Anyone know any low cal family meals

Options
gemgirlred
gemgirlred Posts: 31 Member
Something that actually tastes good. I have to please my picky husband who says all health food tastes horrible and my kids

Replies

• jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    My usual go-to is marinated grilled chicken with two sides. Sounds boring I know, but what makes it interesting is the details. When I marinade the chicken in Italian dressing, my picky husband loves it. (who knew?) 30 minutes is usually long enough.

Sides- well, my kids are picky, too. Between the two of them they like corn, broccoli, mashed potatoes and green beans. No, they don't both like all. So usually I make 1 green side and one not out of those items. Steamed usually works and have lime juice on the side. If that's too boring, a good balsamic broccoli salad can be more interesting.

there's tons of ways to bake chicken and keep it interesting. Look around some online sites for more recipes.
  • ShariBerie
    Options
    Check out skinnytaste.com. Lots of great stuff on there. My BF is the same way about "diet" food but I just made the lemon oregano chicken with feta from that site the other night and he said it was really good and asked me to make it again!
  • JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Check out skinnytaste.com. Lots of great stuff on there. My BF is the same way about "diet" food but I just made the lemon oregano chicken with feta from that site the other night and he said it was really good and asked me to make it again!

ditto, this is what I use.
  • ChappyEight
    ChappyEight Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Lots of awesome stuff at http://iowagirleats.com as well.

You should also look at this MFP post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/683419-websites-like-skinny-taste
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

DITTO!! My family LOVES the meals I make from there.
  • RamblingRo
    RamblingRo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yep, skinnytaste! She has a mac & cheese recipe that my family actually likes. There's spinach in it and I don't even have to leave it out even though neither my hubby or oldest like spinach.
  • mama2mila
    Options
    My DH is the same..... so I've resorted to making his favorites, just tweaking them. I use skinnytaste a lot too, but we mostly eat clean. He LOVES the chicken taco chilli in the crockpot. He asks for it a lot! We do a lot of stir-fries, do breakfast for dinner one night a week, make homemade pizza, have lots of salads. He's been losing weight a little now too :)
  • nlehmann
    nlehmann Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I use the healthy living section of the kraftreceipes.com website. I have had a lot of luck.
  • amanda3588
    amanda3588 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of skinnytaste.com but I recently discovered emilybites.com and skinnykitchen.com
  • metzlerjn
    metzlerjn Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My big kick right now is Whole Wheat Penne with Healthy Cream of Mushroom soup (i use water, not milk), veggies (I normally use broccoli and carrots) and chicken. When I portion it out, 2 cups (which is a very decent size) ends up being about 300-400 calories. I also season it with lots of pepper and garlic.

Would like to add, its not two cups of just pasta, that includes the chicken and veggies mixed in.
  • gemgirlred
    gemgirlred Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Crazy but he is worse than my kids when it comes to food.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I make all my family meals from either Skinnytaste, Cooking Light or Eating Well. Check out their websites!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    search through the forums for the websites like skinny taste.
    My favorites are eatingwell.com, 3fatchicks, emilybites, pickypalate. There are SO many out there though. Spark has alot so does all recipes you just have to search the healthy options.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    We did BBQ pulled turkey sandwiches last night. We had broccoli on the side. Of course, we added extra BBQ sauce that upped the cals a bit, but still was only 380/serving for the sandwiches. I served it with steamed broccoli on the side, not a normal BBQ side, but our family likes broccoli.
  • amohamy
    amohamy Posts: 30
    Options
    Check out skinnytaste.com. Lots of great stuff on there.

Checked out skinnytaste.com as suggested, some great looking recipes on there! Can't wait to try some :)
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    A lot of families would be a great protein source, lol. My daughter especially, extremely low carb! Sorry, that title just got me giggling.

My hubby and daughter both love broiled chicken, with either a super sharp cheese or bbq sauce drizzled over it. They'd live on the stuff and it's super low cal AND high protein :)