Diet pill Delimma?

Options
So my workout partner hasn't logged in two weeks and ditched me at the gym 4 times this week. Our gym closes for cleaning next week and shes talking about taking these "ALL NATURAL" fat burning pills. I feel like that's really stupid especially since we were doing it all natural and losing weight just fine.

I want to tell her she is a moron and not to waste her time or money with putting crap in her body and that if it was really "all natural" she could pick it off a tree and eat it.

But i don't know I've never done pills

So whats your take on it? Have you done diet pills and mfp or bad idea all around?

Replies

• skinnyfithealthyme
    Options
    Yay caffeine pills. No I just drink coffee.
  • Treesy72
    Treesy72 Posts: 230
    Options
    It sucks that she bailed on you but just keep doing what you're doing, in the long run she will see the error of her ways. As for diet pills, the only one that does anything (in my opinion) is Xenical and only if you're doing everything else right as well so really the most important thing is to eat right and exersize. Best of luck!! :happy:
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Dani_wants_to_be_fit Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I've tried a lot in the past when I had a messed up view on eating and I would never touch them again.... my heart felt like it was going to explode in my chest, I was jittery, wasn't sleeping and a lot of other things happened. Getting severe side effects from legal brought over the counter pills.... wouldn't trust them ever again =/

Healthy eating and exercise is the way to go =)
  • erin023
    erin023 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I love caffeine and energy pills, but the only weight loss pills I've seen that really work are from the 'It Works' brand. They're fat burners and they are seriously a miracle worker.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    No to pills. I have tried a lot of them over the years and also done it the RIGHT way a number of times and the ONLY real thing is eating right & exercise. I did, however, become part of a networking team back in the early 90's - selling diet supplements and yes, they really worked. But quit taking=weight comes back. I have a friend right now at work who refuses to exercise and instead has opted for injecting herself with a shot that makes her sick, but she's proud of how she is "losing weight" and jealous that everyone has watched me change into a very active person. I've invited her with me - she came once to zumba, once walking and excuses every other time. I give up! Just gotta do it yourself, although getting to a gym for me is painful alone so I stick to running and zumba and when the weather gets bad again, I'll be doing DVDs in the house. Luck to you!
  • wvtracyann
    wvtracyann Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have taken a few different kinds and seen small results but nothing that I can fully say yes the pills really work. I had tried some at the begining of the year when I started this journey and I lost maybe a pound a month or so I had lost like 3 the first two weeks which I think was mainly water weight because taking the pills made me pee all the time. so after a couple months I stopped taking them and that is when I found MFP I started logging everything and exersising regularly and pow weight started coming off. Like I said I have tried a few different kinds over the years but nothing works as good as a great HEALTHY diet and hard work. Plus everytime I would go off them my weight would come back in a few weeks were as with here I took 2 1/2 months off and didnt' exersise ate whatever I wanted (fell of the train per say) and I only gained 2 pounds back in that time. It shows that I was losing fat the whole time I was exercising not just water weight to make the scale look better. Hope this helps :)
  • LooseWheel
    LooseWheel Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Some new fitness routines do suggest taking 'supplements'. If they are including natural vitamins and minerals, then that sounds all ok. For the ones I'm taking, they are also supportive of increasing metabolism. The one point I am seeking support and encouragement from. Yes they are a pill, yes they are a lazy idea for weight loss and increase in metabolism, but they are so far working and have done so in the past. Taking Fat Blaster previously increased my energy levels so I did wake up a little more than normal for a tired mum, the caffeine is to thank for that, I also am happy to be taking these for the added benefit of vitamins and minerals overall. I am on a limited plan to try them out, previously I went on this 'routine' and lost 15kgs, but didn't move my *kitten*, so when I stopped taking the tablets, I also stopped losing weight and piled it all back on again. If you dont move, you dont lose. I want to be a big loser. But my main prob is energy levels and this product has helped. It may all be in my head of course. But so far if its working in my mind and/or my body, I'm happy to take on the increase in caffeine and engergy boosting vitamin B's. I honestly will not be using these forever of course. I have a 3 month time limit for them, where its helping me to kick into gear fitness wise. Now that I've injured myself recently with a stuff up at ice skating, I'm still taking them over that 3 month period and actually maintaining my weight so far. Gotta get back into gear fitness wise, but wont do so until I get the all clear from my Dr and my Physio Dr right. Others can say, Yeah just have a few coffee's a day, but the other benefit I have found from Fat Blaster has been food suppresent. I dont over eat on meals anymore, I have learnt my 'full' feeling and will forever have this benefit long after the FB tablets have gone. I set myself a short term goal and are so far on track for things :) I know others done like tablets and 'outside' influences, but for me i have found a kick starter that actually works so I am giving things a go here. I am also learning along the way fitness levels, energy levels, fullness with food levels and emotional levels. Things that will be there for me long after I have stopped taking a tablet and have started with my long term 'lifestyle changes' hey.
  • AmberMahfouz
    Options
    I love caffeine and energy pills, but the only weight loss pills I've seen that really work are from the 'It Works' brand. They're fat burners and they are seriously a miracle worker.

I use the carb inhibitors with any "cheat" meal I have. I love all of the "It Works" products as well.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    So my workout partner hasn't logged in two weeks and ditched me at the gym 4 times this week. Our gym closes for cleaning next week and shes talking about taking these "ALL NATURAL" fat burning pills. I feel like that's really stupid especially since we were doing it all natural and losing weight just fine.

I want to tell her she is a moron and not to waste her time or money with putting crap in her body and that if it was really "all natural" she could pick it off a tree and eat it.

But i don't know I've never done pills

So whats your take on it? Have you done diet pills and mfp or bad idea all around?

My sister did diet pills and cut back allot on food and lost...
    then she stopped and gained...
    The thing is she was dieting so she was going to loses...

I don't think they work. It seems like everyone whos taking them is doing something else that actually makes them lose weight.

It's perhaps worth watching this Herbal Magic video that CBC did that basically says they lie and cheat (my sister was on this and several other kinds of weight loss pills previously :)

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2010/magic_in_a_bottle/main.html

Note the complaints about teeth and hair lose if you start googling this company. Concerning.