getting over abuse?

Options
2»

Replies

• SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I have another idea.... use your anger and pain in your workouts.... with every punch and kick let some of that hurt get released... I do it, and I can bet a lot of us posting here do it too..... "what doesn't kill us makes us stronger", not only mentally, but physically as well.
  • haylz247
    haylz247 Posts: 435
    Options
    They already took a part of your life from you, don't let them take anymore!!

I tell myself that all of the time...

You should really talk to someone professional just to get it ALL out, you will feel a lot better sweetie...Since you are over 18yrs old, the counselor cannot tell ANYONE else what you have told them...It's not the same as when you were young...Don't be worried, that is what they are here for....Just find someone that you connect with and feel like you trust. :flowerforyou:

Maybe... i dunno, I kinda feel like it's my fault :S

It's not your fault! Cruel people abuse others because they are unhappy with their lifes. I blame it on my dad. He was the adult. He should have stopped that witch. But he didn't. I have been out of the situation for 7 yrs now. He got divorced when i was 18. It was my fault then haha
    I haven't seen him for nearly a year now. I don't want to speak to him. He cheated on his gf. But that's another story.
    Oh and i don't talk to my grandparents because they knew something was going on because they didn't want to lose their son. Pathetic.

I just changed my surname to my mums maiden name and that has made me feel so much better.

So maybe it'll help if you don't have any contact with certain people?
    You can get through this. You're better than this :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

You should really talk to someone professional just to get it ALL out, you will feel a lot better sweetie...Since you are over 18yrs old, the counselor cannot tell ANYONE else what you have told them...It's not the same as when you were young...Don't be worried, that is what they are here for....Just find someone that you connect with and feel like you trust. :flowerforyou:

It's not your fault! Cruel people abuse others because they are unhappy with their lifes. I blame it on my dad. He was the adult. He should have stopped that witch. But he didn't. I have been out of the situation for 7 yrs now. He got divorced when i was 18. It was my fault then haha
    I haven't seen him for nearly a year now. I don't want to speak to him. He cheated on his gf. But that's another story.
    Oh and i don't talk to my grandparents because they knew something was going on because they didn't want to lose their son. Pathetic.

I just changed my surname to my mums maiden name and that has made me feel so much better.

Only problem is that right now I really can not afford to move out.

And it's ridiculous, my brother used to abuse the crap outta me but told me it's normal cos we're siblings... sure being stabbed and getting chased down the street with a knife is my fault? Having my head beaten against the ground till I was concussed and I was bleeding from my ears? Whatever :/ but because he is autistic my parents tell me it is ok cos he didn't know what he was doing, and it was my fault. Well maybe they should have tried to stop it!
  • haylz247
    Options
    [/quote]

And it's ridiculous, my brother used to abuse the crap outta me but told me it's normal cos we're siblings... sure being stabbed and getting chased down the street with a knife is my fault? Having my head beaten against the ground till I was concussed and I was bleeding from my ears? Whatever :/ but because he is autistic my parents tell me it is ok cos he didn't know what he was doing, and it was my fault. Well maybe they should have tried to stop it!
    [/quote]

they should not have blamed it on you. they should have stopped it.
    there is help out there for parents of autistic children. are you still getting hurt?
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

[/quote]

they should not have blamed it on you. they should have stopped it.
    there is help out there for parents of autistic children. are you still getting hurt?
    [/quote]

Not physically.
  • haylz247
    Options
    i wish i could just drag you out of there.
    tomorrow, go and make an appointment to see a counsellor
    they also may be able to suggest what you can do about moving out. do you not get any support from the government?
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options

I am so sorry, OP. I wish you peace and love <3
  • DefyGravity1977
    DefyGravity1977 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I was molested by my step-brother-in-law and my older sister. My older sister was violent with me. I have been dealing with these issues for 25 years. I have found that one day at a time is the key. I had major trust issues for many years and I still do. I have flashbacks at times when trying to be intimate with my spouse. My exhusband was bipolar and abusive to my oldest son. He was also verbally and mentally abusive to me. It will get better, dear.
  • ihatemyself13
    Options
    never. but you must stop it from continuing. get help. get out.

there are some aspects I've been able to move on from easier than others. I have forgiven. I am not angry at them. I understand that it wasn't my fault. but I blame myself for allowing it to continue. I don't trust myself. I am needy, jealous and insecure. I haven't had a normal relationship. I lost someone I might have had a chance with because I got too attached, felt I wasn't good enough, worthy. I was jealous of another woman. maybe I believed too easily that it was right.

I've had counseling but I still can't stop the negativity towards myself and control tge irrational jealousy.

good luck! please do what you can to get out!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I was abused sexually, physically, mentally as well. It has been a long process, but I have built a very happy life for myself and have a family of my own now. It is still a part of me, and how I see the world and sometimes I get triggered. I understand.
  • Janet9906
    Janet9906 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Find a good therapist, don't try and get through it on your own.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I've been there - not getting much sleep, nightmares, can't get away from the memories, anxiety, etc, etc. PTSD and depression from being abused by my brother.

I can't say it strongly enough - find a good therapist to help you. It doesn't have to rule your life.
  • Liasings
    Liasings Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I am very good at compartmentalizing when I'm awake. When I'm asleep is another matter. I have noticed, over the decades, that my dreams have changed. For years, when I dreamed about what happened to me, I was a cowering, frightened victim. Gradually, in the past two years, I've gone from quiet submission (I was told to be quiet and I was an obedient child) to speaking out to roaring out to confronting the person I feel most betrayed my trust. Interestingly, I began to to care for myself again at about that time.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    There probably won't be a set time when you are "over it". Eventually there will be more good day than bad days. Eventually you won't think about the abuse all the time. But every once and a while something will come up, something that you haven't quite healed from. It's a reality of life.

