Advice from ones with a S/O!

Options
2»

Replies

• pag41989
    pag41989 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My husband is not working out with me or anything but if I want to go to a restaurant with healthier food, we usually end up going there. I have been able to find something pretty healthy on pretty much any menu though. It helps to check the menu and nutrition info before going out to eat :) He also eats the same dinner meals as me since I cook our dinner but I usually just cook some rice or noodles and add it to his meal since I am sure just meat and veggies would leave him hungry. Support really is everything and I am thankful that my husband supports me so much. I don't think they have to do the same exact thing as you in order to support you but I sure hope they would at least make an effort even if they are just cheering from the sidelines :)
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    I feel your pain. My boyfriend is naturally slim and he wants to go out to eat often. Luckily, he is very encouraging and likes how I am trying to be healthy. Try planning a meal yourself and purchasing all of the ingredients and then cooking it together--planning and buying is half the work, and probably the half that he doesn't want to do. Or, when you do go out to eat, check the menu online beforehand and look up the nutritional information too. If you want to eat only a portion of what you order and have trouble controlling yourself, share an entree with your fiance or divide the meal in half and ask for it to be boxed up before you even start eating. As far as working out together goes, I find that one can be a bit more difficult. You might have luck trying to do something sports or competition oriented. Even playing golf together and walking would be a good start!
  • chunkylover22
    chunkylover22 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, this has really helped me!!
  • darnnells
    Options
    Try cooking at home using healthy recipes. I have cookbooks and watch cooking shows and now enjoy eating in. I don't always have time for extravagant meals, but if you buy the foods ahead of time I'm sure you can find a meal that you don't mind making. This saves both of you from the high calorie foods that restaurants offer.
  • dlrcpa
    dlrcpa Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is work into this slowly. Reach an agreement on how many times you are going to eat out per week (I assume this is dinners only.) Maybe 2X per week. Then to be fair - he picks the place one time, and you pick the place the next time. On the days that he picks the place, you will have to plan for calories at that meal, by saving calories from other meals, and exercising beforehand. On the day that you pick the restaurant, you can pick a healthier place. Many places have menus posted online so you can approximate the dish using the MFP calorie counters. Most places have main dish salads available or you can order an appetizer and a small salad. Try to focus on the experience of being out, rather than the food. I try to plan my meals at the beginning of the day, then I just have to stick to the plan as much as I can.
  • thebrianmo
    thebrianmo Posts: 108
    Options
    Okay, how do I start this?....... short, simple and to the point........

I am engaged to be married, and I want to drop 30 pounds (at least). I have been trying to eat better and work out 5 times a week. The problem is that my SO is not exactly on the same boat as me. I want to cut out eating out at restaurants, but when he always wants to go out and eat, I suggest a healthier option and it causes an argument. I ALWAYS over eat when at a restaurant. I also made him a MFP page (that he never uses). I also work out alone, and that is hard sometimes. I'm losing and he is gaining. I want us to do this journey together, but don't know how to approach the situation, because it always causes an argument. NEED ADVICE........

I know this is not what you're wanting to hear, but if he's not in agreement that he needs a lifestyle change then he will be unwilling to do this journey "together." You might want to consider "tough love." If he says, "I want to eat out." Respond by saying something like "You can eat out but I am not going to because I'm focused on making better food an lifestyle choices which will enable me to lose weight and be healthy. Just refuse to go and if he gets mad and acts like a baby you might want to begin to ask yourself if he's really the one you want to spend forever with.

I've been married for 7 years and my wife and I support each others life goals and ambitions. We don't always do them together and we don't usually work out together and that's okay. She prefers to ride the recumbent exercise bike and I prefer to be in the pool, but we are each others biggest fans and for any marriage to have staying power and truly be successful, each person has to be the other persons biggest fan and support system. He needs to respect your desire to make better choices for your health and weight loss even if he doesn't want to make those same choices for himself.
  • haylz247
    haylz247 Posts: 435
    Options
    do it for you!

if he doesn't want to do it, just let him do what he wants to do.

I know it sucks working out alone, but although me and my partner go at the same time, i'm off doing my thing and he goes and does his weights. I just zone out :) i do bug him from time to time :laugh:

As for the eating out issue, check menus online. Maybe have a starter as a main?