Polar HRM - Counting Cals Outside Target Heart Range?

Options
Does anyone know if the Polar HRM's count the calories you burn while you're outside your heart rate range? For example, I noticed several times during spin class last night that I was working above what my Polar said was my target heart rate range--were those calories counted in my total?

I ask because, while I know the calorie counts on MFP are way high, they typically show me burning over 1,000 calories for every 60 minute spin class. I used my HRM at class last night and it only showed about 700. I tend to believe the HRM, but if those extra calories I was burning when I went over the range weren't counted...

What do you guys think?

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    To my knowledge, it counts everything, but is less accurate if you end up in the anaerobic range. The HRM is designed for aerobic workouts.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    HRMs at the level of the FT4 cannot distinguish between different types of activity. The algorithms used for calorie estimates assume that you are engaging in steady-state cardio.

So, yes, it will still continue to count. However, if you are consistently over your "zone", it likely means that both your maximum HR and your "zones" are set too low. If max HR in the HRM is too low, then the HRM will assume you are working at a much higher intensity and will overestimate your calories.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    HRMs at the level of the FT4 cannot distinguish between different types of activity. The algorithms used for calorie estimates assume that you are engaging in steady-state cardio.

So, yes, it will still continue to count. However, if you are consistently over your "zone", it likely means that both your maximum HR and your "zones" are set too low. If max HR in the HRM is too low, then the HRM will assume you are working at a much higher intensity and will overestimate your calories.
    this
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I was regularly over the Target heart rate that was in my FT4 so I adjusted it up. I still go over once in a while, but that's when the intensity int he class is REALLY high.

On a side note-over a 1000 calories for a spin class? I burn 330 in 45 minutes on a good day. Yikes! (and if I didn't have a HRM my perceived exertion would still be like a 7-8).
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Yes it does.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being "outside the Polar HR zone" - it's the only feature I dislike on my FT4.

There are several HR zones and for improved fitness and performance we have to exercise in each of them (during different sessions) as they actually improve different aspects of our physiology.

A good representation of this is here:
    http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/heart-rate-calculators/hrzone

If you check out any running or cycling training plan e.g. a 12 week plan for a half marathon you see each week has workouts that target each of those zones.