HELP! - Starting the 90 day Challenge with body by Vi shakes

Options
After my 7 day all inclusive I need to get back on track with my weight loss!

I'm slighly concerned about the body by Vi shakes that are supposed to be my meal replacement. Not because of the product but because of the low calorie intake I will have! I checked the database and 2scoops of the powder = 90 calories, add skim milk and I get a whole meal?

I've seen plenty of talk regarding "starvation mode" on this site and need some answers. Is this a real thing? Will I be in starvation mode when I start these shakes (because they want me to take them twice a day to replace two meals)?

If someone would shed some light on the issue I'd be most grateful!
Happy Friday!!

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The Body By Vi system is a scam. Don't do it. You're right to be worried about the low calorie intake.
  • 3LittleMonkeyMom
    Options
    The Body By Vi system is a scam. Don't do it. You're right to be worried about the low calorie intake.

^^
    Yes, people will peddle anything to make a quick buck. Stay away from that stuff. You will do more damage than good to your body..
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    K seriously, there is no harm to your body in drinking these shakes. Get real. They are expensive but so are all the other meal replacement shakes out there. I drink them 2x a day not to market or sell them, but because I like them and they help me fit in an easy meal here and there when I dont have time at work or in the morning when I dont have time to cook and dont really have the stomach for a more substantial meal but dont want to not eat.

If you read "the plan" for this program, you can add other things to make them a little more filling and dense when you are using it as a meal and not just a snack. Google vi shake recipes and you will find literally hundreds. My favorite go to is apple pie flavour. I use skim milk, the shake powder, a pre measured single serving of applesauce, some cinnamon, vanilla and ground flax seed. It is super yummy and usually keeps me full for a couple of hours till my next meal. Or toss in a banana and some PB and cocoa and voila, nutty monkey flavoured! I still snack on healthy foods throughout the day and have a normal (properly portioned) supper and it ends up for me being about 1400 cals a day. Ive been losing about a lb a week with daily exercise Bottom line, if youre hungry, eat.good.food. Dont starve.

Good luck!
  • loserbaby84
    loserbaby84 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I attended an event they held here and met one of the "success stories". I realize this has potential to be the biggest marketing scam around however, some people have proven results..

"Everyone's different" and I understand this but dropping 90lbs in 90 days is very appealing!! Especially since you've been my size your entire life.

I have been losing with watching my calorie intake and I'm nervous about how this "magic shake" will affect my progress.. I'm very torn.
  • Jxnsmma
    Options
    Just remember that 90lbs in 90 days is not typical. Its extraordinary and normally only happens when someone is in the beginning stages of a huge lifestyle change and starts off very large with terrible eating habits and never exercised, IMO.

If what you were doing was working, why do you want to change to this if you are so apprehensive? Maybe just wait and see how things go. Sounds like one of those spontaneous purchases that I frequently fall victim too and later regret. I like to make myself "sit on it" for a week or 2 and then see if I still really want to do it/have it or not :)

Might be cheaper to go out and get a good quality protein powder and use that to see what you think about drinking protein shakes before you commit to the 90 day program...

Truthfully, when i run out of the powder I stocked up with now, I am going to use the same recipes but regular vanilla protein powder. Its cheaper and more convenient to purchase...
  • loserbaby84
    Options
    It was a pressure sale for sure .. And, honestly, I think I was in it for the "quick fix" when I KNOW there's no such thing and in the end I want long term results.

I probably could have answered my own questions but thank you all for being a sounding board for me! This is truly what these forums are for and I appreciate the input!! <3
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    K seriously, there is no harm to your body in drinking these shakes. Get real. They are expensive but so are all the other meal replacement shakes out there. I drink them 2x a day not to market or sell them, but because I like them and they help me fit in an easy meal here and there when I dont have time at work or in the morning when I dont have time to cook and dont really have the stomach for a more substantial meal but dont want to not eat.

If you read "the plan" for this program, you can add other things to make them a little more filling and dense when you are using it as a meal and not just a snack. Google vi shake recipes and you will find literally hundreds. My favorite go to is apple pie flavour. I use skim milk, the shake powder, a pre measured single serving of applesauce, some cinnamon, vanilla and ground flax seed. It is super yummy and usually keeps me full for a couple of hours till my next meal. Or toss in a banana and some PB and cocoa and voila, nutty monkey flavoured! I still snack on healthy foods throughout the day and have a normal (properly portioned) supper and it ends up for me being about 1400 cals a day. Ive been losing about a lb a week with daily exercise Bottom line, if youre hungry, eat.good.food. Dont starve.

Good luck!

I always wonder why an expensive shake would need stuff added to it to make it more palatable and/or increase nutritional content. Why not just buy protein powder and make your own shake then? Once you start added all those ingredients you lose the convenience factor and increase the cost even more.
  • Jxnsmma
    Options
    I always wonder why an expensive shake would need stuff added to it to make it more palatable and/or increase nutritional content. Why not just buy protein powder and make your own shake then? Once you start added all those ingredients you lose the convenience factor and increase the cost even more.

I didnt say it didnt taste good. I didnt say it wasnt nutritious. I said to make it more of a meal calorie wise and the different recipes are to change up the flavours so you dont get bored of drinking the same thing. And I did say to use regular protein powder instead...

Please dont put words in my mouth... or remove what I did say... :)
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options

I didnt say it didnt taste good. I didnt say it wasnt nutritious. I said to make it more of a meal calorie wise and the different recipes are to change up the flavours so you dont get bored of drinking the same thing. And I did say to use regular protein powder instead...

Please dont put words in my mouth... or remove what I did say... :)
    Actually, I didn't remove any of your post, what you said about protein powder was another post of yours.
    I see what you mean about "putting words in your mouth" though about the taste. I should have been more clear that my question was more general. I often see posts recommending ways to make shakes more tasty or more nutritious.
  • rach7turtle
    rach7turtle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Here's a site with 100 different recipes to make the shakes. if you want something fruitier then you can make a fruit one. if you want more calories, do a higher calorie shake, if you want lower calories only add milk or even just water. You can make of it what you want. However you could just replace whatever calories your shake amounts to and eat that same level of calories of a nutritious meal. It's whatever you want to do. I think its just harder to get the nutrition from meals with that low of calories like you would in the shakes.
  • rach7turtle
    rach7turtle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Here's a site with 100 different recipes to make the shakes. if you want something fruitier then you can make a fruit one. if you want more calories, do a higher calorie shake, if you want lower calories only add milk or even just water. You can make of it what you want. However you could just replace whatever calories your shake amounts to and eat that same level of calories of a nutritious meal. It's whatever you want to do. I think its just harder to get the nutrition from meals with that low of calories like you would in the shakes.

oops i forgot to include the link http://www.livingsmartgirl.com/2011/08/100-body-by-vi-shake-recipes/
  • loserbaby84
    Options
    [/quote]
    oops i forgot to include the link http://www.livingsmartgirl.com/2011/08/100-body-by-vi-shake-recipes/
    [/quote]

That's awesome, I will have to try those! Looks like I can add quite a few calories by adding things to the shake!
  • hopingforanewme
    Options
    I wish people would research before saying they are a scam....the internet is dangerous. I took it to my Doctor and a nutritionist. I get anywhere between 275 - 300 per shake per meal. If you are trying to lose weight and are on a 1500 calorie a day "diet" or lifestyle change then for breakfast and lunch then that is almost half your calories for one day. They encourage you and want you to eat healthy choices for snacks...which I do. If you do, and stay at 100 calories per snack once after breakfast and after lunch then know you are at 800 which leaves you 700 for dinner and evening snack....who's starving....GET REAL PEOPLE!!!! Read about first!!! I can tell you that I am not starving. The nutrition benefits of the shakes are very good.
  • azeria
    azeria Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the discussion. I went to a presentation on Friday and have been trying to figure it out myself. I don't want in with the business and making money part of it. But, I am trying to figure out how it works. How does a typical day on this diet look? Weird writing that word diet. I've always said I wouldn't do diets. I practice eating in moderation... but I've plateaued and gotten discouraged and thought this might be the extra boost I need.

Please keep sharing your input.
  • yngone
    yngone Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I Use Visalus and it works great for me,...... love the variations, never boring, always nutritious, and delicious. there are a ton of recipes online. As far as expense....Um, tell me.......... whats better than FREE?

90 lbs in 90 days?... That is crazy....hype marketing .....and quite frankly in my opinion UN healthy, I have no idea how that person got those results she must have been replacing all her meals..... with shakes with no fruit or vegetable add ins.

I've lost 22 lbs in 2 months, replacing 2 meals a day, exercising, and eating a healthy dinner. but I have alot to loose... roughly 80 more lbs. I will taper off to 1 per day later, then none...... Cant live on shakes the rest of my life afterall. And yes lifestyle change is a must to sustain results.

Works great as a tool for me..... :bigsmile:
  • jamiejean1021
    Options
    I also hate when people jump to conclusions and call things I scam =/ Personally I drink just the shake in the morning and evenings, and occassionaly add one of the flavour packets. I do this because, 1.) according to myfitnesspall, my calorie intake should only be 1200 a day. And two because having a desk job, i like to snack.

So I get up in the morning, have my shake around 6am
    Get to work, have a couple of glasses of cold water
    Around nine i start to snack, I usually string off pieces of beef jerky or string cheese and pair it with a 5oz can of V8 (only 30calories)
    I have my good meal at lunch time, around 1145. Today I am eating half a porterhouse steak and some mexican "rice" (actually made with Bulgur, which is wheat) for a total of 6-800 calories, depending on whether or not I eat it all.
    Drink cold water from noon until around 4 or 5 when I begin to feel snacky again. I well then either have a trail mix bar, or some more jerky and V8
    I will finish the night off with my 2nd shake around 730 tonight and have somemore water before bed.

I always drink water if i begin to feel hungry as sometiems your body is actually telling you its thirsty.
    Also don't feel like your tied down. My dad eats his dinner as his normal meal for the day, so sometimes smelling it makes my mouth water... I'll dip into the pan and take a little pinch of his chicken breast or something like that... it doesn't kill you.

I watched both my dad and best friend do the diet before I finally decided to join. My was almost 300lbs when she started. She's now down almost 40lbs from when she began almsot 5.5 months ago.
  • Cinmn
    Cinmn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Re: the low calories of each shake, just as others have explained, they are really a base. Add in a banana, a spoonful of soynut butter, oatmeal, etc. and make it a real meal replacement. Otherwise it's basically a snack. Even combined with add-ins, it's much cheaper and healthier for me vs. what I have been consuming.
    I just started the shakes, because I wanted something that would force me into a regimen. I could have done it with SlimFast, but too much sugar. Atkins shakes are hardly any sugar but cost too much. If you have plenty of self control and don't need meal replacement shakes, then kudos to you. I used to be like that, too. But then I got lazy and felt like I could eat whatever I wanted and it didn't matter. Plus I started eating much heavier meals for lunch at my work cafeteria: beef brisket & potatoes, gyros & fries, etc. Weight piles on gradually, though. Once I realized weight was piling on, I felt there was no reason to even try. THAT is the most dangerous mode of thinking so I knew i had to get control. SO the Body by Vi Challenge for me is about regaining control, and re-establishing a regimen. Then I will continue eating how I used to eat, before I started gorging myself. I always maintained my weight fine and never had issues. It was when I got lazy, started over-eating, and eating CRAP that I put on weight. No big mystery. I ate crap, got fat.
  • lovingmomma1202
    Options
    I am on Body by vi, my usual shake is anywhere from 2-250 calories.. you can add anything you want.. spinach and blueberries, kale and avacodo.. peanut butter and oatmeal.. they can be very filling.. and you get 2-3 healthy snacks and a healthy meal too so you wont be in starvation mode.. I am very very rarely in starvation mode with this. I have lost 5 lbs in 2 weeks and my tummy bloat has diminished significantly. there are a ton of recipies out there for added flavor and calories.. im doing a carrot cake vi shake for dinner tonight. there is a 90 day money back garentee if you are not satisfyed..
  • MistressAella
    MistressAella Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I had co-worker take me to a "seminar" for BbV and the man on the video summed it up for me nicely. He said, "Our sales last year were $$$. Will YOU help ME reach $$$$$ this year?!?!?" and the audience exploded with applause. Uhm... he just literally said will YOU make ME richer. lmfao.

Needless to say a week after she bought the package she asked me to research what goes into their products and then source each one for her at a reduced price.

(I said no ;) )
  • amili045
    amili045 Posts: 99
    Options
    I lost quite a bit of weight on the shakes. What I did was I added things to them. Spinach, berries and other fruits and i made them big. I put soy milk, almond milk as well as skim. I would eat healthy but full meals and it worked. I worked out and never felt bad about it or tired. There are many ways to lose weight. This product is well researched and used by top athletes. However, its not a miracle worker. and yes you would be wise to add more to the shakes then just milk. Ther premise is as you know to give the body all of the valuable nutrients it needs and help build lean muscle while working out. I stopped doing the shakes. I found it too expensive and I didnt like the marketing. But I stand behind them 100 % in terms of quality. In Canada, where im from, the nurtitional values of the shakes are even higher because of our food health and nutritional standards. I would again advise you to make sure that the shakes are packed with other foods make sure your body feels full. :)