Serious "Lifting" w/o a Gym

Options
OK, so I've always known that strength training is important for overall health/looking good while losing weight (and after). After being here at MFP for about 1.5 yrs, I'm even more convinced than ever. :smile:

I'm looking for some exercise advice. Here's where I"m at - I'm 5'6", 32 yrs, sitting at 184 lbs. Been "stuck" at 180-186 for a year now (since Aug 2011). Now, not all of that time has been active "loss" mode (part of it I was just focusing on maintaining), but it's still getting old.

I think I probably need to lift more, but I can't afford to go to a gym. Up until now, I've been doing some combo of the following each week (whatever I feel like at the time): running, Zumba, 30DS, Turbo Jam. I also just picked up RIpped in 30. I have 2, 3, and 5 lb hand weights I use for the 30DS and RippedIn30 DVDs.

Is this still too much cardio? At a BMI of 29, I still have a lot of fat to lose, but I want to be toning while I do it. Are the JM DVDs going to be effective enough strength training? I know it's not crossfit, but I just want to get down below a size 14 and look tighter :smile:

Thoughts? If I SHOULD be lifting/strength training more, I need suggestions! I tried just finding some body weight exercises/workouts online, but there's SO much out there, I'm not sure where to go with that. Tips?

Replies

• DeterminedToLoseWeight
    Options
    Bump!!! I am 29 yrs old, 5'3" and weigh 145 ... I want to lose about 10 more pounds, but I also want to tone up my stomach area. It seems to be the worst right now. Anyone have any stomach exercises that I could do. Keep in mind I do have a bad back, so that does limit me on some stomach exercises I can do!!!

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    The center of every GOOD weight lifting program is barbell squats, deadlift, overhead press, and bench. Most of which can be difficult to do at home, without some serious equipment.

For now, I'd suggest looking into 'You are your own gym.' There's a $2 smartphone app. I like to do these routines when I can't get to the gym.

Just keep in mind, you can do a thousand air squats, and it won't do as much for you strength-wise as a few barbell squats - but it's still damn good exercise.
  • missfelicia6
    missfelicia6 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Good question, I have 5 pound weights at home too, and I need guidance on how to build some serious muscle.

I can't get to a gym either.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    The center of every GOOD weight lifting program is barbell squats, deadlift, overhead press, and bench. Most of which can be difficult to do at home, without some serious equipment.

For now, I'd suggest looking into 'You are your own gym.' There's a $2 smartphone app. I like to do these routines when I can't get to the gym.

Just keep in mind, you can do a thousand air squats, and it won't do as much for you strength-wise as a few barbell squats - but it's still damn good exercise.

You can do these at home, browse craiglist for some cheap, heavy dumbells or a weight set.

Pick up the New Rules of Weightlifting for Women. I've been able to do most of those exercises at home with some second hand equipment I picked up in a yard sale.
  • shesapear
    shesapear Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The nike app has some good body weight moves also try the muscleandstrength.com website they have ton of weight training programs and demo on how to do them correctly and tips on form. You will need to eventually purchase higher weights or a bench though.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    BTW, you aren't going to be "toning" anything with 5 lb weights, unless you're a newbie. Lift heavy if you want to see a dramatic difference.
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Look into adustable dumbells...these are the ones you can change the weights on by moving a little knob on the barbell while it's in the cradle. You can probably pick up a used set off craigs list for not too much money. Then get a used bench from craigslist and lat tower or chin up bar.....you'll have pretty much everything you need to do some serious weight lifting.
  • Evarell
    Evarell Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Look into adustable dumbells...these are the ones you can change the weights on by moving a little knob on the barbell while it's in the cradle. You can probably pick up a used set off craigs list for not too much money. Then get a used bench from craigslist and lat tower or chin up bar.....you'll have pretty much everything you need to do some serious weight lifting.

I've been wondering how well these adjustable dumbells work-- have you (or anyone here) tried them? Do they shift and rattle while you're lifting? Seems like that would be distracting, at the least.
  • awill1122
    Options
    Almost anything you can do at a gym, you can do at home. You can do all the "big" moves like bench presses, squats, deadlifts, etc. with dumbbells. A lot of people prefer dumbbells because it requires more muscle control to use them so you use more muscles doing the same exercises than you would by using barbells. You can get some pretty cheap adjustable dumbbell sets. I use the Cap Barbell 40-pound Dumbbell Set. It's only $40 and you get two adjustable weights up to 20 lbs. That is probably plenty for you to start out with and when it gets to be too light, you can buy some extra weight plates. It's a lot cheaper than a gym membership or spending $1000 on a full set of dumbbells.

There are a lot of books out there about lifting for beginners, just go on amazon and browse for some highly rated ones.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I started with a cheapie adjustable set of dumbells and barbell, but the barbell is limited to 50kg, so have just upgraded to a more serious one. Try your local 2nd hand things, ebay/craigslist, whatever is there for you. People are always selling that kind of stuff. You might even get lucky with a weight bench too. Mine doubles as a squat rack because it has the supports at one end.

It's a lot of gear, but it can be had cheap.
  • awill1122
    Options
    I use adjustable dumbbells that are just basically mini barbells, you put the plates on and screw on an end cap. They aren't as convenient as some of the other ones because you have to take weights on and off as opposed to just turning a dial, but in my opinion they are much safer. I've read too many horror stories about the Bowflex SelectTech in particular about them breaking and weights falling off during use, sometimes landing on someone's head or face.
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    Options

I've been wondering how well these adjustable dumbells work-- have you (or anyone here) tried them? Do they shift and rattle while you're lifting? Seems like that would be distracting, at the least.

