Heart Rate Monitor - To do or not to do?

Options
Hey MFPs, I've been toying with the idea of buying a heart rate monitor to get a more accurate reading on the amount of calories I actually burn while working out and throughout the day. I've already read through the archives and have a good idea on what one I would like to purchase.

My question to you is, "Is it worth the money?". My husband and I are trying to cut back on buying things we don't "need" and I feel like this is one of those things that is boarderline. I'm kind of near the end of my weight loss journey with 10-11lbs to go and have been plateaued for a while. Do you feel that the heart rate monitor would help me overcome this bump? Does it actually help speed up weight loss enough to counteract the expensive price tags? I know people have spent years losing weight without one, so I know it's possible, but wanted to know if it was worth the investment to add this extra monitor.

Replies

• Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Well IMO, my HRM is the most valuable piece of exercise equipment I own. Seeing the amount of calories I burn motivates me to keep going. I had tried losing weight pretty much since I was 10, and I would stick with exercising for a day or two, then lose my motivation. But in 2008 I bought a HRM and I've been exercising since (only stopping when I'm sick)! It just depends on how much the numbers will motivate you. For me, it really works, but for others just knowing they're working out and burning calories is sufficent.

*Edit - I only wear mine when exercising, too. I meant that having my HRM has motivated me so much that it's helped make working out part of my daily life, and the only times I don't workout is when I'm too sick.
  • shannonnolte
    shannonnolte Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with Blondie. I've worked out so much harder since I started wearing my HRM. I have a certain number of calories (depending how much food I plan on eating that day!) that I want to burn at the gym and I don't leave till I get there! I thought my workouts were burning a lot more calories that they really were, so it was an eye opener for me. I never go to the gym without it. Sidenote: I only wear it at the gym, not all day. (I have a Polar F6)
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I'm getting my Polar F7 in the mail soon :bigsmile:

I debated for a long time on getting one. I figured I was losing consistently on my own and I didn't need the hrm. Yet, as I get closer to my goal, fitness has become way more important to me. I want to see that my hard work is paying off, and I feel like this is something that I will use for a long time. Even when I get to goal weight, I will still use it because I will still be working out and busting my butt. I say do it!
  • leannaellis
    leannaellis Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    MFP Shannon recommended the Polar brand to me and I thank her for it. It absolutely is worth it because it is very motivating to see what you are actually doing. Plus, it is easier to set your workout goal and hold yourself to it. I have the Polar F4. Love it!
  • Taradise
    Taradise Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I just got a Polar F6 for Christmas and I love it. Seeing the cals burned motivates me. I seem to work out harder knowing my heart rate is at a healthy pace - I tell myself to pick it up - stop being a baby!! haha. Also, it gives me confidence of knowing exactly how many cals I burned and I know my logs are accurate.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I would mirror the above poster and state my HRM is THE most important pc of equipment I invested in.

Those last 10 are the hardest because at this point your body is in pretty good condition. I was shocked to see my HR didn't get into the zone I required doing the same exercise that used to put me in the red zone!

At this point it is my cattle prod...............I walk for a while and get mad because I am pushing really hard and getting 60-70%.......so I jog without thinking to make it go up and viola, my cals are doubled!

Good luck!