Citalopram. Hmmph.

Options
Hello,

I wonder if anyone has any ideas about this. I'm pretty sure that my 40mg of Citalopram is preventing me from losing weight. I'm doing everything I ought to be, and exercising like a lunatic, but not seeing any results.

Has anyone else had this problem? Are there any solutions? (other than coming off the meds - I would rather be fat than suicidal :wink: )

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I was on that, 20mg from memory (40 is the max). Didn't prevent weight loss.
    exercising like a lunatic

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • Bufite
    Bufite Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'm not on a big calorie deficit at all. It should be enough to lose 1lb a week, even taking into account the crazy exercising. I guess I'll just keep on going - it's early days yet!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    If you're "eating back" the crazy exercise calories make sure you aren't overestimating them - try eating half for a couple of weeks.

1 lb/week or 500 cals/day is a high deficit to some - 25% or more.
  • Bufite
    Bufite Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    That's good advice, thanks, I'll try that :)
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am on Citalopram too. I gained 10lb when I started taking it but it is starting to come off now. How long have you been on 40mg? Perhaps, in some people, it takes a while for things to settle down before you can start losing again.

I also found I craved sugar on it, perhaps because of the nausea. Now that things have settled down I am fine with lowish sugar and carbs.

Keep going and try to avoid the sugar if that has become a problem for you. After a couple of days of avoiding the sugar you should hopefully find it much easier. Of course you may already be avoiding the sugar, in which case, great! :bigsmile:

I hope it settles down for you soon.
  • emmaonamission
    Options
    I'm on citalopram 40mg and it killed my appetite for the first few weeks, it's evened out now though and I don't think it's hindered my weight loss (or helped it, despite the loss of appetite in the beginning). Just keep going, keep active and keep making good choices and your body is sure to catch up/get used to it.

Plus like another poster said, if you haven't been on it very long then give it a couple of weeks for your body to adjust :)
  • kaydensmom12
    Options
    Citalopram can not make you gain weight without changing your diet, but it can cause sedation and appetite stimulation that can make you gain weight. You have to be eating more/moving less to gain weight, it does not change your metabolism.

Just make sure that you are really watching what you eat, and how much you are moving. If you are not already, make sure you are measuring instead of relying on the scale. I haven't lost weight in months but have dropped a few pant sizes and lost inches.
  • LisaB55
    LisaB55 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    SSRIs can be associated with weight gain/increased appetite OR weight loss/decreased appetite, but neither is common and there's definitely no established cause and effect relationship. It's pretty likely that it is coincidence.