PCOS'ers please help!

Options
Hey all, I'm mega struggling with diet, have gained about a stone and a half in 3-4 months! :noway: I have PCOS and a Prolactinoma. :sick: I am always hungry and need big portions to often satisfy my appetite. I'm also a terrible comfort eater.:blushing:

I know some of my issues are related to the illnesses and some of it emotional eating.

Any ideas which might help and also do peeps think Metformin is a good way to go with the PCOS?

Any ideas to help with diet / lifestyle changes would be awesome. I'd like to start trying for a family soon and with my BMI I'm sure no doctors will help me with fertility issue :sad:

All help and encouragement much appreciated xxx:flowerforyou:

fairyfay xxx

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    in my experience, low carb is the way to go with pcos.
    why take drugs when you can fix it with food? or rather, the lack of certain foods =]
  • pcosbeachbodycyster
    pcosbeachbodycyster Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and currently have a group as well as blog for beachbody users with PCOS. I am blogging my journey with PCOS and my weight loss using Turbofire and shakeology. Please feel free to join if you are currently doing a program or have question or just a support group with fellow cysters.
    http://pcosbeachbodycyster.blogspot.com/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/350587271685576/
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and Metformin was the only way I could jumpstart my weight loss (and I've done low carb and the whole 9 yards and it still didn't budge!). I would try low carb first if you haven't because that is typically what helps when you have insulin resistance. If all else fails, Metformin has worked great for me. I am on the extended release version and I don't have bad side effects or anything. Insulin resistance can cause weight loss resistance so if you can get that under control, you can move forward.
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well. I've been on Metformin for 8 years. I've had the dose lowered as I've lost weight, Every single doctor I've seen in the past 8 years even in multiple states though say I will have to stay on the medication, but then again I'm insulin resistant, and could quite easily become type 2 diabetic.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    in my experience, low carb is the way to go with pcos.
    why take drugs when you can fix it with food? or rather, the lack of certain foods =]

I agree. My doctor and dietician both suggested that I go with a low carb diet, basically the diet guideline that the American Diabetic Association follows. I was on Metformin for about 5 months, but once I switched to gluten free/low carb (although I do cheat sometimes, I'm def not perfect on that), I no longer needed the Metformin. Changing my diet like that seriously helped me. I always struggled, losing and gaining the same 10 lbs over and over again but as soon as I adapted this kind of diet and really focused on my exercise, I saw a huge change. Just cut out the starches, while still getting carbohydrates from fruits and veggies (although 2-3 servings of fruit a day is pretty much the max recommended for the ADA diet), and you should notice a difference!
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I switched to leangains which has helped me to not spread my meals out and focus on a few large meals which leaves me much more satisfied. I used to be on metformin, spiralactone and BPC before I had enough of the pharmaceutical racket and gave all the drugs up and went to accupuncture once a week for 6 months, it helped relax me and get me regular with my period.

Now having lost about 49 lbs now everything is normalizing. Low carb is very good for PCOS, I try to eat proteins and healthy fats to keep me satisfied. Good luck.
  • robynj88
    robynj88 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've been on Metformin for 5 months and its the only thing I've noticed help me kick off my weight loss too. I also try and follow a low GI diet as much as possible and exercise as often as I can. Without the Metformin however I was doing all these things before and noticing no changes. I'd stopped putting on weight but I wasn't getting rid of any of it though.

My first piece of advice for anyone with PCOS is not to go see a gynaecologist - you need an endocrinologist. nobody understands hormones like those guys! Mine was amazing, prescribed me Metformin straight away which can also really help with fertility issues. As we're not trying for kids yet she was explicit that we be careful and use protection otherwise we could easily find ourselves unexpectedly pregnant!

Low carb where you can, but try and stick with the low GI foods as much as possible. You don't need to give up all carbs, you just need to choose the right ones. And the groups on this site for PCOS sufferers are also full of useful tips so I recommend joining up!

Good luck on your weight loss journey, feel free to friend me if you want some ideas on what to eat!
  • Maddi_InBetweenDays
    Options
    I have PCOC and some of the accompanied issues (thyroid, insulin resistance etc). Since I have been exercising and losing weight, my symptoms have virtually disappeared, as well as having clear ultra sounds!

What has been working for me is consistent exercise, a mostly plant based diet and low gylcemic index food choices (food that has less of an impact on spiking blood sugar and contributing to insulin resistance.) If you need big portions, try and get as many fresh veggies into you as possible.

Also, breaking the comforting eating cycle is hard. Try substituting something else when you need comfort - reading an addictive book, having a hot tea and sitting on the patio, snuggling with a pet.

Feel free to add me if you need support and a cheerleader along the way. You can do this!
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I do not take metformin. Have your doctor see if you're insulin resistant first, and then if you are take the metformin. Go see a reproductive endocrinologist before you're ready to start a family so that you can get the PCOS under control and allow him or her to advise you how to manage the disorder. I am currently under a reproductive endocrinologist's care for PCOS and obesity, which was the best decision I ever made.
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I suffer from PCOS and since starting low carb I have seem much better results than say, doing a lowfat low cal diet. You have to think of lowcarb as lifetime treatment for the PCOS though. Keep doing workouts mixed with cardio and strength training, and I garuntee you will see results! I think the main thing is to stick with it. no going off for a week and then getting back on...if you want to have a cheat day, then do so, but make sure you get right back on the lowcarb wagon the very next day:) Consistency ya know? I've chosen to read and follow Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution. He mentions PCOS several times in the book. Since being on Atkins, I no longer need metformin( thank god because the side effects for me personally were horrendous!), and have regular menstrual cycles now! Amazing for me, because I tried for 2 years to get my cycles to regulate and nothing....been on Atkins since end of April this year, and BOOM everything is normalizing within my body! Good luck! Im here everyday if you'd like to add me! questions/comments welcome!
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    There are several groups on MFP for women with PCOS, I recommend starting with one of them.

