Overnight Oats - How did I screw it up?

Options
Tried overnight oats for the 1st time this morning. Fcking groce.

I used 1/3 cup greek yogurt,
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup oats,
1 scoop chocolate protein,
1 spoon peanut butter.

Was hoping for a epic chocolate/pb combo but it tasted sour/tangy. Will have to keep experementing. Maybe flavored yogurt instead of plain?

Just moved into a new house and did not have any plastic saran wrap to cover the bowel so I used aluminum foil. It was not 100% air tight, could it have soured and gone bad overnight?

Edit: Oops ment to post in the recipes forum

Replies

• Javajunkie67
    Javajunkie67 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I believe you only mix the milk and oat for an overnight soak, then add in the things in the morning just before you eat. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong :D
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I do 1/4 cup Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup oats, 1/3 cup milk (I use almond milk), then my add-ins such as honey and fruit. My guess is that you had too much yogurt and no sweetener of any kind. Since the Greek yogurt is what you're finding too tangy, if you're going to add in protein powder, you may not need as much Greek yogurt. It serves 2 purposes, one it acts as a thickener, but it's also there to bump the protein content. Bottom line, either it or the powder may not be entirely necessary.

You might be able to adapt one of these to get what you were looking for:
    http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal
  • Fatal1ty2k5
    Fatal1ty2k5 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. Will keep tweaking it, might make 4 quarter servings tonight of different variations to try in the morning.
  • Brengild
    Brengild Posts: 127
    Options
    I think the other poster was right, either yogurt or protein powder. Greek yogurt is extra tangy though, I use a packet of stevia and, or, applesauce to sweeten.
  • free2live72003
    Options
    The chocolate peanut butter one is actually my least favorite--try one without chocolate and ad some sweetner to offset the yogurt's tartness.
  • Yellerie
    Yellerie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    This is how I do mine:

1 cup of rolled oats
    1 cup of skim milk
    1 tablespoon honey [or to taste]
    1 apple, diced
    1 banana, sliced thin
    2 tablespoons greek yogurt
    1/4 cup dried cranberries
    1/8 cup toasted, sliced almonds
    Soak the oats overnight in enough milk to cover them. In the morning, most of the milk will have been absorbed by the oats. Stir, then add in the yogurt, honey, and fresh fruit. Mix to combine. Add dried fruit and nuts. Taste and add more honey if necessary. Serves 2.
  • tara_jm
    tara_jm Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I love greek yogurt but I do not like it in overnight oats.

The base of my overnight oats is always 1/3 cup oats, 2/3 cup milk, 1 tbsp chia seeds, a little vanilla.

Then I either add in a mushed banana, 1/2 tbsp maple syrup, or stevia for sweetness.

Right before I eat it I stir in 1/2 scoop of plain protein powder, and some cinnamon and a little more milk if needed.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Here's my recipe! I don't use yogurt. That's probably what you found unpleasant.

- 1/3 c oats
    - 2/3 c vanilla soymilk
    - 1 tbsp chia seeds

Sometimes I add a scoop of protein powder or some cocoa powder. And I eat it with chopped fruit and nut butter, or with banana soft serve. Way too decadent for breakfast!!!! Sometimes I can't believe I'm eating something healthy haha :)
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Here's my recipe! I don't use yogurt. That's probably what you found unpleasant.

- 1/3 c oats
    - 2/3 c vanilla soymilk
    - 1 tbsp chia seeds

Sometimes I add a scoop of protein powder or some cocoa powder. And I eat it with chopped fruit and nut butter, or with banana soft serve. Way too decadent for breakfast!!!! Sometimes I can't believe I'm eating something healthy haha :)

I have tons of protein powder at home............I'll have to try adding that instead of the yogurt some time. Thanks for posting this.
  • natalyg
    natalyg Posts: 3
    Options
    The original recipe I used for Overnight Oats included Greek yogurt. I hated it, precisely because of the tanginess... I just don't enjoy that in my oatmeal. Omitting the yogurt made a huge difference for me. You could try that, or if you really want to have yogurt in the morning, I'd just cut back the amount.

I use the overnight oats recipe from Skinny Taste as a base recipe and just switch up fruits/flavors:

1/4 cup quick oats
    1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or skim, soy)
    1/4 medium banana, sliced (freeze the rest for smoothies!)
    1/2 tbsp chia seeds
    1/2 cup blueberries
    4-5 drops NuNaturals liquid vanilla stevia (or your favorite sweetener)
    pinch cinnamon
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I think the greek yogurt makes it sour. I added honey to mine.
  • wallj135
    wallj135 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Can you use any type of porridge oats to make this?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    All mushy oats are fu**ing gross. Baked oatmeal FTW!
  • jennadelane
    jennadelane Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I hated it the first time I tried it. Goes to reason though that since I hate plain greek yogurt that I would hate overnight oats with plain greek yogurt in it! So I started adding flavored greek yogurt and sometimes regular yogurt instead. Some recipes were so so, but I've found a couple that I love. My favorite at the moment:

1/4 cup rolled oats
    1.5 tsp chia seeds
    1/4 cup fat free milk
    6oz vanilla greek yogurt (1 container)
    1/2 cup sliced strawberries

Another one I like uses strawberry greek yogurt and bananas or fat free wildberry crumbcake yogurt (publix brand) with blueberries. Keep trying!

Edit: the vanilla strawberry recipe above has 274 calories and 22g of protein!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    You forgot to top with Reese's Puffs, Reese's Minis and Chocolate syrup
  • jacquirich
    jacquirich Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You need to adda sweetner, because the greek yoghurt is very sharp and the other ingredients take on the flavour of it as they are bland, made the same mistake myself
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    You probably didn't screw it up. That's just the way they are. I don't understand the overnight oats craze. I think they are beyond nasty myself. I've made them 3 different ways and they always turn out disgusting. Regular oatmeal is so much yummier.
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    i use vanilla greek yogurt, not as tangy as the plain. I also prefer Dannon Okios sweeter than Chobani vanilla.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    You probably didn't screw it up. That's just the way they are. I don't understand the overnight oats craze. I think they are beyond nasty myself. I've made them 3 different ways and they always turn out disgusting. Regular oatmeal is so much yummier.

You're doing it wrong then

Banana cheesecake overnight oats with reeses puffs and pb patties

2012-02-04%252014.08.15.jpg
  • unluckyIrish
    unluckyIrish Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    bump for all the good suggestions