Water!

Options
Hi Guys
I have been really upping my water intake this week... From NO water a day (except in Coffee and diet coke etc) to a minimum of 8 glasses a day.
Can anyone offer any advice on how long it will take for me to be able to comfortably drink lots of water without dreading it and also (embarassing question now lol) how long it will take for me to stop peeing every 20 minutes?
Has anyone found that drinking lots of water assisted with them losing weight (Apart from it filling them up)?

Thanks peeps, look forward to your replies!

Replies

• kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    awkward....silence.......ummm it will take sometime to get use to drinking lots of water and you will be alot until you become accustom to drinking alot of it.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I drink, on average, 15-20 cups of water a day. I don't understand people that don't 'like' water. You can 'jazz it up' a bit if you like with lemon or lime. (it's 907am and I'm already on my 7th cup).... I don't consider anything with caffeine in it as water intake since caffeine is a diuretic.

I still have to pee frequently - and I've been doing this for over a year and a half.

not only do I feel a lot better when I drink a lot of water, but I also eat A LOT of fiber, and the water is a necessity in keeping things moving, if you get my drift. ;)
  • lizdwolf
    lizdwolf Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It helps tremendously! Maybe you want to work your way up to 8 glasses rather than force it down and out.?... but the extra trips to the bathroom are great because that's your body literally flushing out all sorts of nasty stuff you don't want to hold onto anyway. Sip at it over the course of the day and probably within about a week your body will balance out.
  • SGT_Reg
    SGT_Reg Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Get a huge water bottle and chug away. I love water, I can't see how people don't drink enough sometimes, but I don't judge. If I carry a small water bottle around I end up drinking less than half of what I normally drink with my half gallon water bottle from wal mart( $2.49). Maybe try that. I don't suggest mixing flavors with it, unless you find a good no sugar type. Good luck
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    It took a couple weeks for my body to stop having to pee every 20 minutes lol, but I feel so much better just drinking more water. Never realized that not enough water was making me feel off before.
  • puffidredz
    puffidredz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    i'm also a no water drinker. since starting MFP i've found the easiest way to drink water was to drink it with every meal.
    1 regular drinking cup (16oz) is 2 cups of water already so 3 meals a day with water is already taking care of 6 cups and so i have one free cup of water to drink left. when i initially started MFP i couldn't do it but it took like a 1.5 weeks of doing what i do above and now i can drink 8 cups of water a day with no problems. hth.
  • prince_david
    prince_david Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You will learn to just love water! See it as hydrating your body and giving you energy. I think it tastes great and refreshing. Whenever I get hungry throughout the day, I just drink more water! I used to interpret dehydration as hunger which would lead to lots of snacking!
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys
    I have been really upping my water intake this week... From NO water a day (except in Coffee and diet coke etc) to a minimum of 8 glasses a day.
    Can anyone offer any advice on how long it will take for me to be able to comfortably drink lots of water without dreading it and also (embarassing question now lol) how long it will take for me to stop peeing every 20 minutes?
    Has anyone found that drinking lots of water assisted with them losing weight (Apart from it filling them up)?

Thanks peeps, look forward to your replies!

There's no need to drink "lots" of water. Drink to hydration. If your urine is yellow, you're not hydrated. If it's almost clear, you're drinking enough.
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I am no expert or anything, but here's my experience with water.

