I just signed up for my first 5K!

Options
I never thought I'd register for a 5K (or any event, to be honest) and I REALLY never thought I'd be excited about it:-)

Or that I'd do it in my forties! I'll probably walk/jog most of it, but the important thing is that I'M DOING IT!!!

yay me:-)

Replies

• peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I ran my second ever 5k today :) good luck with yours!!
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    whoo hoo! go you!
  • RunAlyndaRun
    RunAlyndaRun Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Is it as addictive as people say? I'm at the stage where I just want to survive/finish it:)
  • shelbiejo
    shelbiejo Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm signing up for my first one tomorrow! Sooo exciting!!
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    A year from now you'll be trying to figure out what to ditch all the damn t-shirts. Welcome to the club :-)
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy running you will prob like it. I have my 2nd one this weekend and cant wait. Drgndancer is right, the t-shirts only go up to XL on most races around here. So I pay for a shirt I will never wear! WOO HOO!! First race, just go out and have fun. Its def a different experience then you would expect. Good luck!

http://freew67.blogspot.com/
  • EellaK
    EellaK Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Is it as addictive as people say? I'm at the stage where I just want to survive/finish it:)

Yes. I walked one, just to support a friend of mine and to get my butt off the couch. That was two years ago. Last year, I did 5, I think, and this year I've already done one 5k and a half-marathon, and I'll probably do at least two, maybe three more! I'm still not a runner (I jog/walk) but I LOVE the atmosphere of the race, the sense of accomplishment, and besting my last time. I'm getting better at jogging, and hoping to run my whole race in October.

For me, having a concrete goal keeps me exercising.

Have a great time; it's so much fun!
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Good for you!
  • msps1973
    msps1973 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My first one is in 3 weeks~ The Color 5k in Milwaukee. I am soooo excited!!!!!!!
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! You're going to have so. much. fun.
  • JamieCRodriguez
    JamieCRodriguez Posts: 88 Member
    Options

Yup! Addictive. You start out wanting to finish. Then you'll want to do another to try to run the entire 5k. Then you'll want to go again to improve your time. Next thing you know, you're hooked! Enjoy you first! Great job!
  • dblred0728
    dblred0728 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My first 5K was this past Saturday on my 41st Birthday to be exact. I started the C25K earlier this year and got up to doing 3 miles before I would even consider entering. I reached that goal a couple weeks prior to the 5K. My time wasn't that great 36:44 but I finished! It was a great accomplishment for me and I'm sure it will for you too no matter how slow you are or how much you walk. Your way ahead of most even before the race!
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    you are going to get such a great sense of achievement when you cross that finish line!

Yes I think it's addictive. Did my first race (a half marathon) a month ago and am signed up for me second in 4 weeks time.......
  • flakeandcake
    Options
    Amazing work - well done! Hope you have a great time!
  • RunAlyndaRun
    Options
    I'm signing up for my first one tomorrow! Sooo exciting!!

Congrats! When is your race? Mine is on September 23rd.
  • RunAlyndaRun
    Options
    A year from now you'll be trying to figure out what to ditch all the damn t-shirts. Welcome to the club :-)

That's pretty funny! I guess I won't run out of work out shirts, huh? Maybe I won't have to do laundry as often;-)
  • RunAlyndaRun
    Options
    Last year, I did 5, I think, and this year I've already done one 5k and a half-marathon, and I'll probably do at least two, maybe three more!

That's fantastic! Amazing what we can do when we make the decision to do it, isn't it?
  • RunAlyndaRun
    Options
    My first 5K was this past Saturday on my 41st Birthday to be exact. I started the C25K earlier this year and got up to doing 3 miles before I would even consider entering.

I'm doing my first one almost a month after my 41st birthday. I decided that my forties will be my healthiest decade thus far. I'm tired of not living my life and watching tv all of the time. i want my kids to see a mom who loves being active and healthy:-) I'll have to look up the C25K as I'm not sure what that is. I just downloaded the Couch to 5K app to my iPhone and I'll start it today.
  • RunAlyndaRun
    Options
    Thank y'all so much for the encouragement! I cannot believe how motivational and encouraging everyone is on this website:-) What a great support group!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    C25K is Couch to 5k.

I did my first 5k in February. I've since done 3 more 5ks and a 10k and have already picked out 2 half marathons, a 5 mile, a 10k, and a 5k to run in the next 6 months. Yes it's addictive.

A year ago I wouldn't run across the street for free beer. Now I run across town for no other reason than just because.

Good luck and have fun in your first race!