Rotary V's Digital...

Options
I need to buy a set of scales. I've been relying on the Wii balance board, but it's such a lot of stuffing around just to weigh in.

So who has what and what type do you think is more accurate? The old fashioned rotary scale, or the digital ones?

Replies

• Ayla70
    Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • slim104
    slim104 Posts: 160
    Options
    Digital ones here. Salters. Measures body fat and hydration too. Never had a problem with them.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The rotary / analogue ones leave a bit more interpretation when you read them, depending on the angle etc, the digital ones read a single number with no doubt but you may get three slightly different numbers if you get on and off them.

When I had a fitness test done they guy said he was going back to the old type because of the fluctuations of the digital ones with the same person, but I don't think any of them are accurate to more than 1% which is over one pound either way.
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I like the old fashioned rotary one. I had a digital and it would fluctuate but the main reason I like my roatry is I drew goal lines on it and a "DO SOMETHING NOW!" line. It works to motivate me. The reading can be fudged if you turn your head a bit and you won't get to log each ounce lost--but lets face it, as long as the scale is going down and the inches are coming off I'm happy!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    I use a balance scale (like the kind at the doctor's office) and an electronic one. the electronic one is always about 10lbs heavy.
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Eatsmart Precision Plus Digital Bathroom Scale with Ultra Wide Platform and Step-on Technology, 440-Pounds
    by EatSmart

This is the one I use; I recently bought it and have found it to be very accurate.
  • Ayla70
    Ayla70 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should invest in one of those old fashioned scales you have to put the weights on til you get to your weight and it balances out. Pretty sure there's one at the hospital here :)
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    I use a balance scale (like the kind at the doctor's office) and an electronic one. the electronic one is always about 10lbs heavy.

I use Tanita Body Composition Monitior, as long as they are on a nice flat stable surface and I weigh at the same time every evening under the same conditions - they are superb. You really do have to play by the scales rules though. They are accurate for weight, I test with callibrated weights and Tanita offer a full refund if they do not weigh 100% accurate.