I was a NO water person, but after reading all about how much you should drink and the more you drink the better I decided ok lets give it a shot... When my water bottle is empty I fill it up, its just a habit now, and it only took a couple days to form this habit for me. I drink upwards of 12 cups a day and I pee constantly. I don't think that will ever change, but thankfully there's a bathroom close by! I don't know how true it is, but I feel like my consumption of water has helped me drop the lbs. I lose 1 lb pretty consistently each week.
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I always liked water but definitely was not drinking enough of it. For me personally it took about 2 weeks to get comfortable drinking 8 glasses or more. Now I have to have it...my body literally craves it and I can tell when I haven't had enough of it. As far as the tinkling goes...sorry that doesn't go away. You will have to go when you get that sensation unless you are good at holding it. I am an Administrative Assistant so I have gotten good at holding it, but it really isn't the most healthy thing to do for your bladder and kidneys. Drinking lots of water has definitely helped me lose weight as well...apart from feeling full it decreases bloating and the less bloated the less the scale says I weigh. Sounds counter-intuitive but you have to drink MORE water to stop water retention in the body. Hope this helps. :-)
  • larsmac83
    Options
    You DO get used to it. I was never a water drinker, and a few years ago, I started upping my water intake. Now, I feel pretty thirsty if I don't get enough of it. My body craves it now that I'm used to it. I drink probably between 64 oz and 124 oz a day depending on my workout schedule that day. Crystal Light mix-ins make a great way to break up the taste. Just make sure to get the ones that dont' have any sugar or carbs in them. But great job! I have a friend that is trying to do the same. It not only helps fill you up, but it also makes sure that your body flushes out all the bad stuff. Keep it going!
  • Katie1951
    Katie1951 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I love my water. I drink more than 10 8 oz. glasses a day. I never count any liquid as water except water. Tea, coffee, diet soda just doesn't have the same benefits.
  • jeremypollard
    Options
    I recently switched from no water to all water myself and know exactly what you are talking about. I would say it takes about 2 weeks to get used to it and 3 to 4 weeks before it starts to taste sweet and you drink it without thinking about it.

The frequent bathroom trips did not seem to start to gradually decline until after two weeks. Had about a 2 weeks to a month maybe where I'd wake in the middle of the night needing to use the bathroom.
  • Sam3622
    Sam3622 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm used to it now, i never drink less than 8 glasses a day, but i am constantly peeing and i think i probably always will! Just think, its burning cals running to the bathroom! :P
  • rickpearce
    rickpearce Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    For you guys that are having trouble with the water just treat it like you would your exercise or whatever. Maybe you don't love it but you have to do it.

Tip: Fill up a big bottle or jug and leave it in an area you would go through multiple times - your desk, on the kitchen counter, etc. Every time you notice it drink a glass.
  • hottiebikerchick
    hottiebikerchick Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    REMEMBER....the 8 glasses is equal to the size of 8/ 1 cup servings or 64 oz... its not as much as some think.
  • urfitnesspal2
    urfitnesspal2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Great job with the increased water intake. You will get used to it, and I personally find it helps to have a couple quart (or liter for our metric friends) size water bottles that I keep full in the refrigerator. That way I always have fairly cold water available. I generally drink approx 6 of these bottles per day. I do not consider myself to be a huge water fan, I just think about how good it is for me to drink it and how it will help me keep from holding unnecessary water weight. It also helps me during exercise to be really hydrated... hope this is useful for you. Oh... you will continue to pee as long as you continue to take in fluids ;)
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    REMEMBER....the 8 glasses is equal to the size of 8/ 1 cup servings or 64 oz... its not as much as some think.

Exactly. And more is not always better. You CAN drink too much, and it can throw off your electrolyte balance in your body. So I'll repeat what I said earlier: drink enough so that your urine is almost clear. You don't need more than that.
  • denise032
    denise032 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I typically drink b/t 8 to 12 glasses per day. I try not to go over that unless I'm super active that day.

My first 2-3 weeks on here I didn't lose much until I started drinking the water, so I do believe it helps..

It'll take a week or two for you to stop having to pee every 20 minutes (I usually only go 3 times or so during the work day) and a few more weeks until you really get used to it. It takes 5 weeks for anything to become a habit. ;)

PS- I bring a 2.2L (8 glass) water bottle to work everyday (stop and shop sells them) and usually finish or nearly finish it by the time I get home.
  • slcjd92
    slcjd92 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I was not aware of the urine color as an indicator but that is good to know. I know that once I started to drink enough water, my feet and ankles quit swelling. If I don't drink enough, my lips chap and start to crack (like they are today) so I know I will up my water intake today since I am in the office. It does definitely help with your weight loss as well.