or whole wheat flour. In lasagna, mix in some well-drained and defrosted frozen spinach into the ricotta and shred zucchini and carrots to add to the sauce. Ditto for meatloaf, which is magic for hiding veggies. Bake sweet potato fries (super affordable!). Also, if the meals are generally healthy, what about starting with healthy snacks? My fiance would probably pick chips over veggies, but if I put a plate of veggies in front of him with guacamole, he'll eat it.

I hope this helps! I love to talk food, so message whenever. Best of luck <3
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I'm honestly not trying to be controversial but at 6 and 3 they shouldn't really have a say as such in the dinners and in fact this is a perfect time to start getting them into healthier eating, fruits and veg. There are lots of ways to disguise healthier foods at first so they'll eat it. SkinnyTaste has a lot of great recipes, not sure about the 'budget' aspect because I actually find it's cheaper to eat healthy foods than processed.
  • melb2003
    melb2003 Posts: 198
    Options
    I'm on a budget too but luckily it is just my husband and I. What I did was I got a membership to our local bulk store, Sam's Club, and the first time I went there I looked at everything I would like to start eating and then I started comparing prices to Walmart, Save a lot, etc. After a few weeks of really paying attention to prices, I learned what things are cheapest to buy where especially when I have a budget to work with. I learned that I should buy all my meat at Sam's club. I spend about $50 a month on meat but that is the whole month's worth. I also buy my bulk veggies at Sam's Club, as well as the bulk boxes of the Fiber One bars for breakfast and a healthy snack. My side dishes, and other small healthy snack stuff though, I learn were cheaper at Save a lot and Walmart. Luckily all three stores are within 5 miles of each other, so not too much extra driving involved. The husband and I only eat out once a week, and I cook all the rest of the week and we both bring our own lunch to work everyday. It's difficult trying to balance everything, but it's working for now.

I'm curious to see what everyone else posts as help.
  • gemmalouise85
    gemmalouise85 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    i buy all my veg frozen and lasts a month (we do main shopping monthly.
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Dried beans are cheap and healthy. I buy them and cook 1-2 pounds at time in the slowcooker. We eat them for a day or two and freeze the rest in portions that are easy to take out and heat up for another meal later.

We love to fix spicy black beans and serve them over brown rice that's been cooked with chicken broth (I use bouillon cubes) and a can of rotel. Then we top with a little cheese, fresh peppers, and cilantro. It's cheap, filling, and healthy! Our other favorites are pintos & great northern...it's not unusual for us to have beans, mustard greens (a new acquired taste of mine), and potatoes or another veggie for a meal once a month or so.

Someone else mentioned skinnytaste.com. That's my very favorite recipe site! laaloosh.com also has some good ones. Both are weight watchers friendly, so they are low-fat/low-calorie.
  • shl000
    shl000 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Get your grains, nuts, dried fruits in bulk. Way cheaper than pre-packaged.

Stock up on in-season, hardy green vegetables when they're cheap and keep them frozen. Like kale, collards, spinach, chard, etc. Wash, chop them up, put in a tupperware or zip loc and just put it in the freezer. You won't lose much nutrition, if at all, and this way you'll always have something quick to throw in the pan.

Try using hardier greens like kale and collards in place of typical salad greens. They flavors will be the same, but it lasts longer- at least 2~3 days, so you can make a lot at once to save time.

Buy peaches and berries when they're in season, and again, keep them frozen and use for smoothies or pie filling. Kids love it.

If you incorporate the vegetables in with meat- like in stir fry or casserole dish, maybe the children won't be as opposed to it. Just a thought.

This blog is great for health conscious recipes- http://101cookbooks.com/

Also, I'm a member of my local CSA (community supported agriculture) and it's the best financial decision we've made. Basically we pay a small sum of money in advance for a weekly share of farm-fresh vegetables and fruits for a season, for a fraction of a price you would pay retail. Plus, everything is farm-fresh, and you know exactly where your food comes from. There's a CSA in pretty much every city, so you should look into it. Some even offer eggs, flowers, and meat.

Hope this helps!