Very interesting research on weight loss rate

Options
From this New York Times article:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/01/dieting-vs-exercise-for-weight-loss/?src=me&ref=general

Researchers have shed a bit more light on the role that exercise plays in weight loss vs. diet alone. The highlight is that calorie dense foods combined with metabolic rate reductions automatically slow the rate at which pounds can be lost over time. Therefore, if a person only exercises and pays no attention to diet, they are likely to either not lose weight or even put it back on eventually.

Additionally, since the body naturally slows metabolism as pounds are lost, the dieter must recalibrate their caloric needs every so often to account for their reduced RMR. If not, their predicted weight loss will dwindle and they will hit the dreaded plateau.

Here is a fascinating online calculator that illustrates the improved weight loss prediction models from this research.
http://www.pbrc.edu/research-and-faculty/calculators/weight-loss-predictor/

Replies

• mathiasg
    mathiasg Posts: 32
    Options
    Great tool. Thanks for sharing.
  • debrawallin
    debrawallin Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Great article, thanks!
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Maintaining muscle mass with weight loss negates much of if not all of the decrease in metabolism that usually follows weight loss...
  • lambch0ps
    lambch0ps Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    This is great - thanks for posting. The only issue with it is that you can't modify the % of non-fat mass vs. fat mass - it assumes a set proportion. So it will not be accurate for someone that has higher than average muscle mass - it is not accurate for me - I plugged in my starting weight, calorie deficit, etc. and it overestimated the rate at which I lost. But its a great tool to illustrate how weight loss will slow down over time.
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    bump
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    This is awesome :D
  • Deedles2012
    Deedles2012 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mcmoosehall
    mcmoosehall Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    wow, thanks for posting :))
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • _beautiful_disaster_
    Options
    bump
  • PrncessBre
    PrncessBre Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    Good article, and the calculator with my deficit gave me the results I've been getting :)
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Maintaining muscle mass with weight loss negates much of if not all of the decrease in metabolism that usually follows weight loss...

Yes, this is true, but many people do less strength training than cadio. The muscle mass developed from cardio is not significant enough to compensate for the drop in metabolism. Also, when you do cadrio, you are making your body more efficient, therefore, when you are at rest (ie, not working out) you will burn fewer calories per hour than before you had started working out.

To the OP: Thank you for posting some legitimate information on here. There isn't enough "good" information on these forums.
  • Taryn1627
    Taryn1627 Posts: 120
    Options
    bump
  • Goofy076
    Goofy076 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    awesome thanks!!
  • brentdaniels
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Great information.
  • VogtAndrea
    VogtAndrea Posts: 236
    Options
    That WAS interesting!!! And pretty close to right on the money.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options

Yes, this is true, but many people do less strength training than cadio. The muscle mass developed from cardio is not significant enough to compensate for the drop in metabolism. Also, when you do cadrio, you are making your body more efficient, therefore, when you are at rest (ie, not working out) you will burn fewer calories per hour than before you had started working out.

To the OP: Thank you for posting some legitimate information on here. There isn't enough "good" information on these forums.

Didn't mean to sound like I was arguing with the OP, just saying there are ways to combat the drop in metabolism that is described in the article.