BMR vs. recommended calories

Options
2»

Replies

• mandyw30
    mandyw30 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Confused.com!
    I was just reading another post on here that said you should never eat below you BMR.
    I just calculated my BMR using several websites and came out with results between 2000-2100 calories. WIth a TDEE around 2800. Therefore does this mean I should be eating 2000-2300 calories a day? (500 deficit a day)
    I'm confused because MFP has me set at around 1800.
    Searched for some more posts on BMR and came across this one so hoping it would shed some light!!

It's all about context...

The more over weight you are, the safer (for lack of a better word) it is to eat below your BMR. Someone with 200lbs to lose can easily eat below the BMR with no ill effects. Someone with 5lbs to lose can't.

Thanks.
    I have well over 100lbs to lose. 100lbs is first goal then will re-evaluate but will probably need another 40-60lbs off after that.
    So aiming for 1800calories should be ok? I am starting to exercise (very unfit) starting with walking and will build in some strength training too.
  • bluestocking01
    Options
    The general guideline I give to people for weight loss is:

1. Calculate your BMR (basal metabolic rate - the amount of energy your body uses for basic processes like digestion and respiration)
    2. Calculate your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure - the total amount of energy your body uses in a day)
    3. Calculate your fat mass (body weight x fat%)
    4. Multiply fat mass by 22 to find your maximum daily calorie deficit (MDCD).
    5. Subtract your MDCD from your TDEE, if that is higher than BMR then eat that many calories per day. If it is lower than your BMR, eat at your BMR and add exercise to create the proper deficit.
    6. Redo this calculation after every 5 lbs of fat loss.

Also: lift weights and lift heavy using a proven program like Starting Strength or Strong Lifts. It's by far the most effective exercise you can do for improving your body composition (i.e. losing fat while maintaining muscle).

Great information.
  • brittanypeters1990
    brittanypeters1990 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I work at a hospital and they have a breathing machine i did for about 8-10 minutes it was called the Body Gem and it gave me how many calories I burn just sitting here breathing. . I feel that something you actually do is more acurate than a computer saying eat this much.. Maybe look into something like that?