To all my PCOS ladies...

Options
After doing a lot of research on the subject, I bought a spearmint plant and plan to have a cup or two, of spearmint tea, a day to help combat the consequences of having PCOS. Spearmint is supposed to help by evening out androgen levels which is what causes the stubborn belly fat, excessive body hair, and horrific periods we love so much. Has anyone tried this? I'll let you guys know how this goes. So far, the only negative I've heard is that if you take too much (way more than I'm planning) You could have a panic attack (Meh, been there) and that could interfere with iron absorption. That's easily remedied by having more iron so I'm not worried about that.

Replies

• kbd388
    kbd388 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've talked with my doctor about PCOS as I have many of the symptoms. What do you mean by horrific periods? Heavy bleeding?

Would love to hear more about the spearmint.
  • Halfangel
    Halfangel Posts: 49
    Options
    I've talked with my doctor about PCOS as I have many of the symptoms. What do you mean by horrific periods? Heavy bleeding?

Well, if you're anything like me, you only get one once or twice a year and when you do, it's like you make up for all the time you didn't. My bleeding, whenever it actually happens, lasts for anywhere from spotting for a day or two or extremely heavy for anywhere from 17-28 days. I was put on 2,000 mg of Metformin to help with this and the diabetes-like insulin resistance PCOS is responsible for...but it was awful being on it and all it did was slow the bleeding down, not actually normalize it. It was supposed to help me lose weight too, and I did, because it made me so sick, I couldn't keep anything down but a glass of milk a DAY. I also have severe cramps when I'm on my period. So far, I've been ok, but only because I haven't had a period in like, 4 months. What's more horrific to me, is just how random it is. I mean, I get none of the pms symptoms before the actually bleeding and have no calendar to really go by and it just comes and goes.

As far as the spearmint, I've read that improvement can be felt and seen in as little as fives days. I'll let you know.
  • pcosbeachbodycyster
    pcosbeachbodycyster Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and currently have a group as well as blog for beachbody users with PCOS. I am blogging my journey with PCOS and my weight loss using Turbofire and shakeology. Please feel free to join if you are currently doing a program or have question or just a support group with fellow cysters.
    http://pcosbeachbodycyster.blogspot.com/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/350587271685576/
  • Leahu8
    Leahu8 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have PCOS and hopefully when I go see my new doctor I can be put back on my meds. I know that I have a super hard time losing weight. It's taken me six months to loose 10 pounds.

I haven't heard about spearmint. Hope it works for you!
  • michelle_mareshfuehrer
    Options
    I have PCOS and haven't heard of that or tried it. I have an amazing doctor and have lost about 25lbs., periods are now regular and on time, and most of my symptoms are gone. She has me on 500mg Metformin, work out 5-6 days/week, and 1200 cals and less than 100g carbs/day. I havent felt this good in years. I think it's a better long term solution.
  • michelle_mareshfuehrer
    Options
    Did you take the slow release Metformin? I never got sick with mine, but it is slow release.

Well, if you're anything like me, you only get one once or twice a year and when you do, it's like you make up for all the time you didn't. My bleeding, whenever it actually happens, lasts for anywhere from spotting for a day or two or extremely heavy for anywhere from 17-28 days. I was put on 2,000 mg of Metformin to help with this and the diabetes-like insulin resistance PCOS is responsible for...but it was awful being on it and all it did was slow the bleeding down, not actually normalize it. It was supposed to help me lose weight too, and I did, because it made me so sick, I couldn't keep anything down but a glass of milk a DAY. I also have severe cramps when I'm on my period. So far, I've been ok, but only because I haven't had a period in like, 4 months. What's more horrific to me, is just how random it is. I mean, I get none of the pms symptoms before the actually bleeding and have no calendar to really go by and it just comes and goes.

As far as the spearmint, I've read that improvement can be felt and seen in as little as fives days. I'll let you know.
  • dawnagetsfit
    Options
    I drank 1 cup 3x a day of loose leaf spearmint tea for a month and I did notice a change in the texture and growth rate of my facial hair. The thing with spearmint is you have to drink it everyday and they recommend 3 cups. Once you stop, so do the benefits shortly after.

I also used powdered Inositol which also helps with weight, hair and acne. I bought somewhat low-end spearmint tea (I got like 2lbs for less than $10 on Amazon) so I love to put the inositol in my spearmint tea because it lightly sweetens it and just gives it this fantastic flavor.

I stopped drinking the tea & inositol about a month ago because of some OTHER health problems and I needed to eliminate supplements to see if they were the cause (which they weren't), but I plan to start back up soon because they work wonderfully!
  • AliciaNorris81
    AliciaNorris81 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have heard about the spearmint. Personally, I think it does something. I started buying spearmint tea and adding a bit of cocoa powder to it (YUM!) and I noticed a slight change in the hair but didn't help much with the periods (weight loss kicked those back into gear...every damn month...like clockwork :grumble: ) I haven't tried the fresh though. I will have to pick some off of my psycho spearmint plant in the back yard and give it a shot.

Also, mint is one of those things (Especially in a drink) that "tricks" your appetite so it makes you a little less hungry. Try a few mint leaves in some water...does it make you less hungry than just plain water? For me it did. For others, it didn't.

Good luck to you! Oh...and personally, I think mint makes EVERYTHING better and it is my kryptonite. :laugh:
  • cbroadaway2
    Options
    Yeah same here, when I was on regular metformin I lost weight like never before. But that was only because I was so sick all of the time. I tried extended release and haven't had the gastro issues since.
  • pcosbeachbodycyster
    pcosbeachbodycyster Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am now on extended release and it work wonders for me. I have not heard of the spearmint thing thought. Let us know how it goes. If you need some help or encouragement with weightloss i have a group on facebook and will be starting a 90 day challenge on August 20th, if you ladies are interested. SEXY BY NOVEMBER, right in time for the holidays. I will be starting a challenge group it will be a accountability and support group. I will have daily assignments and prizes for participation and success. If you are interested ask to join my group on facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/350587271685576/, i will have details there. I also will be doing it right along with you and blogging and adding videos of my weight loss journey before and during those 90 days!
  • TimedEventSystem
    Options
    I personally drink ginger and peppermint tea. It helps marginally but mine is a little out of control, haha.
  • PriyankaP123
    Options
    Hi! I was diagonised for pcod two years back.. After trying evry possibl way to cure it I finally came through homeopathy medicines which can cure pcod completely in 1.5yrs. Homeopathy is a form ancient medical science and is very well knwn in India. It is a slow process but guarantees superb results. I am in the 8th month of my treatment and til now my menses are become regular and my face is completly free frm d horribl pomples wic i had earlier. I hope this will be helpful for you.
  • callumbirchall820
    Options
    hi there any tips on which homeopathy medcines to try it sounds as if its really helped you