The 17 day diet

Options
Hi guys. So, I am struggling to lose the final 10 pounds... and a friend started Dukan and was very pleased. i however am pretty active (she isnt, due to a very fresh meniscus injury) and the no carb part is something I cant do at all. I found the 17 day diet, which I have started (so far so good... but it has only been a day)..and I am curious if anyone has any experience with it. The first cycle seems quite difficult, but I like what it becomes in the end, and that would be a really clean lifestyle. So, has anyone tried it?

http://www.the17daydiet.com

Replies

• CookieCatCatcher
    CookieCatCatcher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 17 of Cycle 1 - have lost 5.2 lbs, and have finally dropped below my plateau point. It works, but its restrictive. If you cheat on it at all during the first 17, be prepared to gain a few pounds back and work on shedding them again over the next few days. I feel like I would have def had better results had I just sucked it up and stuck with it 100%.

I'm moving to Cycle 2 tomorrow, not expecting the same great results - but, it's been a good way to get me back on track as far as eating whole foods and making better choices goes.
  • WandaVonDunajew
    WandaVonDunajew Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    So how did you manage the very low carb intake? Because I definitely struggle... i feel hypoglycemic all the time and my workouts suffer... I dont feel hungry per se, though, so thats fine. I have pretty good discipline, therefore even when I had a serious bout of hypoglycemia I just laid down a bit with my feet up and waited to pass. On the other hand, I really need my protein shake after more serious workouts, which does have some carbs... I was thinking to pass on the fruit servings the days I am having a shake (1-2/week... i only take them after strength training)...
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Are you not allowed any carbs at all?
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have lost very well on this 'diet' although I now no longer really consider it a diet and have always bent a few rules - i drink wine, i allow avocados and some other stuff that's not on his list. But I use MFP to track my cals and exercise. I think you're right to say that the you end up with a good way to eat for life.

I have found it easy, but I like fresh produce, yogurt and meat / fish and I cook from scratch most of the time. I couldn't do dukan or atkins as they're too restrictive with fibrous foods - ugh. The hardest part for me was building a repertoire of meals without the usual carbs...but it's been long enough now that it's second-nature. What has been really noticeable is the appetite reduction - i guess no sugar spikes.

My husband's done it too and feels much more energetic than he did when eating simple carbs.

Good luck with it. If you take to it, it should help get rid of those last ten.
  • jmoralesx5
    jmoralesx5 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm in phase 3 and i'm so glad i did this. I did this diet while doing P90X. Yes there were some days where I was soooooo low on energy. The key for me was to make sure I was getting enough protein. There were days where I needed take at least 4 protein shakes just to meet my goal protein intake, but that also gave me just enough carbs to make it through. So far I've lost over 30 pounds doing both P90X and 17DD. You can do it, just make sure you eat all your calories and work hard on your protein! You can friend me if you'd like.
  • jmoralesx5
    Options
    By the way I BodyTech has a Mint Chocolate whey protein shake powder that has 0 sugars and 23g of protein and that is what I've been using! I also used Matrix Chocolate to mix with a cup of greek yogurt (amazing protein numbers!) because the mint in yogurt just not a great combo for me. Also, Matrix Vanilla with a cup of greek yogurt and some blueberries is awesome!
  • ksamuelson44
    Options
    I first started the 17 day diet because as a woman in her mid 40s, who generally eats relatively healthy and keeps active, I was having the hardest time keeping my weight down and in the past two years probably gained ten pounds. I had three boys in the past nine years and everyone kept telling me "Welcome to the 40s" but I refused to accept that I could not maintain my previous weight.
    So, my husband and I did the 17 day diet and loved it. The first cycle was tough especially for him as he only really had the option of fish or chicken for dinner and he prefers burgers and fries. Also, I remember the first few days I would go to bed by 930 because I was so hungry and all I could think about was food. I often would have a vanilla yogurt after dinner for dessert and it helped. However, by phase three, it was so easy and it allows so many foods. Now, I keep to the maintenance plan fairly well. I try to eat my fruits and carbs before 4 each day but each night I allow myself a mini York peppermint pat and occasionally a glass of wine. I use MFP for tracking my calories and exercise.
  • CookieCatCatcher
    Options
    So how did you manage the very low carb intake? Because I definitely struggle... i feel hypoglycemic all the time and my workouts suffer... I dont feel hungry per se, though, so thats fine. I have pretty good discipline, therefore even when I had a serious bout of hypoglycemia I just laid down a bit with my feet up and waited to pass. On the other hand, I really need my protein shake after more serious workouts, which does have some carbs... I was thinking to pass on the fruit servings the days I am having a shake (1-2/week... i only take them after strength training)...

To be honest - I have not been working out at all, even walking in Cycle 1 - for that exact reason. In cycle 2 you get some healthy carbs back - and then you have the energy to work out again. I did enjoy the two week break from busting my tail, not going to lie.
  • CookieCatCatcher
    Options
    Are you not allowed any carbs at all?

You are, but only before 2pm, and only a certain list of them.
  • CookieCatCatcher
    Options
    By the way I BodyTech has a Mint Chocolate whey protein shake powder that has 0 sugars and 23g of protein and that is what I've been using! I also used Matrix Chocolate to mix with a cup of greek yogurt (amazing protein numbers!) because the mint in yogurt just not a great combo for me. Also, Matrix Vanilla with a cup of greek yogurt and some blueberries is awesome!

I'm def going to check this out - thanks for the info. Now that I can start running again, I'm really going to need the protein boost without killing my carb totals.
  • CookieCatCatcher
    Options
    I first started the 17 day diet because as a woman in her mid 40s, who generally eats relatively healthy and keeps active, I was having the hardest time keeping my weight down and in the past two years probably gained ten pounds. I had three boys in the past nine years and everyone kept telling me "Welcome to the 40s" but I refused to accept that I could not maintain my previous weight.
    So, my husband and I did the 17 day diet and loved it. The first cycle was tough especially for him as he only really had the option of fish or chicken for dinner and he prefers burgers and fries. Also, I remember the first few days I would go to bed by 930 because I was so hungry and all I could think about was food. I often would have a vanilla yogurt after dinner for dessert and it helped. However, by phase three, it was so easy and it allows so many foods. Now, I keep to the maintenance plan fairly well. I try to eat my fruits and carbs before 4 each day but each night I allow myself a mini York peppermint pat and occasionally a glass of wine. I use MFP for tracking my calories and exercise.

I love hearing these success stories - and that's the thing - a "diet" is only going to work if it translates to a lifestyle change - not just something I'm going to so to drop weight for now.
  • vicki_v1
    vicki_v1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Today was my first day on the 17DD and I am actually really hungry. Idk maybe i didn't eat enough but feel encouraged because so many people have had results on this diet.
  • CookieCatCatcher
    Options
    Today was my first day on the 17DD and I am actually really hungry. Idk maybe i didn't eat enough but feel encouraged because so many people have had results on this diet.

Try to make a point of eating something every couple of hours. Even if it's just some veggies.
  • jmoralesx5
    Options

REmember on this diet the 1st 17 days you can eat as much of the permitted foods (only 2 pieces of fruit before 2pm) you want. Eat lots of protein and drink plenty of water. It is going to be very difficult the first week or so, stick it out!
  • WandaVonDunajew
    WandaVonDunajew Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thank you all of you! Its really uplifting to hear your success stories. I still have 6 days to go with the first cycle. Not gonna lie, its hard and I am low on energy..but I kept pushing and even went for my workouts (just a bit less then before, I used to do an hour of circuit and one day of couch 25k plus some swimming everyday, now I do one day circuit one day c25k), Im kinda hungry right now and cant wait for cycle 2. But I guess in the end it is worth it, I love the sound of cycle 3 and 4. The great advantage right now is that I have weaned myself off the white carbs, I dont think I will ever eat simple carbs again..I feel way to good (no more..um... digestive issues :blushing: )
    Unfortunately Im not American so the awesome shakes that were suggested are not available where i live... I do drink 1-2 shakes/week (after longer workouts). Downside of eating many eggs: I have a malformed gall bladder and it acted up after 5 days of omelettes, so I reduced them. Aaaaanyway, Im feeling better than expected, I did lose some weight (not gonna weigh myself until the end of the cycle, but i can see it in clothes) and I really really hope Ill stick to cycle 2... I am leaving for holiday next week on Friday, doing mountain climbing (summiting the 4 highest mountains in the country and some others) and biking , plus a trail run competition and a wedding at the end. Its gonna be interesting :) Thank you all for your support, it was highly appreciated!:drinker: