heel spur pain

Options
Why do I find as I try and do more exercise, I seem to hurt more??

I am looking for casual dressy shoes(clogs preferrably, slip on shoes) for work, something that would look ok with capris of various colour, I'm not a shoe *kitten*, so hate to have a million types of shoes, that's good for a heel spur. . help? I hate shopping, big time. . .

thanks, trying to get a hold of this as it's keeping me from walking

Replies

• TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a podiatrist?
  • bernhart1984
    Options
    i totally understand your pain. i have heel spurs as well. i find a good running shoe gives the best support. i have 3 pairs of Nike running shoes. i also have Dr. Comfort gel inserts, which i got from my foot Doctor. he put me on rest back in March and anti-inflamintory medication. i had to go against his advice and began working out last weeks (my weight keeps going up and could not stand it any more). i do not walk around the house barefoot anymore. even during the night time when i have to pee in the middle of the night.

i find that low impact works the best. if you can find a pool go there and swim and walk, that should take some of the pressure off your heels. i also found that doing stretches (flexing and pointing) the feet help as well. stay away from things that are super high impact.

hope this helps!
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    yeah, just can't really wear sneakers to work, my feet feel best wtih wearing sneakers, but that's not business casual LOL
  • gail1101
    gail1101 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I suffer with foot pain also, a different kind, but if there is a Foot Solutions near you, try them out. The one I go to is very knowledgeable about all foot problems and sold me the best shoes for my situation. I highly recommend!
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    I have the same, exact problem. Let me tell you what I've done and maybe you can use some of my information. I purchased ProFoot inserts (cheaper than Dr. Scholls and they work great) and I switch them to whatever pair of shoes I want to wear. Also I purchased an Ace arch support brace. Basically, it's a wide piece of breathable elastic that you pull up on your foot and it supports your arch. It's also quite comfortable. Then, I sleep in a plantar fasciatis brace at night. I found it at CVS and it cost me about $30 but it was totally worth it. It is an L shaped brace that velcro's around the ball of your foot, makes the L and then velcro's around the bottom of the calf/top of the ankle. It looks uncomfortable but it's really not. It hasn't bothered me at all. Also I stretch my calf muscles a lot which, in turn, stretches the ligament that causes the pain. I am NOT supposed to go bare foot at home, which does bother me, I am a bare foot person by nature, so I wear my tennis shoes around the house. Also I'm not wearing my flip flops any more although they are my favorite form of footwear for the summer. My doctor also put me on Mobic. She wanted to put me on Celebrex but Mobic (genenric is meloxicam) is cheaper and does the same thing. I take 150mg of that first thing in the morning for inflammation. It sounds like all together it's a pain in the butt but it is working. It is slowly getting better. Some days are worse than others but it IS improving. Oh, also you can freeze a bottle of water and roll that back and forth under the afflicted foot. That's good for it too.

I hope you get better. I know how miserable it is. I actually have a pic of my heel spur in my pics on my profile. LOL Darn thing! lol
  • JennBunny73
    JennBunny73 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I did everything for my heel spur...inserts for my shoes, night brace, cortisone shots...then my foot doctor come to realize I had an entrapped nerve..pretty severe with nerves and vericose veins wrapped around them. I ended up having surgery for mine 2 weeks ago. I am still not able to fully walk on my foot, but the burning and awful pain from the heel spur is totally gone...so you might want to go see a foot doctor to make sure.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    i went shopping this weekend, picked up three pairs of shoes, one for winter, one for now and one for walking around the house, gotta say, heel is feeling much better. . just need to remember to put the house ones near the bed when I get up at night. . .now to break in the dress shoes for work :P