Weight training throughout the day

Options
Am I doing more harm than good if I do weight training throughout the day? Example: Sets of curls at 9am; Sets on the Bench Press at 10:30; Rows at noon.

Am developing a home gym routine and would find time management benefit of being able to break up the full routine but want to consider the affect on the benefits of the routine itself.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    You just sort of have to warm up again. If I could, I'd probably break up squats in the morning with deadlifts at night.
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda understanding what you are doing. So if that routine in Monday, what do you do on Tuesday etc.?
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Honestly haven't ever really seen anything on the subject. Main thing would probably be to do big compound lifts first and isos that could degrade performance on big lifts done later.
  • MrDangerSass
    Options
    Thanks for the inputs so far.

Truth is I'm still developing the routine around my home gym. My first post was just example for the topic. I've spent the last six to nine months adjusting eating habits and increasing cardio and getting my weight down and now wanting to turn the corner and get back to weight training which I haven't done in more than 15 years.

I work from home and my work schedule can get fairly intense so want to be able to take advantage of downtimes which can come at different points throughout the day but not for extended periods. Plus like to keep aside early evenings for family as well as about an hour of cardio (walking/running).

Goals:
    gain strength; limit mass or bulk (is that possible?)

Restrictions:
    home gym: Marcy Compact Training System (so I don't need a spotter), 300 lbs Olympic free weights, curl bar, heavy bag)

Environment:
    Work from home most days of the week but days can be from 6am to 8pm or 9am to 5 or 8am - midnight.

I'm somewhat in the planning stages and still looking at various "plans" like 5x5, Starting Strength, etc. My old routine (let me dust my memory off) was typically:

Mondays/Thursdays: Chest/Shoulders/Biceps
    Tuesdays/Wednesdays: Back/Triceps/Legs
    Wednesday: "Off";
    Some kind of Cardio: (Bike, Walk, etc) five days

I'll be the first to concede that this may not be what I should be doing so I am open for change.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Work legs every workout day. Seriously. MORE SQUATS.
    Squats are the cornerstone of a strength training program. (The mortar is deadlifts.)