I too have PCOS. I have never taken metaformin (sp?), but I've read that women who take it either love it or hate it. It's mainly sucessful with PCOSers who have insulin resistance, so it might be good if you have that.

I personally started out taking birth control to help with the symptoms, but after 4 years and no improvements, I finally quit taking it. I feel so much better now that I'm not taking it, and I'm actually starting to lose some weight.

I take everyday:

A multivitamin: GNC Women's Ultra Mega
    GNC Liquid B Complex (really good for women with PCOS, helps if you're feeling sluggish and some women with hair loss say it helps them)
    GNC Triple Strength Fish Oil
    Nature's Bounty 2000 mg Cinnamon with Chrominum
    Nature's Way Vitex Herbal Medication

Also, I cut down on sugar. I no longer drink soda, and stick to clean eating. It helps I have celiac disease and I cannot have gluten anyway. I also stay away from dairy and soy, soy will especially screw with your hormones and some women have problems with soy messing with their cycles.

I personally do not want children so I have never studied the infertility caused by PCOS. You should join one of the groups here on MFP, they are sure to have loads more information on this issue.
  • kathrynangelabaird
    Options
    I also suffer from PCOS and got told last week by my Doctor that Metformin should only be used as a last resort and if you have diabetes in the family.

She suggested to me to try lower carb and the exercise.

I'm just about to on "the pill" to help regulate my body as I was an emotional eater due to having bleedings around 3 times a month and constantly being moody, bloated, had cravings, highly emotional - adverts made me cry!! and well I was so cranky my boyfriend told me to go to the docs! haha.

I'd suggest low carb for sure.

I've just started on Atkins and I'm on day 3 and I can honestly say I've not had the crappy feeling of being on a diet yet, which is nice as I usually give up a week into the diet!

Even walking 30 minutes a day and eating healthier and lower carb should start the weightloss for you :)

good luck for the future. I'm hoping one day I can have a kid without any medical help. Deffo in the same boat as you.

Kathryn x
  • autumnesque
    Options
    I agree with other posters that low glycemic foods + exercise are really effective. I took Metformin for about 3 years for reactive hypoglycemia, and was also on the pill, but still experienced a lot of symptoms from PCOS that doctors couldn't really help me with. I decided to go off the pill after 5 or so years of use, and unexpectedly became pregnant. I had to take Synthroid for hypothyroid due to pregnancy, and of course after I discovered I was pregnant I went off Metformin, also. I have not had to take Metformin since finding out I was pregnant, my reactive hypoglycemia hasn't returned in full. I currently use the Eat Clean Diet guidelines for planning my meals and I love it. Although I am a cheese and booze addict, I find I don't crave these things at all when I eat 'clean'. I'm also training for a half marathon, so booze isn't a desirable element in my diet when I have to get up and run the next morning! I don't feel deprived until I run out of vegetables to fill my plate with each meal :)

Metformin can have different effects on different people. I never had a problem with the side effects, personally, and who knows if it helped me become pregnant. It is commonly prescribed for women with fertility issues, and the last time I visited the endocrinologist, they told me that Metformin users have an across the board 40% lower chance of cancers. Making the decision to take drugs of any kind is a big decision, and in my opinion it's always better to try to correct problems nutritionally and with exercise first. Sometimes, though, one's body does need help in the form of drugs. Try not to judge yourself for your decision, whichever way you go. Good luck!
  • Hellevangelist
    Options

Also, breaking the comforting eating cycle is hard. Try substituting something else when you need comfort - reading an addictive book, having a hot tea and sitting on the patio, snuggling with a pet.

That is so true! Try adding in exercise to replace the emotional eating. It sounds nuts, but it really does help. Going for a walk or focusing on stretching your muscles can be enough of a distraction that you stay away from food! It's really helped me; I too tend to eat my feelings! :wink:
  • grandmatimes9
    Options
    dont mean to sound dum. what is POCS?
  • danielledimedio1985
    Options
    dont mean to sound dum. what is POCS?

PCOS stands for Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome. it's a hormonal disorder affecting 1 in 10 women. it is often accompanied with side effects such as insulin resistance, male pattern baldness, hirsutism, absent or irregular menstrual cycles, weight gain and obesity, and infertility. there is no cure for PCOS, however through proper diet and exercise the symptoms can be controlled.
  • Uxorial
    Uxorial Posts: 38
    Options
    I lost weight with PCOS eating low carb and high protein. I did eat whole grain carbs, and basically cut out all processed foods. I lost about 100 lbs that way.
  • internationalmf
    Options
    thx for starting the group.
    Currently getting tested.
    But wracking my brain and reading up all about it before I even know for sure.
  • Fairyfay
    Fairyfay Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I've bitten the bullet and started the metformin:sick: , after trying the low carb and nothing happening. Really hoping it will lower my sugar cravings at some point.:smile: You are all amazing and fantastic, thanks so much for your support.
    luv fairyfay x :heart: