Sweeteners in Coffee/Tea

Options
Ok, for the most part I am good on my intake in all categories except for sugar!!! My coffee creamer sucks the total sugar goal away..... i started playing with other ideas on sweeteners but they do the same.... I think that this is the reason i have plateaued so I need to figure something out......

What is your way to cut the sugar and still have great tasting coffee/tea......

Replies

• TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I was a tea with three sugars addict many times a day up until 4 or so months ago.

Since I have cut the carbs I start my days with coffee and heavy cream then move over to unsweetened green tea.

Much longer lasting and satisfying for me.
  • sabras18
    sabras18 Posts: 24
    Options
    I was a tea with three sugars addict many times a day up until 4 or so months ago.

Since I have cut the carbs I start my days with coffee and heavy cream then move over to unsweetened green tea.

Much longer lasting and satisfying for me.

Love Unsweetened tea!!!

does the heavy cream sweeten it enough.... thinking of switching to a flavored coffee with heavy cream to get the light flavor i love waking up too

i am an avid passion tazo tea unsweetened from starbucks drinker.... i buy the ice brew bags for home......
  • kbmiller27
    kbmiller27 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I just switched mine today, too. I cannot go without my coffee!! I bought that Truvia stuff to have in addition to some sugar free creamer. Cut way back on my usual calories, but I think I'm going to have to get used to it. Maybe I put too much Truvia in there....
  • amanda3983
    amanda3983 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use Nu Stevia from a company called NuNaturals for a sugar replacement in all my family drinks. It can be purchased from iherb.com. Dissolves better than any other stevia on the market. I also buy fat free half and half, yummy coffee. Try this out, hope you like it. You might think the stevia seems expensive but remember stevia is several times stronger than sugar. I use a teaspoon per quart of ice tea.

Amanda
  • sabras18
    Options
    thanks i will have to go get some
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I add non-dairy creamer and Stevia in my cuppa. Feel free to look at the Buffs & Potions section of my diary. :)
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    If you're allergic to ragweed, be careful. Stevia (while fantastic - wish I could use it) is related to Ragweed unfortunately.

The xylitol stuff is food but make sure you're buying the one made from Birch trees - not the corn one! They are using GMO (Genetically Modified Organism) corn to make it so that stuff is NOT good for you. Also, watch out if you have a dog household - it's toxic. A tiny amount will kill a pet pretty fast - complete kidney failure.

I still use sugar but now I use Sucanat which at least has some miniscule amount of vitamins - they can't list them as they are trace but it's just the sugar cane crushed which is better than refined sugar. I've slowly reduced the amount until my taste buds adjusted so now I can do three flat (not heaping teaspoons). Basically, I use sugar but I watch how I add it into my diet and I keep it limited.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Oops. I forgot to mention, some of the non dairy creamers out there use Corn Syrup (that can be GMO), where possible - look for one that doesn't contain that. Everything I've read about GMO and Corn Syrup seems to indicate that this is a bad combo. Natural is always better for you.

I agree with the above poster though - Stevia is the way to go if you're not allergic. If you don't have a dog - xylitol is good if it's the right type.
  • coppertop_4
    coppertop_4 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Never in a million years did I think I could enjoy black coffee ever.... I used 3-5 spoonfuls of creamer and two spoonfuls of sugar!

I'm drinking black coffee now and I love it! It's about finding a coffee that is not bitter!

Challenge yourself to drink just ONE cup of coffee a day black. That will help cut out some of the sugars.

Fat free half and half and a bit of splenda or truvia could work for you. Splenda has the "coffee flavors" available.

Half and half seems sweeter to me if I froth it too... not sure why but it does.

You could add cinnamon to the grounds of our coffee before brewing. Maybe that will be enough sweetness to just add some half and half. The fat free stuff is only 10 calories per tablespoon.

Your first cup of coffee each day will probably be the hardest one so change that one last!!!

Good luck!
  • CoffeeJunkieMann
    CoffeeJunkieMann Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    International Delight makes Sugar Free Creamer.

1 tbsp (15 mL) is
    Calories 20 Calories from fat 5
    That and Splenda works for me.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options

Half and half seems sweeter to me if I froth it too... not sure why but it does.

You could add cinnamon to the grounds of our coffee before brewing. Maybe that will be enough sweetness to just add some half and half. The fat free stuff is only 10 calories per tablespoon.

Sometimes I add a few drops of vanilla to my milk before I heat and froth it. That and sometimes adding cinnamon to the grounds gives it a sweeter flavor without adding sugar.
  • charliwarli
    charliwarli Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Buffs and Potions, that is AMAZING!!!! And an excellent idea to add to the diary so that everything's just not in the standard categories!!!
  • sabras18
    Options
    so many ideas!! thanks so much!!

I cant do the sugar free stuff as my husband hate the taste..... so I decided to play with whats in my pantry because i live in the south and shopping on sundays it not my cup of tea....lol.......and had to share the recipe!!!!

12 oz fat free evaporated milk
    12oz half and half
    1/4 c clover honey

heat on stove to dissolve and mix honey in the milks....... mason jar to store..... 9g sugar 102 calories, 10 carbs in a serving of 4 tbl!!! it taste good at is so tomorrow i will put in my coffee and hope it work
  • sabras18
    Options
    International Delight makes Sugar Free Creamer.

1 tbsp (15 mL) is
    Calories 20 Calories from fat 5
    That and Splenda works for me.

i have to be careful with sugar free stuff.....and my husband hates the taste other wise i would be all over it!!!! Thanks for the idea
  • sabras18
    Options

Your first cup of coffee each day will probably be the hardest one so change that one last!!!

Good luck!
    [/quote]

I was thinking of switching to a flavored coffee to get a little flavor...... i put cinnamon in in the ground and it over flowed my machine was the oddest thing ever!!! thanks for the tip
  • anjsdav
    anjsdav Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I use either Splenda, True Via / Pure Via (Stevia), or Equal. A friend of mine likes the blue agave nectar (syrup) but it is a low glycemic sugar so its not 0 cals (It's 60 cals).