I've only played around with them in the store. I have more traditional weights which I have had for a long time. I wish I had just bought the adjustable dumbells, as they seem to be better suited to what I do (circuit type of training....as in P90x or JM dvd's).
    The adjustable ones also take up less space. There are different ones on the market, and some are better than others.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I think I'm at around $175 invested in my set-up. I haunted Craigslist and my local used fitness equipment store and currently have a heavy adjustable bench with separate bar rack that I can adjust up to use as a squat rack and an oly bar and weights totalling 230lbs. I'm going to have to buy a couple more plates in the next week or two as my deadlifts are going to exceed what I have right now but a pair of 45lb plates can be found for $30 to $60 if I look around. 320 pounds is going to last me a long time. After I move in the next couple of weeks (I hope) I'm going to save up for a cage but the rack I have now will hold what I can squat for a good while longer.

Your 5lb weights aren't going to do anything for building or strengthening. I would imagine that you routinely carry more than 5lbs of stuff every day already. To build muscle/strength you need to push your muscles harder than they currently get pushed to stimulate a need for growth. Doing enough reps with 5lbs to work your muscles is only going to add endurance, not strength or mass.

ETA: I also have a pair of dumbbell handles I got used for about $6. I have a pair of 10lb, 5lb and 2.5lb plates for each of them and I can get more plates to make them as heavy as I want. If I can't find plates cheaper on Craigslist my local store sells used plates for 59cents a pound.
  • amanda8o
    amanda8o Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    also been wondering this I've been doing it with 5lb weights but would like to see more results has anyone tried the Les Mills Pump? Was kind of thinking of trying that?
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Decent starting programs for lifting center around large compound moves such as a the squat and dead lift and most prescribe using a bar (Olympic size/weight if possible).

So if you wanted to follow one of these programs (such as Starting Strength or Strong Lifts 5x5) you would as a minimum need:

Bar, weights, bench and a rack for the bench presses.

But, if/when you progressed you would soon find that the safety aspect of squatting alone at home mean that a power-cage was required.

This kit is not cheap and not something that you can pack away after a session.

I bought second hand from eBay for about £600 (about $800-$900?)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    First, if you're getting tired of being at the same weight, adjust your diet, not your exercise and see what happens. Can exercise make a difference? Sure, but more than likely the issue is diet, not exercise.

But to your question...
    Some smart shopping on craig's list can get you a quality home gym for the cost of a gym membership. A flat bench, a squat rack, a bar and some plates is all you need. Then get friendly with your favorite 5x5 program.

If you don't have the space or money, get creative. 5gallon jugs of water, bags of sand, cinder blocks all work well. Resistance bands and body weight can work well for some muscle groups.
  • tbellamy1
    tbellamy1 Posts: 353
    Options
    I do Cathe DVD's. Im doing Muscle Max right now and I love it. Check out carhe.com and watch ome of her previews and I think she has downloads for about $7 and I also bout a 100 lb weight set of of amazon for $165 includine shipping. Also there is a store called "plasy it again sports" that sells used equipment and also craigslist.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I got a bench & barbell with 80 pounds of weights at Sears for about a hundred bucks. I'll get more plates when I need them. Probably could have found it cheaper if I scoured Craigslist, flea markets and yard sales, but every Craigslist listing I saw was over an hour away, so any money I might have saved would have been burned up in gas driving there and back. :grumble:

Plus buying it new means I got a fantastic box for he cats to play in. :happy:
  • Healthymom207
    Healthymom207 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Well lifting light weights like that are only going to help tone or preserve what muscle you do have. Doing too much cardio can eat into your muscles, so make sure your eating enough protein. I don't go to the gym, but I do Chalean Extreme at home, currently lifting 10,15,20lb dumbbells....need some 30's though. I would go buy heavier weights and look up exercises online that you can do with them, check craiglists you might find weight equipment on there for a reasonable price. For me I feel that heavier is better, heavier weights less reps.
  • PrfctGdess
    PrfctGdess Posts: 257
    Options
    BTW, you aren't going to be "toning" anything with 5 lb weights, unless you're a newbie. Lift heavy if you want to see a dramatic difference.

Actually, I knew this and I totally agree - hence why I'm here looking for tips :smile: I've actually not used the 2s but maybe once, and I only use the 3s and 5s for the DVDs...I figure using those is better than doing them without any weight. What I wasn't sure about was if the 30DS, RippedIn30, etc DVDs were actually going to get me much of anywhere. I assumed my little current hand weights were basically useless for real lifting.

I know I need protein for muscle - what should my daily goal be (roughly)? It seems to me that MFP underestimates...would you agree?

jacksonpt - since you brought up food -- when you say "adjust diet", do you mean overall calories? I've been playing with that, but my diary isn't open, so I wasn't going to ask for feedback. :tongue: Whatever general tips you have, though, are greatly appreciated!! I'm trying to stay with mostly fruits, veggies, lean meats, whole grains, etc but I don't cut anything out completely.

(thanks guys, I"m LOVING the tips!!! Keep 'em coming!)