However, the best way to get over it enough to be functional is to face the pain head on. Don't bury it. Think it through. Feel the emotions. Cry. Scream. Balance the sadness with anger. Write letters to those who have hurt you, whether or not you send them. Process.
  • lemmanayde
    Options
    My heart breaks for you still being in that situation.
    I was sexually abused by female babysitters at ages 5 and 6, then by a male at age 8, then gang raped at 12 and 13.

It's been 8 years now, and I still have post-traumatic stress syndrome (PTSD), clinical chronic depression, anxiety, flashbacks and nightmares. I have tried a counsellor who told me I was making up lies because that couldn't possibly happen to somebody by so many unrelated people, a psychologist who told me I was filled with evil spirits and tried to take them out of me, another psychologist who said my problems were beyond her qualifications, and finally have a psychiatrist (8 years later) who actually understands me, doesn't make me recount every situation and actually works on the problems I have every day (nightmares, flashbacks etc). We are now working on taking me off medication instead of everyone else who put me on MORE.

My advice?
    -Get out of the situation- no matter what it costs. Live on the street if you have to, just get OUT OF THERE. The longer you stay, the more it costs you in the long run.
    -Excercise. Just get your anger and hurt out of your body- kick a punching bag. I do yoga- it stretches you, sheds calories, clears your mind and helps you focus. Also calms me down :)
    - Get rid of the crappy friends and keep the good- even if it's only one or two. You don't need people bringing you down.
    - Never EVER stop seeking help until you are ok. No matter how many frogs of counsellors and psychologists you go through, there will be that one prince there who will change your life. Don't give up.

I wish you all the luck in the world- you are not alone here. As you can clearly see, so many of us have gone through the crappest of times. You're going to be ok, and you're going to get through this. But don't expect it soon- it takes hard work.

Love,
    Emma
  • slkehl
    Options
    -Get out of the situation- no matter what it costs. Live on the street if you have to, just get OUT OF THERE. The longer you stay, the more it costs you in the long run.

I agree. Move out, stay at a friends house for a couple nights if you need to. Go to the bank and see if you can take out some kind of a loan. Go to the library for computers and look up where you can get free shelter, food, and medical care. You may even be able to find a shelter for battered women. I promise you that it is worth the risk. Don't get caught up by inertia, and don't try to justify staying. LEAVE.
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Growing up with my eldest sister was very traumatic. She has no conscience at all, was physically, mentally and emotionally abusive. My younger sisters, my brother and I all have scars on our bodies because of her. Not surprisingly we all ended up in foster care. As adults my younger sisters and I agreed that if she had been able to kill us as young kids and get away with it, she would have done it without hesitation.

I never did therapy because it was not offered in foster care. But one of the things I discovered is that there are three types of people who come out the other side of abuse. There are the victims, the survivors, and the fighters. And since I'm from the Ngapuhi tribe (NZ Maori) being a fighter has been bred into us for generations. I don't have nightmares or flashbacks. I thought that I was alcoholic for a while but had since realized that I had major angry problems that manifested in violence.

People are very astounded when I share my story. The distance from where I came from and where I am now is many many light years apart. My life is about choice. What I choose to do, how I choose to react, how I choose to act and what I choose to let affect me. The wreckage of my past molded me into the person that I am today. Compassionate, loving, strong, determined, nurturing, full of fun and life. I still have my dark moments but I choose not to inflect them on others. I know that I have stepped beyond my past. I have two adult children who grew up with love, stability, a sense of worth, knowing where they belonged and encouraged every step of the way.

There are many ways to heal. Mine probably would not work for many others. My biggest suggestion would be to start a journal. It's a very useful tool to get the crap out of your head. Then it allows you to come back and read it and see a little more clearly. I injured myself back in May and my head went crazy. I wrote myself a letter detailing my feels about all the stuff that was stuck in my head. I wasn't as depressed as I thought I was because even though my letter was painful to read days later, it made me laugh. I was able to step off the hamster wheel and move forward. Most importantly I was finally able to sleep. About two weeks later I offered the same advise to my BFF back in New Zealand. And she got similar results too.

I feel like I am rambling. But your post really touched me. I want for you to be strong. I want for you to be a fighter. I want for you to raise so far above those you abused you that you will be a beacon for some young person to follow out of their own darkness.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I was abused as a child, from my uncle. I have had the worst time getting over it. I saw 2 different therapists in the last few years. Depression was a big issue and so was anxiety attacks. I say "was"....I mean still is, tho its better than it used to be.
    I am on medication, and I hate having to take it,but it works.
    Some days are better than others. Sometimes I can go a whole week without thinking about the abuse. Then, all of a sudden, BAM!!! It eats me up inside and I dont think I can breathe.
    Find someone you trust that you can talk to.
    I am not crazy about bringing up this subject with just anyone. I cannot believe I am even writing this now.
    If you feel like crying, cry. There is nothing wrong with crying. I know because I do it a lot!
    Good luck to you!
  • slkehl
    Options
    Some days are better than others. Sometimes I can go a whole week without thinking about the abuse.

That is huge to me! I am still at the point where I can't imagine going through a whole day without thinking about mine. I hope that time comes for me someday.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Some days are better than others. Sometimes I can go a whole week without thinking about the abuse.

That is huge to me! I am still at the point where I can't imagine going through a whole day without thinking about mine. I hope that time comes for me someday.
    This was me a few years ago. You know I cried while reading this whole thread.
    I am not going to lie. Its hard!! Very hard!
    Therapy, medication, family, and god is what gets the through.
    For years I have asked myself, why did this have to happen to me? The only answer i can come up with, is, that I will be able to help someone else who has gone through the same thing!! So I am here if you need me.